Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   deperate: gained 7 lb the first 3 days on induction (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=67215)

lamakhouri Tue, Oct-22-02 22:05

deperate: gained 7 lb the first 3 days on induction

Hi guys, I need help. I started atkins and gained seven pounds the first three days on induction. I have been following a lc plan for the past couple of years (LA weightloss). I have about 8 more pounds to lose. I wanted to follow a plan that would limit my hunger and help me lose the weight. I confess, i have overate from every portien I could eat. I also might have over-done it with the margerine and the butter. Also It's impossible for me to quit the coffee totally since i'm a mom of two, working part-time and part-tim in grad school.
What happened here? Could it be that the LA weightloss plan had something to do with it? If atkins says eat libarel amounts of certain food, such as chicken, how much is ok liberal and how much is too much. Also how much fat is too much fat. I dont get it? Help please.
What happens if you take coffee or asparetam (sp?).
Thanks guys.

alibubble Wed, Oct-23-02 03:30

Hi,
Have you got the Atkins book to use as reference ?
I say this because you mention "margarine" it's not one of the foods on induction....I quote from the book
"Butter is allowed, margarine is not. Margarine should be avoided not because of its carbohydrate content but because it is a potential health hazard"
Makes you think doesn't it !!

Eat as much protein as you like, it's free food. Go check out the Atkins webpage, they list the food you are allowed on induction

Are you near to TOM? This can play havoc on this diet, some gain, some don't even notice it coming.....apologies if you're a guy !

I've just completed 2 weeks on induction, only needed to lose 10lbs and have lost 5lbs already. I've been eating loads of chicken, fish, ham, eggs, cheese and the recommended amount of salad. All smothered or cooked in butter, cream and mayonnaise.

Silly question but did you weigh on different scales at all?

Ali

melissa07 Wed, Oct-23-02 05:20

hello lamakhouri!

If you would post your typical meal plan for a day, it might help to find potential problems. I'm not familiar with LA weightloss, so I'm not sure how it differs from the Atkins program. You definitely shouldn't be gaining on induction, I'm sure if you post your meals, and any medications or health conditions you may have, we can find out what is preventing your weight loss.

TeriDoodle Wed, Oct-23-02 05:25

What kind of diet is the LA diet?

Most likely it is water weight that you've gained, as it would be impossible for you to over-eat that many calories. I'd guess that you've been eating salty, processed foods and that TOM is on the way as well...... is that a possibility?

Are you keeping carbs to 20g/day?

The best way to lose that water weight is to DRINK WATER!! And LOTS of it!!! At least 64 oz a day... it should come off in a few days.

Being a "free" food doesn't give a person license to gorge on it... so careful about overeating. Try to eat until you are satisfied,not full. That is the way that calories are regulated. The fat in your diet provides greater satiety, so you may be liberal with the fat and I'd suggest a bit moderate on protein....this will keep you from being hungry and prevent excess protein being stored as fat.

Hang in there........and keep asking questions!

lamakhouri Wed, Oct-23-02 07:27

Guys,

thank you very much for your responses and support. What a relief. I woke up freeking out.

I'm a woman, but I'm not sure what TOM is. Also I did eat salty food and I ate TONS of protien. I would like to post my food plan for today. How can I do that? Any tips. In the meantime, perhaps I can put it here.

B: 3/4 cup egg white, 1 table macademian nut butter and 1 tabl. Almond nut butter (I allowed myself that since I dont have lot to lose... is that OK???) +2 cups coffee +1.5 liter water
Sn. 4 oz Parmasan cheese
L. 8oz chicken, 2 cups salad (can I have more than 8 oz chicken
D. 8 oz chicken, 1 cup salad

Does that make sense?
Thank you guys.

alibubble Wed, Oct-23-02 07:43

Time of Month !!

KatieB Wed, Oct-23-02 11:10

I used FitDay.com to count my carbs during induction. It takes a little while to get organized on it but I found Fitday a valuable tool in learning to count carbs. I found I was eating more carbs than allowed.

Katie

lamakhouri Fri, Oct-25-02 07:44

thanks Katie, I'll check Fitday out.... Lama

yvonne326 Fri, Oct-25-02 09:57

First, your body may be adjusting so don't panic.
I gained a few lbs in the start too and then quickly went on to lose 11 lbs the first month. Watch for hidden carbs also....and keep strict tabs on everything you eat....use a carb counter to help. If you must, measure your portions (my handy measuring cup and my postage scale helped in the beginning)..I was shocked what I thought was a 1/2 cup serving was really a cup and thus I did not accurately keep count. I learned.

Good luck!