Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Pardon me, but where did you get those carbs? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=96875)

Anshim Sat, Apr-05-03 18:01

Pardon me, but where did you get those carbs?

Hi again everyone -

Ok, I'm wondering where people get the bulk of their carbs from?

Also, is it OK to eat more than the 2 cups of veggies that Dr. Atkins recommends.....even if my carb count stays well below 20g?

What are some good sources of carbs....if I can't eat dairy and too many veggies?

After my first Induction week, I cut out all processed meats. Also, since I'm lactose intolerant I cut out all dairy, except for 1-2 oz of "hard" cheese (swiss, string cheese, jalapeno jack). So basically, all I'm eating are cooked meats and fresh veggies. And LOTS of water. Based on my Fitday stats, my carb numbers have plummeted. More than 80% of my carbs come from the raw veggies, and I'm still really low (averaging about 14g this past week). I'm definitely exceeding Dr. Atkin's recommendation of 2 cups per day. Also, because I cut out processed meats and cheese, my fat counts are also low.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!! I'm also checking out the Carbohydrate Counter Tool!!

:wave:
Anshim

Skamito Sat, Apr-05-03 18:13

Your title is so cute. :D

I remember thinking the same thing about upping carbs, especially when I was just starting OWL. In induction, two to three cups is not very much. I think Dr. Atkins gives that because his plan also allows splenda, cheese, cream, avocado, and olives, to name a few extras.

If you're light on the extras, you can practically eat all the low carb veggies you want. Have you happened across Fitday yet? It allows you to plug in your menu and it will calculate all your nutrition for the day. It's a bit tedious at first, but a handy tool for checking up on yourself.

To get up to 20 without dairy, eat those veggies!!! They're so good for you!

Past induction, of course, you'll find it easier to eat more since you have the choice of nuts, berries, higher carb veggies, and speciality low carb products. But for now, don't limit your veggies by measure, just by carbs. :)

Oh... and you mentioned your fat count being low. Why's that? You should up your fat with salad dressings, oil, and butter. Fat keeps you sated and will actually aid in the fat burning process. Don't be afraid of fat.

red1cutie Sat, Apr-05-03 18:13

Hi Anshim! I eat the bulk of my carbs from veggies. I rarely have cream. For the last two weeks I have been eating alot of broccoli and in order to reach my 20g carb allowance (if I only eat broccoli for a day I have to eat 22 ozs of broccoli). Try to get as close to 20g as you can. More veggies is better for you because you get more nutrients, more fibre and are more satisfied. The two cups salad and 1 cup veggies is a guideline but if you are under 20g you should increase your veggie servings. Especially since you are not having cream or alot of cheese (some cheeses have carbs).

I am also lactose intolerant so I stopped eating alot of cheese. I like havarti now and have had it 3 times so far. Its delicious and no carbs (Thanks Theresa).

I add fat to my diet by consuming 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil with each meal. Sometimes I have mayo too. You should probably add some fat in those forms.

Good luck!

Peace
red

red1cutie Sat, Apr-05-03 18:15

Hi Skamito! :D We were posting at the same time.

red

Skamito Sat, Apr-05-03 18:16

Wow, red we posted at the EXACT same time. With the same answer pretty much, of course. :)

Jannie Sat, Apr-05-03 19:24

carbs, carbs, carbs

They're all right, eat more veggies and fat!

Hey, Angela, checked out your pics-WOW! You da bomb, girl!! :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:

cc48510 Sat, Apr-05-03 19:43

1) Cheese
2) Celery
3) Spinach
4) Romaine Lettuce

I probably get a few grams from Diet Rites, and other near-zero carb treats (Jello and Kool-Aid) sweetened with Stevia (<1/2g per serving) or Splenda (<1g per serving). The only other things I eat are meat: Steak, Roast Beef, Salmon, Catfish, Chicken, Cornish Game Hen, Turkey, Hamburger, Ham, Pork, and Bacon.

I generally, throw Spinach and Romaine Lettuce into a salad bowl, and top it with Cheese. I snack on Celery stalks (3-5 a day). I eat the salad along with whatever meat I chose for that meal. I'm eating primarily Chicken right now, because I got alot of it while it was on sale.

Anshim Mon, Apr-07-03 08:49

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Well, raw veggies it is....I had a crazy weekend, and could only manage some hard salami slices, gouda and jalapeno jack cheese during the day on Sunday....I haven't had that much cheese since I started Induction, and I *definitely* felt bloated and tired from the salami and dairy!

But I *really* do miss cream....yummy!!!!

black57 Tue, Apr-08-03 01:38

I try to keep the count

I don;t worry about the calories. I count only the carbohydrate grams. If the count is low for the day I will add whaterver it takes to raise the carb level. Soy flour is low in carbs ( around 5 net carbs per 1/2 cup >>> something like that ) adn high in protein. I make low carb cookies, pancakes and fried chicken with soy flour breading. My hubby made very good gravy with it. Honey dew melon has 7 grams per 1/2 cup. Sometimes I deliberately keep my carbs way down so that I can reward myself with a serving of lays potatoe chips or an oreo cookie. I make mashed potatoes that have 1/2 the carbs. I can always level out my carbs.

RCFletcher Tue, Apr-08-03 02:05

Sorry, what's 'havarti' someone. Is it an American thing?
Robert

Elihnig Tue, Apr-08-03 08:29

I think harvarti is a kind of cheese. I couldn't find a listing for it though on either the carb counter here or fitday. I've looked for it but haven't seen in in our local limited selection store. All hard cheeses have some carbs, usually around 1 carb per ounce.

Beth

wils Tue, Apr-08-03 10:51

yes havarti is a very good cheese, you should be able to find it in the specialty cheeses just about anywhere I would think.

Anshim Tue, Apr-08-03 12:44

To me, havarti cheese just tastes like a relatively softer provolone with a slightly smoked flavor.

:)
Anshim

Katana Tue, Apr-08-03 12:53

Havarti is a Danish cheese