Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Emotional Issues & Body Image (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Trying to crawl out of my depression (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=103146)

uniquesoul Mon, May-05-03 04:50

Trying to crawl out of my depression

I just joined this forum. I am depressed. I had a back injury that has made me change my life.

~ I had to retire last year due to a back injury (jan. 2002) from a job i loved... I was a counselor. I started getting depressed last year when I knew I could not do my job effectivly due to the pain I experience...it consumes me.

~ I am being taken off my sick leave (L&I) and now I will have no income in next month and no insurance. I have not bee approved for SSI - go in for a review next week.

~ I put on over 100 pounds since my injury due to lack of movement....my back injury does not allow me to move much. ( not that I was in such perfect shape before then - now I weight 427)

~ My doctor said there is nothing they can do for my pain - nothing is a hard word to hear....

~ and on the home front... Oh, I best not get into that....

sooooo all in all I find myself in the deepest depression i have expienced in a long time....

Thank you for listening... remember..I am here if ever you need to visit... :rheart:

BeccaResRN Mon, May-05-03 05:53

Hello

I also have depression...not exactly sure why just do. My depression definetely has a seasonal flair to it so things are better now than this winter...which was the worst I can remember. I was so depressed...I still went to work but that was all...I thought about running my car into a tree alot. But thank God I didn't

I am on Zoloft and I am really really happy with it. I feel "up" and it seems to decrease my appitite too which is defineteely a plus.

i am also doing CAD in my own modified way...well feel free to stop by my journal anytime I'd love to chat

Oh are you on any meds? If not maybe you should look into that.

Bye YA :wave:

Lesle Tue, May-06-03 20:23

Hang in there uniquesoul!
And I agree, you should ask about meds, not just for the depression, but for the pain! No Dr should let you suffer when there are so many good and safe pain-relieving products out there! I know Mobic has been a lifesaver for my mother in law. It literally got her out of a wheelchair!
Talk to the Dr again...or might be time to switch docs!
I am about your age, and depressed too, but not on meds...just very unhappy with where I am in my life now, my marriage, my job, etc. I am close to your age and have 2 grown kids and 2 grandkids.
Say hello sometime, nice to meet people here that we share things in commom with.
Lesle

orzabelle Mon, May-12-03 12:23

Hi there Uniquesoul,

Depression? Been there. Nothing increases the appetite, and decreases the drive to be healthy like depression. (Years ago, and then more recently, I feel like I've been in the same place for different reasons) Physical health problems and pain are no help either, that's for sure.

Sounds like too much for one person to deal with on her own. You should definitely see about finding a therapist/psych. who can prescribe meds. Therapy is fantastic, but is not always enough. You should talk to a doctor and get some advice. Welbutrin works well for a lot of people I know, with the benefit of decreasing the appetite. My MIL is a psych nurse with a Master's in psychology and she was explaining to me the value of drugs with depression. Basically, your synapses can't reset themselves to work better on their own, create enough serontonin, and move that serontonin around to the right places. Psychotropic drugs can correct these things, leaving you free to improve the 'facts' of your life. Eventually, you won't need them at all. Sometimes, we need medicine to break these cycles. I wish you the very best. Remember, you deserve to feel good.