Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Carrots (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=58750)

AmberAA1 Fri, Aug-30-02 16:51

Carrots

I have heard conflicting stories about carrots. On one list it is an acceptable veggie. I eat carrots on every salad. Not a bag of them and they are shredded. Can someone please help me out. :confused:

vivi621 Fri, Aug-30-02 17:54

Hi Amber... I looked up the carbs for you 8.16 of carb in 100grams fo baby carrots, so I really do not know what that would be equaled to in shreading. but if you are having them in moderation go for it. I don't see anything wrong with it and I would do it.

you are suppossed to have some kind of fiber in your diet and yo are choosing carrots so go for it, if I am wrong I am sorry but I again would use them..

vivian

SooCee Fri, Aug-30-02 18:32

You are actually not really allowed to have carrots, but it doesn't sound like you are eating ALOT (it's shredded) so I would just eat some...

AmberAA1 Fri, Aug-30-02 18:59

Why

I really don't know why there is confliction. In a low carb book I was reading it said carrots were fine. I see them in my adkins new rev quick & easy cookbook. Is it a moderation thing? Do they have alot of natural sugar? I don't see them on the induction list I printed out from another website. Is it that I am looking in too many areas. I was wondering if I could use them as a side, but I guess not. :q: You guys helped, I guess if I use them I'll just use them slightly then. Thank you so much.

Lisa N Fri, Aug-30-02 21:07

Carrots are not listed in the allowed vegetables list for induction, but they should be okay in the ongoing weight loss phase. 1/2 cup of shredded carrot has about 4 grams of carb. I believe the reason that the are not allowed during induction is that they are higher on the glycemic index than other veggies. Unless you are using a large quantity of them, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure you count the carbs in your daily allowance. HTH

AmberAA1 Sat, Aug-31-02 10:33

Thanks

Ok, then thats what I'll do. Thanks all for your input. As always you have all been a great help. You never know how much you eat of something until that something matters.

raharris Mon, Sep-02-02 10:05

sad robert ;)

Funny story:

Last night I took my student leaders out for a nice dinner after four days of training. I had no alcohol (I don't drink in any event) and stayed away from the carb-rich appetizers. I ordered a steak, with extra vegetable in lieu of the potato course. So far so good, right? Then they brought out a wonderful looking steak accompanied by a double side of veg: a heaping pile of carrots!

On the one hand the cook should have understood the meaning of the "no potato" order and used the broccoli I saw on other plates. But of course on the other hand =I should have asked what the vegetable was before I ordered it=.

So I didn't get much veg last night, but I did learn an important lesson!

Cheers -- RA Harris

AmberAA1 Mon, Sep-02-02 11:37

Good try

Bravo for trying. You could have ordered a side, but you may have felt funny. I say bravo for the great effort. I'm afraid to go out. I feel safe as long as I make it. you know with all the hidden sugars and stuff. If I can't read the labels, than I don't feel right. :thup: So your doing better than I am.