Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Yoga & Sore Muscles (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=170323)

jennabrams Tue, Mar-02-04 10:47

Yoga & Sore Muscles

Hi everyone...
I just have a quick question. I work out 6 days a week pretty hard. I am a runner and run (either jogging or interval type sprints) about 60 minutes a day, I also use free weights every other day for my arms, and use weight machines for my legs. Yesterday I took my first Bikram Yoga class...during class I was shocked at how many different muscles I was using and I loved it. Today I am so sore...I'm having trouble moving almost...lol! I went to my gym, but could barely run 3 miles and I decided to skip the class I signed up for today and just try for tomorrow.

Anyways, here are my questions: What do you do for really sore muscles in your back, neck, and shoulders? Also, because it was bikram yoga I am concerned about getting dehydrated? Should I drink about 10-12 ounces of water? I already drink almost 90 ounces?
Thanks for the help...
Jenn

LisaS Tue, Mar-02-04 12:54

here's what I'd do if I suspected extra water loss:
weigh yourself right before & after the bikram - if you are considerably less after - drink more water to make up - 32 oz/lb lost or 1L/kg

cs_carver Tue, Mar-02-04 13:30

Yoga will help

Once you learn the yoga poses, they're one of the best things for sore muscles. The trick is to learn what your body's limits are and not push, regardless of what the class or instructor is suggesting. I almost crippled myself for a week with a Rodney Yee video and too many downward-facing dog poses for my level of readiness.

jennabrams Tue, Mar-02-04 14:33

Thanks...I hear you cs_carver...I worked muscles I didn't know existed...today walking became a challenge...lol! Do you think it's ok to try more yoga again tomorrow?
Thanks--
Jenn

Fun5oh Sat, Mar-20-04 18:10

So did you go back for another class or not? I tried the yoga maybe 2 years ago at the gym, I swear everything including my butt crack hurt! :)
I never went back! I was in ALOT better shape at that point than I am now, I want to try it again, but am scared! :)

javamel Thu, Mar-25-04 14:14

Ok...I LOOOOVE Bikram Yoga, but please drink at least an extra 24 oz of water above your usual 90 (Bikram recommends drinking like 80 oz a day and then another 80 oz for the yoga). You will sweat like you have never sweat before...think wringing out your shirt at the end! So, I drink water all day and take something called "Electrolyte Stamina" to replace the electrolytes (but you can use any electrolyte supplement you want). The first class you will just pray for it to be over, but it gets better every time you go, and the soreness will get less after about 4 or 5 classes....good luck, and enjoy it! It is truly wonderful. :yay: