Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I Don't Like the Scale or How I Learned to Love Ketostix (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=27168)

lagwagon Fri, Dec-07-01 08:56

I Don't Like the Scale or How I Learned to Love Ketostix

I'm one of those people that get very upset and set back when I step on the scale and see something much heavier than my inner weight (The weight my ego thinks I am). During my Atkins diet I'm using clothing and ketostix to give me indications of how I'm doing. In the beginning I went down a size immediately. For the last 1-2 weeks I've not shrunken any more or at least my belly hasn't. I'm giving up bacon and lunch meat today because of some negative comments I've read here but the big question is...if I'm in ketosis, even if it's only pink ketosis, and I'm drinking lots of water, am I on the right track?

Thanks
Lagwagon

DeeSinn Fri, Dec-07-01 09:16

Hi Lagwagon! I understand the frustration. Early on I made a committment to get on the scale once a week and that was it. I know some people get on every day but it is way too frustrating to me. I jump on every Monday morning as soon as I get out of the shower and then I put it away for another week. As for the ketostix - Doreen wrote a great article that will answer all your questions up under Low Carb Tip at the top of the screen. I go through spurts where I am use them, mainly for kicks, but I can usually tell when I am in ketosis by the way my mouth tastes at this point. I try and keep my ketones between small and moderate. Any more than that, although it may be exciting to see that dark purple, probably just means you are dehydrated and not really spewing out that much fat. As far as I am concerned, any amount of ketones that show up means you are in ketosis.

Try not to let the daily fluctuations bother you too much. This is a WOL and results may happen fast but if you stick with it the gradual loss and improvements will definitely be worth it. Take care!

Natrushka Fri, Dec-07-01 09:44

Re: I Don't Like the Scale or How I Learned to Love Ketostix

Quote:
Originally posted by lagwagon
if I'm in ketosis, even if it's only pink ketosis, and I'm drinking lots of water, am I on the right track?

Lag, ketosis is ketosis is ketosis; pink, purple, and often even 'negative'. You got over the scale 'thang'; don't let little plastic strips be the next 'thang'. They really aren't a great indicator of fat loss. How your clothing fits, however, is! So is a tape measure.

If you're drinking your water, getting 10 - 12 times your body weight a day in calories and getting some kind of exercise then yes, you're definitely on the right track :thup:

Nat

lagwagon Fri, Dec-07-01 09:47

Thanks Dee and Nat. Nat, I was afraid you'd say that about the stix and I'm sort of addicted to them. I won't buy anymore after I run out of these. I definitely have to up the exercise again as I've kind of lost steam there.