Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Snoring and the LC way (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=102779)

Just Dave Sat, May-03-03 06:48

Snoring and the LC way

Hi everyone,
Just found this forum, so I am new here, So Hi everybody. :D This is exacly what I was looking for, for those little ideas and support you need to get you through the ruff bumps. I and my wife have been LC since November, and 58lbs so far for me, still have quite a bit to go but have settled down to a lifetime of LC and good health so there is no rush as long as i keep going down.

Okay down to my question...

Can anyone point me to a site or research piece about Low Carbs and snoring. Me and my wife both stopped snoring a week after we started Atkins and haven't since. I noticed If we have carbs or cheat in any major way we become human buzz saws. I posted this in a newsgroup and someone mentioned it might be a weat allergy. Both of us? with the same allergy? They might be right though and I was hoping I might be able to enjoy the science behind it.

Not that I'm arguing, That is one really nice side effect, I sleep so much sounder and feel so much better and rested in the morning.

lbiessen Sat, May-03-03 07:14

I started atkins in Feb. and my snoring has gotten better according to my DH. My snorin was really loud, and he said now he hardly hears me.

I'm not sure if its Atkins, or weight loss. Studies have shown that a person being over weight does cause snoring.

tarashawn Sat, May-03-03 12:34

snoring

Hi there

My husband's snoring has been dramatically reduced since he started Atkin's as well. Thank God for that :)

I agree that it might be a combination of weight loss and LCing.

liz175 Sat, May-03-03 18:59

I don't know of any research, but I had the same experience. I no longer wake up and find my husband in the guest room. Within a few weeks of me starting Atkins, before I lost much weight, he says that I totally stopped snoring. It seems like it must be more than the weight loss, because it happened too fast to be caused by weight loss.

alwazbuzy Sat, May-03-03 19:19

It is true that being overweight can cause snoring.

However...for those of you who quit snoring after only a few weeks on Atkins...
may I suggest FOOD ALLERGIES?

I recently found out (through bloodwork) that I am allergic to milk, rice, corn, wheat, barley, oats, rye, and white potatoes. When I eliminated these things, my snoring went away.

Marieaa Sat, May-03-03 19:27

Boy I sleep alone and I wake my self u snoreing, May be I should get my allerge checked, Never thought of that befor. Learn something everyday. Thanks

MaryToU Sat, May-03-03 20:24

I find this whole idea very interesting. Even though I do not have a problem with snore, the DH does. Been low carbing since the end of February, and that is something I never paid attention to.

Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time I told him to wake up, and roll over so I could get to sleep! I will have to make not of his snoreing, and (crossing finger) hopefully lack of snoreing and make note if things have changed.

ItBeMeUSee Sun, May-04-03 06:10

I paid attention last night, and it is true! DH hardly snored at all during the night! And I thought I was sleeping better because of my new eating style :p

theresa113 Sun, May-04-03 07:00

There was a thread about a month ago that asked what was the most surprising side effect of low carbing? I answered that I no longer snored.

I noticed that I stopped snoring about a week or so onto the program. I would not doubt if it is due to food allergies since I am allergic to every weed that grows in central florida. I use to have heartburn from time to time as well which could also be an indication of a food intollerence.

I was really hoping that one of our seasoned vets would have some science on this. :)

liz175 Sun, May-04-03 07:56

The food allergy theory makes sense. While I know that weight can be associated with snoring, I stopped snoring well before I had lost a significant amount of weight. I have a lot of allergies, so I may also have a food allergy that I am unaware of. It also makes sense that low carbing would work for those of us who have allergies or sensitivities to wheat or other highcarb foods.

jers52 Sun, May-04-03 10:16

likewise

same report - less snoring! Another perk to lowcarbing!
Love this WOL!

Jan