Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Low carbing ,no weight loss needed ,help for MIL (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=142443)

cincin11 Sun, Oct-12-03 08:35

Do you start at pre maintenance ,when no weight loss is needed?

My mother in law is interested in low carbing when she quits smoking. Last time she quit smoking she gained all kinds of weight and started smoking again ,mainly to lose the weight. She is more concerned with how she looks ,than how she feels.

I gave my book to my cousin ,so I dont know if there is a chapter on this or not. Since she is at the weight she wants to be ,would she go right to pre maintenance or what? She does have a problem with eating sugar. When there is ice cream in the house ,from the grandchildren being there, she can eat a whole carton. When she would have her peppermint schnapps ,she couldnt stop from drinking the whole thing. I know she is addicted to sugar and right now the cigarettes are the only thing controlling her appetite. A lot of times she sends the ice cream home with us because she knows she will eat it all.
Maybe she needs induction to get rid of the sugar cravings , then go to pre maintenance.

I would appreciate any help . We would like to see her kick the cigarette habit.

shortstuff Sun, Oct-12-03 11:23

You said that part of her problem is sugar - she's addicted to it. You probably don't know this, but there is sugar in tobacco. I didn't know it until I went to the Lung Association for smoking cessation classes. There is also rat poison in cigarettes. I smoked for 31 years then quit cold turkey with the first smoking cessation class at the Lung Association. Most folks say they smoke to control their weight, but look at the smokers you know - how many of them are overweight and how many of them have additional health problems smoking-related?

The best way to beat the sugar monkey is to just plain get everything out of the house that isn't going to be part of the low carb induction. She may have a headache for a day or two, but it should be gone within 72 hours of starting LC eating.

Same with the smoking - the addicting chemicals will be gone within 72 hours and that can be helped along with lots and lots ofwater. All that's left after the 72 hours is the habit - not the addiction.

Have I gone back to smoking? Absolutely not and I won't. I've been off cigarettes for almost 2 years now and I can't stand the smell of them any more.

Will I go back to my carb and sugar addictions - no. I feel sooooo much better and have a lot more energy than I ever dreamed possible.

I'm a happy LCer and non-smoker.

shortstuff

Kristine Sun, Oct-12-03 11:34

If it was me, I'd break the sugar addiction *first*, and wait at least a few months to get into the habit of low-carbing. :thup: Tackling two addictions at the same time would probably drive her batty. :daze:

Wish her luck and health from us! :sunny:

LadyBelle Sun, Oct-12-03 13:26

In Atkins for life he sugegsts cutting back to 60g of carbs a day at first when you don't have much weight to lose. For the sever addiction, she may have to go through induction just to break the cravings.

I agree that she should start Lc and get over sugar cravings, then tackle ciggs. Having both at once would be a nightmare and she may give in totaly and start smoking as well as go on a binge.

Giving up coffee and sugar at the same time was heck enough. I remember chewing on baby carrotts all the time when I quit smoking to keeo my hands and mouth busy. I also had to stop driving, using the computer and a few other things I enjoyed smoking with for a little while.

cincin11 Tue, Oct-14-03 05:53

Thank you ,guys. You were a big help. But should she go to pre maintenance after induction or go thru each step, even though she is already skinny ? Is there something in the book that talks about this, maybe I will get another book.

cincin11 Mon, Jan-05-04 15:01

My mil is ready to stop smoking and bought some low carb cookbooks and dandr. She also watched the low carb show on foodtv. I emailed www.atkins.com and this is the reply they gave me.

Thank you for your inquiry.
Underweight or normal weight people should not use the Induction Phase of Atkins, but rather a modified version, which we have adapted. Please read the chapter on On-Going Weight Loss (OWL), or Lifetime Maintenance in Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution .

We trust you will find this information helpful. If you have additional questions regarding the Atkins Nutritional Approach, please feel free to e-mail us again, or contact our Atkins Information Agents by phone at 1-800-6-ATKINS from 9am to 5pm EST. If you would like to place an order, our Ordering Department is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and on line for your convenience. If you are calling from outside the U.S. and Canada, please reach us at 1-800-757-5324.

Please click on the link/s below to view more information on the following topic/s:
On-going Weight Loss http://atkinscenter.com/howto/phase2.html
Lifetime Maintenance http://atkins.com/howto/phase4.html
Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution http://atkinscenter.com/dev/shop/pr...02_Edition.html

Mandatory Medical Disclaimer
The instructions and advice presented in this email are in no way intended as medical advice or as a substitute for medical counseling. The information should be used in conjunction with the guidance and care of your physician. Consult your physician before beginning this program as you would any weight-loss or weight-maintenance program. Your physician should be aware of all medical conditions that you may have, as well as any medication and supplements you are taking. Those of you on diuretics or diabetes medication should proceed only under a doctor's supervision. As with any plan, the weight-loss phases of this nutritional plan should not be used by patients on dialysis or by pregnant or nursing women.

We trust you will find this information helpful. If you have additional questions regarding the Atkins Nutritional Approach, please feel free to e-mail us again, or contact our Atkins Information Agents by phone at 1-800-6-ATKINS from 9am to 5pm EST. If you would like to place an order, our Ordering Department is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and on line for your convenience. If you are calling from outside the U.S. and Canada, please reach us at 1-800-757-5324.

Sincerely,
Pamela R.
Atkins Information Agent
1-800-6-Atkins