Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Do you limit your saturated fat intake? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=167104)

MyJourney Sun, Feb-15-04 13:31

Do you limit your saturated fat intake?

I was wondering how many of you limit or get nervous with your saturated fat intake?

I have yet to see any real study that shows saturated fat with a low carb diet to be dangerous, but yet everywhere I look I see people saying evil saturated fat. Even on this forum I have seen a few times people say how bad for you saturated fat is and so I was curious... do you limit the amount of saturated fat you eat?

I personally eat all fats (except for trans fats) and it doesnt bother me at all when my saturated fat intake is higher sometimes. But I dont view saturated fats as bad. I just try and keep 70% of my calories from fat and thats it.

red1cutie Sun, Feb-15-04 13:58

Before I did not care and did not track it but I did eat a combination of different fats . Now I still don't care because it's not like I'm eating high carb combined with high saturated fat. I do keep track of it now though.

I stay away trans fats though.

You know what bugs me Atkins products that have stuff that Dr. Atkins said we should stay away from. I'm sure he would be mad about that.

red

bluesmoke Sun, Feb-15-04 17:10

Into my 21st month, I now crave fats, including animal fats, in place of carbs. Nyah Levi

RoseTattoo Sun, Feb-15-04 17:19

Yes, I watch my sat fat intake. I'm just not prepared to ignore all of those years of medical findings (some of which I actually helped research, lol). But it's not that hard for me to do since I'm on maintenance and I've never really liked red meat anyway. I don't go real low on sat fats--maybe 18-20% of calories.

KristyC Sun, Feb-15-04 19:59

I actually try to pay more attention to it now. I am not obsessive with it, though.

pd Rydia Sun, Feb-15-04 20:01

I don't pay any attention to saturated fats at the moment. I'm still losing weight, so I can't imagine there being any particular imbalance.

black57 Sun, Feb-15-04 22:49

If I were to have an honest conversation with myself, in a sense that there were no documentation on the dangers of fats, my body would tell me to loadem up. I love the dark meat of chicken and fatty cuts of meats esp. steaks. Nothing compares to the flavor and creaminess of butter. I have shared my bloodwork with you guys. You know how good my cholesterol and triglycerides are! To admit to loving fats, out loud, is like saying I sleep with 5 men daily. But in all honesty, I love fats. My mom used to fuss at me because of the butter and sour cream that I would add to foods. She should have fussed at me for eating the damn baked potato instead. :agree:

We crave foods for various reasons. I craved fats because I was not eating enough of it. I craved carbs because I was eating too many.

:roll: Black Out

IdahoSpud Mon, Feb-16-04 01:26

I *don't* worry about eating too much saturated fat, and here's why:

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/skinny.html

AntiM Mon, Feb-16-04 02:45

Creeeeeeam ...

I had an appointment with an alternate health care provider who after reviewing my excellent bloodwork asked me how I keep my lipid levels so low. I answered: "Lots and lots of saturated fats".

If you listen hard enough, I think you can still hear her jaw hitting the floor. :lol:

But it is true for me, when I added ~1/4 - 1/2 cup of heavy cream into my daily diet, my weight loss sped up and my blood fats decreased. This probably would have been true if I'd increased the ratio with the poly and mono fats, too, but they're not near as tasty. :lol:

MyJourney Mon, Feb-16-04 07:08

1/4 to a 1/2 a cup of heavy cream daily? wow, if you dont mind my asking, what is your ratio?

Once in a while I have half a cup of cream and that always throws my ratio out of whack.

Kristine Mon, Feb-16-04 10:39

I don't limit my saturated fat per se, but by default, I tend to not get enough of the other fats - wild salmon and omega 3 eggs are expensive, grinding flax seeds is a pain in the butt, olive oil doesn't taste as good as butter, avocadoes don't keep well... y'know. I have to make a point to consume the others.

jesdorka Mon, Feb-16-04 10:53

the only fat i stay away from is trans fat. i consider all other fat good as long as i keep my carbs low. my ratios run approx 70% fat, protein 25% & carbs 5%.
i beleive it is consuming high carbs and high fat that gives you problems

jes

Morgan1974 Mon, Feb-16-04 11:33

down with transfats!

I only stay away from trans fats (completely). I don't pay attention to any other fats. I use olive oil and butter. However, I eat JUST until I'm satisfied; never stuffed. Overeating is the biggest problem we have...JMO.

Moderation, moderation, moderation. :)

Hilary M Mon, Feb-16-04 12:30

If I stopped to think about it, I would use olive oil to "sautee" some onions instead of butter, for the saturated/unsaturated reason, but I don't care enough about it to make it a point. Make sense?

And I get a total kick out of telling people I'm on a high-fat diet. They look at me like I'm insane, and I grin like a maniac. And I keep losing weight! Ha!

cbcb Mon, Feb-16-04 13:09

I can TELL when something has saturated fat - it makes me feel better.