Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Do you count the carbs in Splenda? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=268718)

Cappy Mon, Oct-03-05 20:27

Do you count the carbs in Splenda?

I was just wondering about this -- I'm not 'new' to Atkins but have re-started induction as of today. I use the individual packets of splenda to sweeten my herbal teas (my cups are like twice the size of a normal mug too) so I use two packets of splenda per cup, probably drink 5 cups a day of tea so I am consuming about 8-10 packets of splenda a day.....and each one says it has 1 carb in it, so that would be half my days carb allowance right there...is this right??? And I know you all will tell me to just drink WATER instead of the tea, but I just can't drink that much plain water, it makes me gag...seriously.

hramsey76 Mon, Oct-03-05 21:54

Well, I don't know if its right but I do count one carb per packet to be on the safe side. I'd like to see others' responses!!

A cup of tea sounds really good right now.....thanks for the idea!

Sue L Mon, Oct-03-05 23:51

I don't generally count my carbs as a rule, but I am aware of how many are in Splenda so I do try to avoid it and use in very low amounts. When I am on a carb counting quest (as I am now on the meat/egg fast), I try to avoid it altogether.

DogsLyfe Tue, Oct-04-05 06:59

Cappy, I do count the carbs in the packets of splenda, and it will add up on you in a hurry. You could try Davinci or Atkins Sugar Free Syrups. They have the liquid splenda in them, which has no carbs because of lack of those powdery fillers. I like the herbal teas too, and have found a splenda-sweetened Vanilla syrup to be a nice complement to all of them, and for no carbs. ;)

Edit to add: I too count the packets at 1 per, as its easier to keep track of and keeps me honest.

ToastyBoy Tue, Oct-04-05 07:23

Is liquid Splenda ever going to be available in the U.S.? Just wondering if it's in the process of being approved or if it was shot down and never going to happen.

hramsey76 Tue, Oct-04-05 07:54

Thats a good question ToastyBoy, I'm gonna have to find some of those syrups I guess. Might make my black coffee taste a lot better.

DogsLyfe Tue, Oct-04-05 08:23

IIRC several years ago they were working on getting it approved, but I don't know whatever happened to it. I wish they would though... it would make life easier.

Sue L Tue, Oct-04-05 11:27

Da Vinci sells a sugar free syrup online at the Da Vinci site.

ssofian Tue, Oct-04-05 12:01

I count the carbs in splenda, but I've found that I use less and less of it, the longer I'm eating LC. I also try to use the sf syrups if at all possible.

Beeblebrox Tue, Oct-04-05 12:43

I count one carb per packet, and, yep, it sure does add up.

iwill Tue, Oct-04-05 12:50

I count everything!

JaneDough Tue, Oct-04-05 14:26

If I'm not mistaken, we're supposed to count one carb per packet and not exceed three packets per day during Induction.

Cappy Tue, Oct-04-05 19:44

Well thanks for the responses everyone, I guess I should have known it was too good to be true. I was sort of using the teas as a deterrant from eating...having something warm to drink sort of tricks my brain into thinking I'm full. I will definitely see if I can find some of the syrups you've mentioned though. Do you know if they are available at WalMart? Oh and also, I guess the same would hold true for those new flavored waters....not fizzy waters, just plain flavored waters ( I think they're made by Nestle....)???

Annabel33 Wed, Oct-05-05 05:59

Why not give up the Splenda?
I know it sounds like a smart alec response, but if you cut down and then cut it out, within a couple of weeks, you'll be drinking unsweetened tea. A month after that, you'll not even be able to tolerate the thought of having sweet tea ...
It's just a habit that you're used to.
Then you can 'spend' that carb allowance on some fantastic veggies.

My hubby has recently given up (real) sugar in his coffee. He says the thought of having sweet coffee now makes him nauseous! :agree:

Cappy Wed, Oct-05-05 06:08

Oh goodness, I know you are so right and I should quit using any of those artificial sweetners. That would be an incredibly hard thing for me to do....harder than quitting smoking I'd bet. I know it's a habit I've gotten myself into, and I have a HUGE weakness for anything sweet....so the thought of drinking PLAIN tea or coffee doesn't sound very appealing at all. I do plan to cut it back to 3 packets a day as suggested by someone else and perhaps I can wean myself off of it altogether....thanks for the reply.