Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   South Beach Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Splenda for baking (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=379695)

mom_2_1 Tue, Aug-05-08 17:21

Splenda for baking

I am planning on getting a big bag of Splenda to replace my white sugar with when I bake. Hubby loves my baked goods, and I would like to try to make them a little healthier.

Is it hard to bake with Splenda? Is 1 cup of white sugar equal to 1 cup of Splenda?

I figured if I can do chocolate chip cookies and my banana bread with Splenda that would be amazing. Funny.. hubby is starting to get conscience about what he eats now!! ;)

lowcarbUgh Tue, Aug-05-08 17:50

Yes, you can use Splenda exactly as you would sugar. :)

LessLiz Tue, Aug-05-08 21:59

Be aware that Splenda for Baking is half Splenda and half sugar. Splenda granular is not the same thing.

~Renee~ Wed, Aug-06-08 05:35

I'm not a baker, except for the brownies I do during the school year, but my mom has had success w/ it for things like muffins and pies. I think I remember her saying that they (muffins) don't rise as well as they do with regular sugar, something to do with sugar helping to bulk things up. But as far as taste goes, it's good.

Anyone know of a sub. for brown sugar?

skippie Wed, Aug-06-08 06:14

Check the recipe section, cooking questions here on the fourm.
But I know you can add a little molasses to splenda to get the brown sugar taste. But I don't remember the exact amount. I'm thinking 1T per 1c splenda.

Judynyc Wed, Aug-06-08 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Be aware that Splenda for Baking is half Splenda and half sugar. Splenda granular is not the same thing.

Well....now thats something that I didn't know!!
But then again, I don't bake! ;)

Thanks Liz! :thup:

lyzjnqtpy Thu, Aug-07-08 22:26

I Do Bake. I Think That Was Part Of The Reason I Put Weight On. Lol. Splenda Is Cup For Cup But I Do Believe You Have To Add 1/2 Of Tsp Of Baking Powder Or Baking Soda Per Cup. It Tells You On The Back Of The Bag Or You Can Check Out The Website For Tips.

cnmLisa Fri, Aug-08-08 08:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz

Is this the same as the pourable Splenda or something different.

If it's something different, I can see why they manufactured it.

When baking, with pourable, there are some noticable differences in the end product. Unfortunately those differences rely on sugar for that mouth feel and texture and browning ability. A half and half ratio of Splenda and sugar may improve those qualities missing when just using plain pourable Splenda. I guess that would be a start for most Americans--cutting half the sugar down. But for us LCrs not even acceptable.

Just my thoughts.

Judynyc Fri, Aug-08-08 08:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
Is this the same as the pourable Splenda or something different.

If it's something different, I can see why they manufactured it.

When baking, with pourable, there are some noticable differences in the end product. Unfortunately those differences rely on sugar for that mouth feel and texture and browning ability. A half and half ratio of Splenda and sugar may improve those qualities missing when just using plain pourable Splenda. I guess that would be a start for most Americans--cutting half the sugar down. But for us LCrs not even acceptable.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for sharing this Lisa!! :thup:
I am in total agreement with you. :agree:

Its great to see you posting again!! :D

LessLiz Fri, Aug-08-08 10:37

Yes, it is something different. If you check next time you are in the grocery store you'll see Splenda Baking Blend. You use 1/2 c of this for each cup of sugar in a recipe. Read the label and you find it's half sugar and half splenda.