Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   NO ENERGY (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=18570)

taz0126 Sat, Sep-01-01 23:20

NO ENERGY

Hi all,
SInce I started eating no carbs....I have barely any energy to complete my workouts.....I work out VERY intensly, and have been for a long time. recently I cant seem to keep my energy level up for more than 45 minutes.....this never used to be a problem before the Atkins diet...any ideas ?

Natrushka Sun, Sep-02-01 08:26

Energy

Ok, first, start eating veggies. 20g minimum. Atkins is LOW CARB not NO CARB. Green leafy and healthy. You're even permitted some fruit (berries, peaches, some mellons).

You should be taking a multi-vitamin every day. A Calcium/Magensium supplement will help with muscle fatique. Try mixing NoSalt with your table salt 50/50 to up your potassium. And remember your water.

You should also go back and re-read your book.

Best of luck,
Nat

fern2340 Sun, Sep-02-01 18:51

Re: NO ENERGY

Quote:
Originally posted by taz0126
Hi all,
SInce I started eating no carbs....I have barely any energy to complete my workouts.....I work out VERY intensly, and have been for a long time. recently I cant seem to keep my energy level up for more than 45 minutes.....this never used to be a problem before the Atkins diet...any ideas ?

Hi taz!
What have you been eating? How about giving us an idea of what a typical day of eating for you is? A multi-vitamin is a great idea..... Also, how long are you working out and what type of exercising are you doing that you want to be able to workout for longer than 45 minutes? Let us know!

Linda

taz0126 Sun, Sep-02-01 20:10

Thanks FERN2340 and Natrushka

My regular day of eating looks something like this.
BRENKFAST 3 EGG OMLET WITH A LOT OF BACON OR SAUSAGE
LUNCH CHEESBURGERs WITH OUT THE BREAD, OR RIBS
DINNER STEAK TIPS, HOT DOGS, CHICKEN OR PORK CHOPS

sometimes I have some veggies in my chinese food which I have about 5 times per week...no carbs though.....LOL

My workout consist of usually 2 hours or more of martial arts.

Natrushka Sun, Sep-02-01 20:20

Taz, you need more variety. Vegetables. Take a look at what others are eating under "journals/bootcamp" to get a better idea of what you can throw together. A big salad with your steak or chicken is wonderful, and throw in lots of dressing..... made with olive oil or canola oil. For 2 hours of martial arts you need way more calories than you're consuming...

FYI, there are carbs in some of the things you listed. Hot dogs, cheese, bacon, saussages.

Another possible problem is the bacon and saussage. They are loaded with nitrates and sodium, a known staller for some. Try cutting back and increasing those vegetables.

Best of luck,
Nat

fern2340 Sun, Sep-02-01 20:27

Taz-
More calories, more calories, more calories!!!! 2 hrs of martial arts sounds like a killer workout. How about trying to eat 5-6 mini meals a day instead of just 3 meals? This could boost your calories some. Also, I agree with Nat (again), veggies!
You mention chinese food.....what kind of chinese food are you eating?