Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Gone Nuts (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=176022)

BLBM Wed, Mar-31-04 09:08

Gone Nuts

TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY ADDICTED TO NUTS!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen this problem from anyone else on here but I eat so many nuts in a day because that is the only really snacky thing we can eat. I know if i don't buy nuts i will probably cheat on something else or be tottaly ravinous all night but i can't just eat a few. I eat the whole bag or can and I can't stop. Not sure how to kick this or what other snacky thing I can eat instead. Any Ideas before i start gaining weight?????????? Please help

scrapgirl Wed, Mar-31-04 09:12

I am with you. I found (last week) these soy nuts at Harris Teeter with 5carb/4fiber/1netcarb per ounce and they are my new best friend. And to top it off, stupid me added Endulge bars at the same time and now that 1 gained 2lbs back, I am not sure what the problem is. Do the nuts interfere with your losses???

el123 Wed, Mar-31-04 09:13

STOP BUYING THEM! i find that when i REALLY crave something, i have to take a step back from it- throw it away and don't buy it. i know you think you'll cheat with something else, but if that's so, have some salad. or a little meat with cheese. and you are past your goal, are you still doing induction/OWL? there are lots more choices for snacks in pre-maintenance/maintenance... give it a try :)

DianaO Wed, Mar-31-04 09:16

When I buy a jar, I use zip lock bags and divide out a serving. Works that way

AFwife Wed, Mar-31-04 09:19

I moved into OWL a month after being on Induction, I totally went nuts with the nuts. :lol:

I just could not for the life of me get enough of pecans and macadamia nuts.

It stalled me big time.....so I finished my bags (only had one of each) and now I buy them by the handfuls so I don't have anymore to tempt me later. I have learned self control with them now though.

I've been back on Induction since but occasionaly lean towards OWL to get a change.

BLBM Wed, Mar-31-04 09:21

No I only did induction for the 2 weeks i had to on day 14 couldn't wait to add some berries or cottage cheese and of course nuts. I don't know where i am with this right now I think i want to lose a few more pounds but i never did eveything right in the way of figuring out what my CCLL or what my ACE will be so i need to do something about that if i am going to continue to be successfull at this

MyJourney Wed, Mar-31-04 09:35

buy raw nuts instead of salted. Count out how many nuts you are going to have and put the rest away.

I take 22 almonds and then I put them out of sight. If I had a bag there I would just keep reaching my hand in. Also I think there is something with salted nuts that make them more snaky and you want to eat more. I think its weird cravings or something. Raw nuts dont have the same effect.

If you still cant calm down with them, cut them out for a couple of weeks or months and then try to reintroduce them later. Also avoid peanuts and cashews, since they are legumes and more crby. Try sticking to things like almonds, macadamias and pecans. Pumpkin seeds and sunflowers are good too, but make sure to get them unsalted raw.

orchidday Wed, Mar-31-04 09:37

Nuts are such a great food packed with nutrition and good fats. They also have a lot of micronutrients that are very healthy. BUT DANG - so few of us can only eat a few....... I found that when I quit buying the prepackaged and preshelled nuts (salted as well), and starting buying them in bulk, I could control them much better. So, I never buy them in packages but make myself sit and shell them! It makes it much more difficult than running into the kitchen and grabbing a handful of the salted ones in the can. It is cheaper too! Nuts are very calorie dense and it is way too easy to have too many. I hate to see anyone cut them outh completely because they are very good for us.

Orchid

myagenda Wed, Mar-31-04 16:17

I have the same problem with nuts. I can stop eating them. Orchidday is right I have a big bowl full of nuts that need to be shelled and I don't really bother with them. If I buy the preshelled kind in any form I can't stop eating them.

Thumbelina Wed, Mar-31-04 17:50

Nuts are truly a miracle food. So good for you, you shouldn't completely omit them from your diet just because it's hard for you to resist overeating them. I love all nuts, especially smoked almonds. I could certainly eat an entire can if I let my id take over. But since they are so calorie dense, overeating them can stall you, or worse, cause a weight gain. Better to portion them out in single serving sizes. I put mine in snack bags and one bag a day is my treat. It takes some willpower but it can be done!

tabookitty Wed, Mar-31-04 17:56

I measure my sunflower seeds out. One half of a one third cup. Then I serve them in a dessert cup. I could eat them all day otherwise. One serving every other day at the most.

snburch Wed, Mar-31-04 18:00

I use the snack size baggies and I measure out a serving size for each bag. I don't have a problem, but my husband does. He used to sit down with the whole can, but now he just grabs a bag and leaves it at that. We've really saved on the nuts this way.
I like them already measured out, that way I can grab a bag for the road.

ebsf1 Wed, Mar-31-04 18:07

What I have had to do is decide that they are not allowed on Atkins. It's amazing...I can resist everything else but peanuts are my Kryptonite!

Justjen72 Wed, Mar-31-04 18:27

I am just as bad. I cannot buy them anymore, because I eat the whole bag within days. They stalled me because I just couldn't stop snacking.

3 meals a day is all I can handle. If I snack in between, you can forget it for me. :(

Nancy LC Wed, Mar-31-04 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
buy raw nuts instead of salted. Count out how many nuts you are going to have and put the rest away.

that's exactly what I do. Roasted, salted, almonds or most nuts, I can't stop eating them. But I can with raw ones. :p