Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   insulin resistance (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=72697)

chemong932 Tue, Nov-26-02 10:26

insulin resistance

Hi All:

I was diagnosed with insulin resistance in Sept. The doctor ordered a fasting two hour glucose and insulin test. The glucose came back fine, but the insulin was severely out of whack.

I was already on a low carb diet when the test was done. The doctor told me after the results were back to go on a low carb diet. As I was already on this diet, I am assuming that it will not help the problem for me.

What else can be done about insulin resistance. I have stayed on the diet, but still no weight loss to speak of, probably because of the insulin resistance.

Has anyone else successfully treated this?

Melanie

jaykay Tue, Nov-26-02 10:57

Hi, my understanding of this is that you gradually become more insulin sensitive again, but its a slow process and maybe not back to the levels you would have been at as a child.
If you then eat high carb, you would go back to being insulin resistant again, its to do with the insulin receptors on our cells.
Lots of us are using LC because we're insulin resistant and lots of us have lost weight - so it can happen - don't despair.
You don't say what you're eating or how long you've been doing LC for. I'm sure if you posted your food for a few days someone who knows more about it than me could look at it and see if they can suggest anything to get you moving.
The other thing is to look in the tips and stalls thread and see if there's anything there that helps.

For what its worth, since we're all different, it was cutting the dairy and the wine, exercising and drinking water that seemed to get my weight shifting.

Take care and I'm sure you'll find your answers here somewhere, Jay

Kristine Tue, Nov-26-02 16:32

Hi Melanie :wave:

I'll start off by mentioning that one of the best ways to increase insulin sensitivity is to exercise. :thup: Ya gotta let those muscles get used to moving glucose back and forth again. :thup:

I'm not sure whether or not she considered herself "insulin resistant", but Nat is a stellar example of someone who has basically healed her metabolism. She's also lost quite a bit of weight, going from a body fat in the 50 %s down to the normal range. She's been LCing for over a year and working out like Wonder Woman. ;) You've been at it for quite a while, too; but like Jaykay mentioned, it can be a long, slow process. I wouldn't give up yet, especially since you've got a supportive doctor. :thup:

Have you asked your doc about glucophage? It can be used to treat insulin resistant people who aren't losing weight.

Cheers