Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   how long in Induction? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175133)

Lulita Fri, Mar-26-04 16:09

how long in Induction?

I was wondering how long I should stay in Induction. I have been on it for 4.5 weeks and I lost only 6.4
What do you guys think? How long did you stay on it?
Thanks,
Lulita
:rolleyes: :agree: :angel:

djcarbno Fri, Mar-26-04 16:17

I have been on induction levels since Jan 4, 2004 - I am planning on staying there until I reach 180 and then will move up the carb ladder.

NickFender Fri, Mar-26-04 16:53

When I started Atkins I stayed on induction-level carbs for about 12 weeks. If you have a lot to lose and are comfortable in Induction, you can safely stay on Induction for many months. Just make sure you aren't getting bored, which might tempt you to cheat.

Elsah Fri, Mar-26-04 16:56

I moved on to owl after two weeks. I have never looked back with regret. It was *I* needed to make this a lifestyle rather than just a crash diet. But I think it's different for everyone. Goodluck with whatever you choose! :)

Jenn

cls923 Fri, Mar-26-04 18:00

I have been on induction for 2 month, since I started LCing...Have had no problems (except maybe constipation the first 2 weeks), but this was resolved after week 2...
I feel great, and have lost 27 pounds in 2 months!

RCFletcher Fri, Mar-26-04 19:14

My opinion is that people should stay on induction for 2 weeks only and then move into OWL, moving up the carb ladder until they discover their CCLL (critical carb level for losing). I believe that this will then lead to a more successful maintainance.

Your body can get used to 20g day and then it's impossible to increase it without gaining weight. Better for it to get used to 30 or 35 and still lose weight more slowly and then if you stall you can always retreat back to induction.

This is a way of eating for life - what's the hurry it took us all years to put the weight on in the first place.

KristyC Fri, Mar-26-04 19:36

I have been on it for nearly 9 months since I had over a hundred pounds to lose. I'll be moving to OWL soon. I personally don't think staying on Induction for long periods of time will hinder your success on maintenance.

freckles Fri, Mar-26-04 19:45

RCFletcher...I really admire your good attitude about this woe...now if I can remember it when the scales won't move. :lol:

I stayed on induction level carbs for 6 months. I did a strict 2 week induction then added a few foods here and there, but stayed at about 20 carbs. In February I started going up to 25 carbs, but then decided to go back and do another strict, clean induction and follow the carb ladder for OWL. Wanted to make sure I wasn't eating something that could be causing me problems. I think the amount of time spent on induction is a personal choice...but I do agree with RCFletcher on the absolute importance of OWL. Slowly adding carbs back, watching for any foods that may cause problems, helps your body to adjust and helps heal your metabolism. But I don't think I could have started OWL after just 2 weeks...I had too much to lose and needed more reinforcement that this woe works so that I wouldn't get discouraged. I lost 50 lbs. before moving to owl...I wanted to wait until I got to 150 lbs...but my loss slowed down so much and I decided it might do me more good to move on. Doing so has not sped up my weight loss, but I have continued to loose inches.

armywife3 Fri, Mar-26-04 22:52

I am still on induction and it's been almost a year. Even in the atkins book he says it is ok to stay on induction if you choose to do so. Some people only have 30 lbs to lose. I have lost 100 lbs and I still need to lose another 70 so for obvious reasons I needed to stay on induction. I am more curious though why only 6 pounds is gone in 4 weeks. I would think you might lose more than that if you were on pure induction. Maybe you could post what you're eating?

Lulita Sat, Mar-27-04 09:43

I am eating eggs, meat, cheese, 3 cups of veggies or 2 if it is not salad, 1 Atk. bar a day.
Could it be the cheese or the bars?
I don't know anymore...I am getting really discouraged. I did not excercise until this week because I felt soooo tired.
Please, any other ideas?

LadyBelle Sat, Mar-27-04 11:09

I'd say definetly get rid of the bars. They stall alot of people.

Kathy54 Sat, Mar-27-04 11:23

Hi there,
Yep ditch those bars!!
Also what kind of mats are you eating??
Deli meats, weiners, ect pack a lot of salt they can work againist most people, if they are eating them daily.
What about your water intake??
Diet pop? Sugar free treats?

Give us some more details, cause I tend to agree you should of had better results.

Kathy

KristyC Sat, Mar-27-04 11:45

Yes, bars slow or stall my weight loss. Shakes don't do that for me, but the meal replacement bars do.

Lulita Sun, Mar-28-04 13:20

I am eating mostly steak but also snack on salami or peperoni sticks, I haven't had diet pop at all yet. On Thursday I found this 0 carb gummy bears, are they bad?
I started excercising on Thursday and I went Yesterday too, I hope this makes a difference. I could face the gym the first 3 weeks on program, tooooo tired.

apriltripp Sun, Mar-28-04 15:57

I too have been in Induction for almost a year - I had 150 lbs to lose so you can see why. I feel great and I love not having the carb cravings... and yes, the bars throw me right into a stall!