Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Back from my mini vacation (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=3306)

honestd Sun, Apr-01-01 18:02

I am back from my mini Woman's Retreat. I did so good!!! I didn't eat anything that wasn't on my diet, and it wasn't even a struggle. I just didn't want it. It was great!!! I brought my own snacks up with me just in case (during our late night game session) I wanted to snack while they were eating popcorn. I brought Pork rines, jerky, and nuts. I even got up around 6:30 am and went for a walk on the beautiful island beach. Pictures will be on my web site soon for those of you that are intrested... Everyone asked how much weight I lost ALREADY!!! Even people that didn't know I was on a diet. Amaxing... I didn't think you could tell. How great is that...
Thanks for letting me share my success with this group. Yall are definatly one of my major sorces of motivation!!!

doreen T Sun, Apr-01-01 18:17

hi Deb

Hon, YOU are a source of inspiration and motiviation to all of us. Congrats to you, and thanks!

Doreen

Tinakaye Sun, Apr-01-01 18:51

Awww that's great! You set a great example for all of them, and most of all for yourself :) Great job!

Liz Sun, Apr-01-01 22:06

Where'd you go on your Women's Retreat?

I have a friend who taught in Okinawa for two years. It was a magical time for her. BTW, as far as I can tell from the Atkins books and his carb counter, ordinary popcorn (not the microwave stuff) is really quite low in carbs (1 cup 4.6) and butter would be free. I've been thinking of making some as I do have a love of salty snacks. And, I missing the texture of things other than cheese, meat or veggies.

honestd Mon, Apr-02-01 02:33

My woman's retreat was at a military beach resort in Okinawa, called Okuma. It is just beautiful. Great place to go camping on the beach, or stay in a cabin (aircondioned) or stay in the hotel there. There is just so much to do there; water sports, hiking, walking, golfing, fishing, and what ever else they have...
I went with my church, had a blast and got refreshed... Oh how nice, even if it was just for one night.... Ahhhhh.

Karen Mon, Apr-02-01 12:07

Re: Where'd you go on your Women's Retreat?

Congratulations on resisting temptation, honestd!

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
BTW, as far as I can tell from the Atkins books and his carb counter, ordinary popcorn (not the microwave stuff) is really quite low in carbs (1 cup 4.6) and butter would be free. I've been thinking of making some as I do have a love of salty snacks. And, I missing the texture of things other than cheese, meat or veggies.

Liz, try pork rinds instead for something crunchy. Even a small amount of popcorn might set off carb cravings. Try eating a combination of pork rinds and celery sticks with a bit of cheese.

Karen

r.mines Mon, Apr-02-01 21:38

popcorn

Hmmm. I'm not trying to tell you what to do, Liz, but have you ever tried eating ONE cup of popcorn? I don't think I could do it!

I know what you mean about the crunch. I found this recipie on another site (apparently it belongs to someone called Jeb, who is said to have stolen it from...? Anyway, it goes like this:

Cheesy "Bones"

3 oz. cream cheese
3 oz. grated cheddar
1 egg
3 heaping tbsp plain soy protein isolate
salt to taste
paprika/cayenne/herbs to taste

Mix everything together with your hands. Knead until it's like play-doh. Form it into thin 'snakes' about 2 inches long. Lay out on greased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 mins or till browned. Cool on wire racks.

These are AWESOME if eaten warm from the oven! Salty, crunchy, and way better than pretzels! And maybe about 2 carbs for the whole recipie.

Rachel

honestd Mon, Apr-02-01 21:51

Pork rines!!!

Since I have been on this low carb diet, I have found so many recipies with pork rines...
I will have to post them if you want them all but they look delisious... I want to make them first before I post them....
One I am intrested it is crushing it to use it as bread crumbs in all kinds of things... I even saw a recipe that used crushed porkrines as the flour thing for this kinda hard toast to use for spreads and dips... It looked great...
Pork rines are the way to go.. Over here in Okinawa, they even have hot and spicy... Yum... Let me know if you guys hear anymore recipies about them too and I will post them as soon as I make them for myself...

Popcorn is good but not worth it... Also did you know that they have pork rines that are microwavable just like popcorn and come in all kinds of flavors? Well those would be good to try... My favorite is heating up my bag of pork rines and sprinkling shreaded cheese all over it with your favorite seasoning just enough to melt the cheese a LITTLE. It takes the place of popcorn for me expleshly when watching a scarry movie and ya need that... LOL