Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Hi from Southern California (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=49140)

BryanGB Sun, Jun-30-02 11:32

Hi from Southern California

Hi everyone. My name is Bryan. I’m 41 years old and am a carboholic. Wow, now that that’s done I feel better. What a great site this is… and what great people you all are. I’ve gotten to know a lot of you the last few days and now it’s my turn. I’ve been overweight by about 30% my entire life. In fact the only time I have ever tried to loose weight was when I was 20 and I lost 10 or so pounds on a diet called “Fit For Life”. It was just too hard for me I guess. Diets always meant to me… eat less + burn more = always being hungry. And I don’t have will power for that. In the last few years though, things have changed. I lost my mom to a heart attack at 64 and my dad has had 2 angioplasties. Add to that, 8 and 1 year old boys… and my terrific wife, I needed to change my WOL for them… and for me! When the scales approached 250 this last April and the doctor put me on high blood pressure/cholesterol medication, I new it was time for a new me. I had read a low carb book ‘The Fat Burning Diet’ by Jay Robb a few weeks ago and it just made so much sense. He referred to Dr Atkins about being a pioneer in the low carb way of thinking. It just happed that I had bought Dr. Atkins book 5-6 years earlier and just put it away as another fad. Well I read it cover to cover 3 weeks ago and the next day I bought his updated book which I completely read that day. Although I wanted to start right then and there, I didn’t have the right food in the house and my wife who had just started Weight Watchers was displeased at the different menus we would both have. We had just restocked all our sodas and frozen foods, cereals, etc. It’s been a challenge. I officially started 2 weeks ago last Saturday but had reduced my carb intake slowly the week before so as not to shock my system. (At least that’s my story :spin: ). Well I stuck to Induction to the letter averaging 15 carbs a day and as of this Sunday I’m down to 219. Praise God… and I mean that. Because it’s been so easy I’m sticking to induction for a while. It’s still a ways to 175 (which I haven’t seen since 9th grade). I’m looking forward to sharing my journey with everyone. Thanks for your ears and your prayers, your all in mine!

Bryan

Talon Sun, Jun-30-02 12:04

Hi! :wave:

Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here. Seeing your parents go through the heart troubles really wakes you up. Good for you in doing something about it before it happens. Your wife and little ones will thank you for it.

destro Sun, Jun-30-02 15:13

Hi Bryan,
I was very interested to read your post. You and I have a lot in common although I am SO MUCH older! I have two sons and also have a family history (both parents, assorted aunts and uncles and three out of four grandparents) of cardio-vascular disease.

I think if I had found and started this WOE when I was your age I might have avoided the diagnosis of Type II Diabetes that I had at age 49. Of course I can never know that, but what you do will be good for you, for your wife, and for your children.

Sounds like you have an excellent attitude which will always help.

Take care,

Natalie

razzle Sun, Jun-30-02 17:03

hi Brian. Glad to see you posting.

I'm glad you're a book-reader and thinker--my kind of person. :)

My cholsterol dropped 50 points quickly--though I do exercise, too, which helps. I hope you get a similar great result!

Welcome to the board--it is a great place indeed.

BryanGB Wed, Jul-03-02 10:25

Thanks everyone. I did check out all my options before I started Atkins. Those that are against LC just couln't persuade me with actual facts about why it shouldn't be a preferred WOL. Hope to see less of all of you soon!

Bryan