Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   What is the LC kitchen or household gadget you can't live without? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25242)

AngelaR Sun, Nov-11-01 07:05

What is the LC kitchen or household gadget you can't live without?

It's time in our family to start circulating Christmas wish lists. I'd like to include some LCing goodies on my list.

A good garlic press is on that list.

What gizzmo or rare specialty food product do you have that you can't live without, and why???? (Let's assume Pork Rinds are already on the list :D )

I'll start...

A mini electric chopper. It's about 1/8 the size of a big food processor, only chops, doesn't grate, and is marvelous for finely chopping onions, peppers, grinding nuts to a fine flour. It holds about a cup of chopped up goodies. Easy to use and washes up in a snap. Approx $20

Atriana Sun, Nov-11-01 07:11

I am a kitchen gadget junkie!
One of my favorites is the Isi cream whipper. Just add cream and artificial sweetener. Pop on the charger. Shake. Presto, instant whipped cream with no sugar that dispenses like a Reddi-Whip can and lasts for 14 days in the refrigerator.
Garlic Presses are great, so is this little plastic tube thing that will peel the garlic.
A mandoline, (basically a manual Cuisinart). Great for making super thin slices of cucumber or daikon.

Elihnig Sun, Nov-11-01 07:13

As far as what I can't live without that would be the refrigerator! :)

As for my new favorite thing...I bought myself some delicious...delicious...delicious goat cheese!!! It was $7 for a package and I spread it on some good deli ham and rolled them up. It's to die for!

My husband told me I was making "inappropriate noises" while eating it! :eek: LOL

Elihnig

WentzNH Sun, Nov-11-01 08:15

Mini blender thing!

Hi!
My favorite is definitely that mini blender thing that you put right into a big cup to make a shake. I hve no idea what it is called, but is long and thin and has a spinning blade at the bottom. It is great to make a LC shake quickly and it cleans in a minute because unlike a traditional blender, there is no pitcher to clean!
Carrie :)
ps. I went and looked and it is called a Cuisinart Quick Prep

shelley Sun, Nov-11-01 08:52

I agree with Atriana

I love my mandoline. I almost cut my thumb off with that puppy though!!!! When I told everyone, they had a deer in the headlight look. "I didn't know you played the mandoline" LOL.... :roll:
Also, my convection oven. If that were to stop working I would run out the same day for a new one. Best investment I ever made.

Atriana Mon, Nov-12-01 19:06

Shelly - that is too funny! Even if you DID play the mandoline, you would have to be strumming pretty hard to cut your fingers!

YogaBuff Mon, Nov-12-01 20:28

It was just amazing getting out my FRYING pans again-- they were taboo for so long before lo-carb! And that little 'granny' fork that isn't good for anything but turning bacon......
yb

LC Sponge Mon, Nov-12-01 20:32

My husband.

He's the best low carb gadget I could imagine.

Does all the grocery shopping, all the cooking and a lot of the cleaning up. The man is a low carb genius.

He's not for sale. It's all I can do to stuff him into my stockings at Christmas.

alto Mon, Nov-12-01 20:34

L.C. Sponge's husband, Gizmo, seems ideal. Sigh.

It's not exactly a gadget, and these are early days for me, but I've become very attached to my crockpot.

YogaBuff Mon, Nov-12-01 20:50

LC Sponge, could you just rent him out? It's not that long a drive down to Ohio. C'mon... We used to drive our sons up THERE to hockey camp! 4 measely hrs. I'll pay big!

Just kidding--I usually like to cook. Just once in awhile all of us don't even feel like doing things we like, ya know?LOL

YB

goingfor60 Mon, Nov-12-01 21:22

I cant live without...

hmm I cant live without my microwave which cooks all of my yummy yummy bacon - I'm sure I've eaten atleast 3 pigs by now :p

What other WOE lets you eat bacon on daily basis... I love this WOL. :D

Shannon

Lessara Tue, Nov-13-01 12:24

Need to get some things!

After reading all the posts in the kitchen area I have put the following on my Christmas list:

Food Processor
Microwave
Blender

I do love my frying pan my father gave me, it has raised grill "Lines" so you can cook your meat without it sitting in fat.
Oh, steaks and chops are divine on this!! :cool:

BillT Tue, Nov-13-01 15:14

Re: What is the LC kitchen or household gadget you can't live without?

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by AngelaR
A mini electric chopper
This one?

BillT Tue, Nov-13-01 15:15

Re: Need to get some things!

Quote:
Originally posted by Lessara
Food Processor Blender

Sharon Tue, Nov-13-01 16:41

coffee grinder

My vote:

Mine is similiar to BillT's only not quite as fancy. I find that my coffee grinder is wonderful for grinding flax seed and nuts.