Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Pria Bars (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=157458)

sknymonkey Tue, Jan-06-04 19:02

New Pria Bars

Power bar now makes a LC Pria, and I have to say they are the best LC bars I have ever tasted. My mom got a box at Costco, and I'm going there myself to pick some up.
The only problem is they are too good! It will be hard not to eat the whole box in one sitting.
Has anyone else tried them?

yossi Tue, Jan-06-04 22:42

i bought 5 boxes at coscto, 18 bars for 21, they are deeelicious!

MrFrumble Mon, Jan-12-04 02:32

The best bars I've ever had. Peanut Butter Caramel is the best of all I think.

LadyBelle Mon, Jan-12-04 22:13

I looked at them, but they had way way too much sugar alcohols for me.

I get the regular pria bars for my son. They have no sugar alcohols and are by far the lowest in sugar of any bar I've seen.

capercop Tue, Jan-13-04 11:07

what are the carb counts on the LC Pria bars ?

Pye Mon, Jan-26-04 13:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
I looked at them, but they had way way too much sugar alcohols for me.

I get the regular pria bars for my son. They have no sugar alcohols and are by far the lowest in sugar of any bar I've seen.

What do you consider too many? I think they are great but I also want to stay away from sugar alcohol.

Tracey71 Mon, Feb-09-04 08:57

These are amazing!!! I've only tried the peanut butter caramel, but they are so good!!! 2 net carbs per bar.

Skinny Jim Mon, Feb-09-04 11:31

Yeah, I agree, they are the best tasting I've tried, but they contain bad fats.

acipenser Mon, Feb-09-04 11:42

i tried them. didn't really like them. the bottom half is too blah tasking and all the goey caramely stuff on top doesn't feel nutricious enough. if you are using them as a candy bar sub, probably okay, but as a protein bar.., in my mind not substantial enough.

Ellipsis Mon, Feb-09-04 17:32

My sweetie picked up a box of these yesterday at Costco...we're both really pleased with them! They taste fantastic, indeed, and I appreciate the low net-carb count.

My only "complaint" is that they aren't, well, as *dry* as some of the other LC bars I've had...makes my water-drinking goals a bit more difficult to achieve! I could easily down a couple liters while eating one of those dry LC bars! ;)

-- Nicky

andrabell Sat, Feb-14-04 22:05

They are probably the only "treat" with sugar alcohols that didn't cause Mt. Vesuvius to erupt. Really nice with a cup of tea after dinner at the weekend.

sgoeller Sun, Feb-15-04 04:26

Costco

I agree that these bars are good, I eat them for dessert every now and then because they are damn good. Peanut Butter Caramel is my favorite. I was looking through the Costco "wallet coupons" and coming up Feb23-Feb29 there is a coupon to save $10 of the Pria Carb Select Variety Pack. That's a good deal! -Steve

cathafer46 Mon, Feb-16-04 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Jim
Yeah, I agree, they are the best tasting I've tried, but they contain bad fats.

i dont think the pria bars have the bad fat (trans fats) in them..it actually lists trans fats on the nutrition label and it says 0 next to it

Skinny Jim Tue, Feb-17-04 12:29

Fractionated palm kernal oil as an ingredient, though I don't know just how much they put in to qualify as being trans-fat free. You are right, however, for the label says transfat free.

Here is the ingredient list:

INGREDIENTS: Maltitol Syrup, TriSource™ Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate (from milk), Calcium Caseinate (from milk), Soy Protein Isolate), Glycerin, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil, Water, Peanuts, Alkalized Cocoa, Unsweetened Chocolate, Natural Flavor, Soy Lecithin, Almond Butter, Polydextrose, Oat Fiber, Sodium Caseinate (from milk), Cream, Nonfat Dry Milk, Butter, Monoglycerides, Salt, Disodium Phosphate, Carrageenan, Sucralose, Peanut Flour.

Believe me, if I would feel good about that particular ingredient, I would buy these puppies regularly. Thanks for replying, and I will research this product a little more carefully. These bars are the BEST!

Skinny Jim Tue, Feb-17-04 12:32

Something Else...

I also came across this statement in their FAQ webpage:

7: Does Pria™ Carb Select™ have any trans fat?

Pria™ Carb Select™ bars do not contain trans fat. Trans fatty acids are substances that, depending on intake and total dietary patterns, can raise total blood cholesterol levels, and can raise LDL ("bad") cholesterol and lower HDL ("good") cholesterol. By 2006, the FDA is requiring all food manufacturers to include trans fat in the Nutrition Facts box on product labels. See the Nutrition Facts on the label for more nutrition information.