Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   acceptable life saver kinds of things? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=169437)

lasert Thu, Feb-26-04 16:40

acceptable life saver kinds of things?

I'm sure I have read about some but have no idea where to begin searching for something to keep my mouth moist as I start taking the latest Prescription I have been given which virtually guarentees a dry mouth and dry eyes.
I'm not a candy sort of person but some of you must have found things you can use to keep your mouth moist.
Years ago, under similar circumstances, I used lemon drops but I suspect those would be a no-no now on Atkins.
Suggestions gratefully received.

Fun5oh Thu, Feb-26-04 18:02

Personally I chew Arctic Ice gum. helps me with the dry mouth and ketone breath. I don't worry about the carbs in the gum, but that's just me. I don't have alot to lose and I feel the confidence of being "fresh" helps me a great deal. Of course that doesn't help dry eyes, eye drops work pretty well :)

mem2 Thu, Feb-26-04 22:18

I don't know how you feel about sugar alcohols. There is a sugar free gum, Wrigey's Extra, polar ice flavor that has 2gms carbs but also 2 gms sugar alcohols that can be subtracted so it's 0 carbs. I like it.

idontno Fri, Feb-27-04 04:27

i guess if you really just had to have something you could try it watch closely and see if you stall out on your weight loss. or just hang tough till ya get where your going. cheese and nuts made me stall under 1 once a day (found out the hard way) no fat lost during that time. i dont eat sugar in any form acohol or not. every-body is diffrent. hey you have done great on your loss so far keep it up.

Lesle Fri, Feb-27-04 05:20

I use sugar-free gum to combat the need for sweets, and to keep "fresh" too.
Also, Baskin-Robbins makes little sugar free candy drops in ice cream flavors..My fave is the mint chocolate chip!

cmcole Sat, Feb-28-04 09:34

I picked up some Sweet 'n' Low candies recently, but gave them away. I decided against them, although you may like them - I didn't try them, so it wasn't the taste. I just am sort of confused about the sugar alcohol thing, and didn't want to have them around to indulge.

Regarding the dry mouth - if you have the opportunity to make ice cubes, could you use them - or even if you made them out of something you'd like to drink - say, like a mini-popsicle, perhaps it would help with the dry mouth.

The eye thing - I'd have to guess it would have to be one of those artificial tears type of drops if it is really bothersome.

I'm wondering if drinking profuse amounts of water would help keep you entirely hydrated, and it wouldn't be as much of a problem for you?

Starbucks mints are sugar-free, sweetened without aspartame, but don't last long.

lasert Sat, Feb-28-04 11:44

dry eyes don't appear to be much

of an issue after all. Physician warned I might have that side effect but I am not noticing it.
Actually, the dry mouth is not so noticeable either and I have tried the Dentyne gum recommended above. It is okay but I was hoping for something like a hard candy that would last longer.......like sour balls.
Oh well, since the diet works, I'll just put up with the side effects of the meds I am on.

TarHeel Sat, Feb-28-04 11:53

Drugstores and grocery stores down here now usually have various flavoured s/f hard candies. Look in either the diabetic section of a drugstore, or in the regular candy aisle of a grocery store. See all those "bagged" candies hanging on hooks? These days there is almost always have a small assortment of s/f candy. I like the CVS butterscotch hard candy, as well as a toffee flavored (very small) hard candy....perhaps made by Hershey?

Good luck,

Kay

lasert Sat, Feb-28-04 13:28

thanks, I'll look for them

mostly, I just see the Sorbee brand which I learned the hard way years ago can really give you painful cramps and diarrhea if you eat too many.
Though, diarrhea might not be so bad now that I consider it. LOL

diemde Sat, Feb-28-04 13:54

I just bought SF Chocolate flavored Velamints last night. 0 net carbs, 5 calories each. They are pretty good. Kinda pricy though, $2.29.

lasert Sun, Feb-29-04 15:38

found the answer at WalMart Superstore

this morning........a whole range of Sugar Free hard candies, Life Savers, Great Value (Walmart house brand), Baskin & Robbins....etc. most made with Splenda, all warning that excessive consumption could have a laxative effect..........aaah, the answer to constipation!

freckles Sun, Feb-29-04 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasert
this morning........a whole range of Sugar Free hard candies, Life Savers, Great Value (Walmart house brand), Baskin & Robbins....etc. most made with Splenda, all warning that excessive consumption could have a laxative effect..........aaah, the answer to constipation!

:lol: That's exactly what I was going to recommend! Wal-Mart has a WONDERFUL selection of lc goodies now...just noticed friday that they are now carrying a pretty substantial lc wrap that is flavored herb something I think and inexpensive too. They're in the deli area for when you get to the point you can add them in.

bevbme Mon, Mar-01-04 11:20

Red bell peppers. Lots of moisture. Or cucumbers-cut in spears-it maks a difference in moisture.

RBenz72 Tue, Mar-02-04 00:03

For dry mouth I use sugar free throat lozenges...Longs drug store brand or Hals. Also, for dry irritated eyes Genteal drops are great.

PineSlayer Sat, Mar-06-04 08:03

Having something in your mouth to suck on is what stimulates saliva production and helps with dry mouth. I doesn't have to be something that dissolves. How about a raw almond or two?