Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   So ... how did yesterday go? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=26151)

nancyb Fri, Nov-23-01 08:03

So ... how did yesterday go?

Just fine here, I really prepared mentally and it helped that dinner was at my house ... more control of the menu.

I served some beautiful cold shrimp and some celery stuffed w/ cream cheese and blue cheese as pre-dinner nibbles. I prepared my own wonderful chocolate dessert (everyone else had pumpkin pie, which luckily I don't care for anyway).

I had no problem with ignoring the potatoes, creamed broccoli, stuffing, gravy and all of the other goodies I used to devour. I always thought that I could never be able to eat turkey without cranberry sauce ... not the case now.

I am so grateful that it was not a struggle and I am proud of myself. Yesterday WAS a day for thanksgiving. I hope you had an equally great Thanksgiving.
Nancy

goingfor60 Fri, Nov-23-01 11:19

Thanksgiving Survivor

Great post Nancyb!

I catered a party yesterday and there was so much bread and sugar in and on everything that I was glad I wasn't putting any of it into my body. I now get that saying"Your body is a temple"

At first I felt a little shaky since I kept getting the food on my hands and then I realized (duh! wash them) and that made life better, although I must have washed my hands about 100 times. As for tasting what I was cooking I had everyone that was assisting me taste everything and that worked.

I am thankful that I got through the day without 1 bad thing going into my mouth.

Shannon :cheer:

alto Fri, Nov-23-01 11:31

I have a longstanding tradition of going out for Thanksgiving dinner (culture note: we went to one of Washington, D.C.'s biggest hotels at 6:00 p.m. and there were only four other tables occupied. Usually, you have to make reservations a month in advance.)

My way of trying to make this a WOE is to be careful, but not to be rigidly LC on feast days or at someone's home. They're so few for me ( no more than six a year) that I think this is feasible.

So this is not a LC menu, but I felt I coped. I had a drink - whiskey. It was a set menu. The appetizer was a field greens salad dressed with oil and vinegar -- LC! Turkey with sausage stuffing, very little breading. The vegetables were Brussel sprouts, carrots and sweet potatoes. I had a taste of each, with butter. I avoided the bread, but did eat half a serving of apple pie with ice cream (the other choices were pumpkin and coconut cream).

The nice thing about restaurants is that the portions are reasonable. I didn't have to worry about being offered seconds or feeling stuffed afterwards. I'm happy :)

Atriana Fri, Nov-23-01 12:18

I had decided to do a "planned cheat" on Thanksgiving. I was pretty bummed out, this was the first Thanksgiving since my Mom died and the second since my son died.
We went out to one of those all you can eat piggy bars. I wound up eating a big salad, broccoli with cheese and turkey. None of the desserts even looked good to me. So much for my cheat - maybe for Christmas!

JeanetteJ Fri, Nov-23-01 15:59

I have been on shakey ground, and thought I might be setting myself up for failure, as I decided the day before Thanksgiving to get strictly back on track. But.... I did it! Have an entire whole pumpkin pie in the freezer, completely untouched! I will be spending Christmas out of towns, and I fear things will be much harder...

Jeanette

EllieEats Fri, Nov-23-01 17:22

I went to a friend's for Thanksgiving. Practically everyone there was on one diet or another! :( We had atkins, low fat, carb. addicts.......
Well, everyone brought one food item that was "legal" with their turkey (just in case) :D I brought my turnips and my salad dressing (many brought their salad dressing)
There was quite a combo of food---- but I was content with the "bird", a little turnips, and a nice salad. (still on induction)
It was perfect and a beautiful day!!! :)
Also----- no desserts!!! Dessert was kept in another room and participaters went in there and had dessert------ it all worked out great !!! (didn't have to watch anyone munch pies , or cakes or cookies or whatever else may have been in there------I don't know for sure--- didn't go :D )

Ellie :wave:

nancyb Fri, Nov-23-01 17:53

Ellen ... what a thoughtful and inspired bunch you hooked up with for your turkey day.
Nancy

nsmith4366 Fri, Nov-23-01 18:52

Proud

My family went to a restaurant...I got to order from the menu OR have their standard turkey plate...I ordered a seafood salad/crab, lobster, shrimp on romaine with ranch. It was so easy, I almost felt guilty watching all those other people eating that awful standard turkey plate/turkey, stuffing, yams, cranberry sauce and pie - they all said THEIR food was awful and they all felt stuffed and sick later at home. I thought mine was wonderful. Not one tempt to cheat...sure, everyone commented on my "no turkey" thanksgiving, but they didn't make fun of me later after the carbs they ate kicked in and they were on the floor tired and bloated and wishing they'd had what I had the courage to order - something different - something non-traditional - and low carb. :)

nancyb Fri, Nov-23-01 19:04

"after the carbs they ate kicked in and they were on the floor tired and bloated"

What a giggle ... sounds like me on Thanksgiving last year, and the year before that, and the year before that ...

Nancy