Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   MAN...Im craving....PROTIEN! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=87290)

m0bster Mon, Feb-17-03 15:35

MAN...Im craving....PROTIEN!

Dang it...not craving bread, nor sugar, nor carbs of any kind. I am at this moment sitting at work and craving TUNA of all things! I want a 12 oz can of Tuna with 2 tbsp of Dukes Mayo...put in some barbeque flavored hot pork rinds and mix it up...Oh GOD, I can taste it NOW! I might have to leave work early just to get home to get some...LOL. Anyone else crave something that is actually GOOD for you?

RGale Mon, Feb-17-03 16:12

Pork roast with cracklings -- the one I remember from childhood before they started breeding the pigs to be leaner. A lean pig, sadly, is a dry pig. (Or worse yet, they inject it with salt and sugar "for moisture" before you even get to it. I say leave the poor beasts alone in the first place!) Oops. Rant over.

--Ruth

Lisa N Mon, Feb-17-03 16:16

Something that I crave from time to time is my broccoli salad. Break raw broccoli up into small flowerets (about 4 cups) then add shredded cheddar (1 cup or so), bacon bits (maybe 6 slices crumbled) and red onion (about 1/2 cup diced). Dress with a mixture of 1 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup Splenda. Awesome! :D

manucpa Mon, Feb-17-03 16:25

That is a VERY good sign ..you're de-toxing !

m0bster Mon, Feb-17-03 17:42

Quote:
Originally posted by manucpa
That is a VERY good sign ..you're de-toxing !

Is it really? That is pretty cool! I tried the cauliflower mashed potatoes tonight and they were AWESOME! Now Im gonna crave those!

achio4444 Mon, Feb-17-03 18:19

Cravings....

Yum, I crave new things I make until I eat them so much I get tired of them....on my list are:

nuked pepperoni

parm cheese chicken fingers

parm cheese taco shells filled w. grilled chicken

cream cheese pancakes!

Guess that is all for now! Yeah yeah yeah for this way of life!

Amy :)

manucpa Mon, Feb-17-03 18:19

Hubby and I luv the cauliflower. Try throwing in a bunch of cheese in addition to butter and cream after you've boiled or steamed it and bake it in the oven for about 45 min kinda of like baked ziti.

Carrollee Mon, Feb-17-03 22:16

Ruth,

What are 'Cracklings'?

Thanks,

Carrollee

RGale Mon, Feb-17-03 22:36

Cracklings, in the context of a pork roast with skin, are the bits of skin that get cooked to a wonderful crispy-yet-chewey consistency. I think they're absolutely irresistable. Another kind of crackling can be had when you render pork or chicken fat slowly in a pan. All of the fat itself will cook out, leaving behind crispy bits of the protein matrix that holds the fat together. These cracklings are much more like the pork rinds that you buy in the store. Hope this made sense.

--Ruth

m0bster Tue, Feb-18-03 08:07

Cracklins are WAY better than pork rinds!

Carrollee Tue, Feb-18-03 08:59

Thank you for your answers. I had thought I had heard of 'em, but could not remember what. For some reason I was associating the name 'cracklins' with the times I lived in Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana but no so much with the Pacific Northwest.

Thanks,

Carrollee

Redfallon Tue, Feb-18-03 10:11

Re: Cravings....

Quote:
Originally posted by achio4444
Yum, I crave new things I make until I eat them so much I get tired of them....on my list are:

parm cheese chicken fingers

How do you make those? Sounds lovely :)

theresa113 Tue, Feb-18-03 18:41

mobster,

before Atkins, I rarely ate meat. I was a carbaholic!

It was so cool the first time I was craving protein. i knew i had kicked my carb habit. Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great! :)

Oh and for cravings... a big juicey steak with a smear of garlic butter on top and some sauteed mushrooms! YUM! :yum:

m0bster Tue, Feb-18-03 20:03

Now you went and made me hungry! And no steak in the house...what's a guy to do? :D:D:D

Jetstream Tue, Feb-18-03 20:44

What's a parm cheese taco shell, and where do I get one?

Thanks-