Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I'm going to cry . . . (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=47777)

Dollygrrl Sun, Jun-16-02 21:12

I'm going to cry . . .

I finally got up the courage to weigh myself, and I weigh 165 lbs! I've never been so heavy in my life, I am so horrified! *cries* I figure I need to lose about 60 lbs. (though I will probably be gaining some muscle, I'm starting to do weights) At 5 lbs a month, it would take me a whole year. It seems like such an insurmountable task. :cry: I'm kicking myself for letting myself get so fat, I got down to 135 at one point!

Dad and I are grocery shopping tommorrow or Tuesday (I'm pushing for tommorrow!), and starting the next day. I am disgusted with myself and can't wait to start, even if it means carb withdrawal!

Thanks for letting me vent.

~Dollygrrl~

JudyAH Sun, Jun-16-02 23:22

Dollygrrl,
Don't beat yourself up so much. We have all been there and had to start over. Just remember. This is the last time you'll ever start over because this is a way of life for life. The food is terrific, you never have to be hungry again and if it takes a year so what? It is a blip on the screen. Breathe, take it easy and enjoy the ride. You will find lots of help and support in this forum.

AngelaR Mon, Jun-17-02 03:28

Dolly
You wipe away those tears and put a smile on your face. You should be so proud of yourself for making such an important decision to start on the Low Carb path and change your life around. Everyone here is already so proud of you for making that decision, joining this community and already planning to go out and buy the right foods.

The carb withdrawals only last a few days. Make sure you go over and visit the Newbie forum and read all the sticky links at the top. They'll give you tons of info about what to expect with withdrawals, and tips for success. There's also a forum expecially for students. So you'll be able to find young folks like yourself who are dealing with the special challenges that young folks have (peer pressure, the convenience of fast foods etc). You'll also be happy to know that you can still have hamburgers (just order them without the bun!)

Even if it does take a year, think about all the things you will learn along the way. You will have developed such strong healthy eating habits and reinforced them day after day. You are also not alone here when it comes to time. Many of us have been at this for a while already. Patience is a virtue. It can be your friend in the long run.

Good luck Dolly. And don't be a fraid to ask questions. There are so many precious people here who are always willing to provide advice, information and moral support.

agonycat Mon, Jun-17-02 04:42

Re: I'm going to cry . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Dollygrrl
At 5 lbs a month, it would take me a whole year. It seems like such an insurmountable task.
~Dollygrrl~

It's only a year out of the rest of your life :) And look at it another way. If you didn't start the plan, in a year you would still be a year older and just as heavy, instead you are going to be lighter and healthier.

Take baby steps. Be patient with yourself, after all I am sure you didn't gain the 60 pounds in 12 months.

Good luck

TeriDoodle Mon, Jun-17-02 08:04

Ohhhh Dolly!! :there: I know how you feel, but I PROMISE you'll feel a lot better in a few short days when the weight starts to come off! It's a big help when you're clothes start to feel more comfortable and you can start to see and feel results.... don't worry!!

The smartest thing you can do for yourself is to make a commitment to visit and post on this board every day. Trust me on that. I never would have made it this far, nor would I have learned 1/3 of what I know now without the great people here.

And AngelaR has spoken for all of us when she says that we're all so proud of you already!! You're in good hands. We're glad to help.

razzle Mon, Jun-17-02 08:33

I began with disgust, too--but it feels SO good when that goes away (better than the pounds going away!) that I hope you leave it behind soon. Weight loss is more likely to be permanent when we do it out of a sense of self-love.

60 pounds isn't as much as some of our members have to lose. I find it helpful--and humbling--to think about the people who have lost 100 and have 150 more to go, and are doing it with smiles on their faces. They're my heroes!

Dollygrrl Mon, Jun-17-02 11:47

:bhug: to all of you! Your words of encouragement really helped brighten my mood, you guys are like a ray of sunshine. :sunny:

A year still seems like a long time. But, I have to realize that its not like I'll be this overweight through the whole "journey". Right now I feel very self conscious of my weight, and can't seem to find anything to wear that I feel comfortable in. But, I have a wardrobe of size 12 clothes (that is the smallest I was, when I was in 10th grade) and I know I will be able to get into those in a few short months and I will feel so much better then.

So, to accentuate the positive results I think I'll set some "mini goals" for myself. :thup:

And I just discovered the "journals" area --- what a fabulous idea! That looks like something that will really be of help to me, I'm definitely going to start one. I also enjoy looking at other people's their progress is so inspiring.

Now to talk dad into going grocery shopping asap! ;)

Lisa N Mon, Jun-17-02 17:06

A year may seem like a long time...

But it's really not, especially when you think one day at a time instead of so far ahead. Concentrate on the here and now and how much better you will be feeling in a short time and before you know it, you'll be at your destination. Small goals are a good idea; every journey is made up of thousands of smaller steps. The journey is half the fun of getting there! Enjoy the scenery and learn all you can along the way. I'll take being a year older and wiser along with being healthier and thinner over just being another year older any day!

Claudia9 Tue, Jun-18-02 06:40

Quote:
I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul, wrote W.E. Henley

:cheer: for starting this way of life early on...think of it as building a good solid foundation for your lifetime.

:rheart: :bhug: from my motherly nurturing side.

Good luck and hand in there....we are all with you....

and your dad seems to be a great support too...way to go!!!

Dollygrrl Tue, Jun-18-02 12:42

Quote:
starting this way of life early on...think of it as building a good solid foundation for your lifetime

That's a good point there! It is good to know that I will be able to stay slim and healthy as I get older, I hear so much about people that just keep gaining as they age and I don't want that to happen to me. Thank you for your words of encouragement. :)