Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   there's gotta be a way (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=36627)

jabs72 Sat, Mar-09-02 20:59

there's gotta be a way

I was just on the atkins center site and saw a recipe for cupcakes, but you have to buy the atkins baking product. Is there any way to make up a mix myself. i know when i was carbing, i made a scratch BISQUIK mix, so as to not have to buy the store stuff...is there a way to do the same thing with the atkins baking mix. I would love to know what to buy and the proportions.

thanks for any help.

ldypgmr Sat, Mar-09-02 21:04

Great Question

I don't know the answer, but would also like to know.

Dee

Karen Sat, Mar-09-02 21:52

There are three recipe sections on the forum. From the orange bar at the top of the page is Karen's Recipes and from there you can get to readers recipes. There is also the Kitchen Forum.

These two were in the bread and pasta section of readers recipes.

Faux Atkins Bake Mix

Atkins-Like Bake Mix

Karen

jabs72 Sat, Mar-09-02 22:28

thanks karen, for the links. now, where might i find these two products to purchase to make this mix:

cup soy flour

soy protein isolate

I would think that i could find soy flour at a health food store, but i have never heard of soy protein isolate.

thanks

Tracern77 Sun, Mar-10-02 09:07

where to find....

I just recently purchased soy flour at the grocery store, in the natural food section. Had a harder time finding the soy protein isolate though. I went to the grocery store and found the flavored stuff...chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. They only had one kind of the unflavored and it was $18.00 yikes!!! (it's expensive to eat healthy sometimes!) I searched at Wal-Mart...they also have a section with low carb products...just flavored there as well. I then ended up finding it at GNC....it was only $13.00 I picked it up and made some low-carb tortillas..yum. Hope that helps! Good luck! :)

Tracern77 Sun, Mar-10-02 13:41

carb count???

Karen,

You posted some sites on here that have a similiar recipe for the Atkins Bake mix...does it have the same carb count at the Atkins mix?? 6g of carbs/serving...1/4c with 3g of that being dietary fiber? I'm talking about the first recipe with the soy protein isolate...that one seems to be the most similiar. Just curious. Thanks

Heeligan2 Sun, Mar-10-02 14:33

I looked at those two recipes and the second one has shortening while the first does not. It seems that would make a big difference in how things come out.

Karen Sun, Mar-10-02 15:00

Sorry, I don't have the carb count on either recipe. I've never used them, prefering sweet and creamy dessert-y things over baked goods.

Karen

IslandGirl Mon, Mar-11-02 02:41

Heeligan and Trace:

I recommend you ask at the Health Food Store for any ingredient you can't find quickly. Just about any special ingredient in low carb cookery can be found at the Health Food Store or they can direct you. They will probably have heard of it, even if you haven't.

As for carb counts in recipes, if you are on a low carb plan, you know how to look up the carb counts of ingredients, right? So just look up the carb counts of the ingredients in the recipe, and add them up, then divide by the number of servings. Bingo.

Only the writers of the recipe will have the actual carb counts, so if they're not already there, you will have to do it yourself... and actually, you should do that anyway to be on the safe side, because the counts will differ between brands on ingredients, for example...