Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I'm Discouraged!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=55001)

yvette Fri, Aug-09-02 13:21

I'm Discouraged!!!

Been on atkins almost 2 weeks. I feel like ive followed the program perfectly. And the first week I looked like I lost almost 3lbs. Weighed this week...and I'm...Exactly where I started!! Not a darn pound. Im sooo frustrated.

The only thing I could think of is maybe I'm not eating enough calories... This is a typical day for me...

1 egg 1/2oz cheese (if that) maybe 1/2 sausage pattie or 2 cream cheese & egg snack (2crbs each).

cup or so salad..egg,mayo, shrimp, tuna or ( just the egg salad), bacon bits, and feta(sm amt), ranch dressing (sm amt)

dinner salad or veggies (2/3 cup) and meat, chic, or fish

Some days, one Atkins bar (2crbs)...And lots and lots of water.

Whats up with this?? Please help. (Need to lose 30lbs)

agonycat Fri, Aug-09-02 13:50

Re: I'm Discouraged!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by yvette

Some days, one Atkins bar (2crbs)...And lots and lots of water.

Whats up with this?? Please help. (Need to lose 30lbs)

These are no nos on induction. No where are they listed in the book in the induction chapter.

It doesn't look like you are eating enough calories. Have you used fitday.com to input your menus to find out how much you are eating?

Evil-Twin Fri, Aug-09-02 18:00

Don't get discouraged: I've been on this for three weeks and I haven't lost a pound..but I will never give up.. I would also suggest fitday.com. It is easy and it gives you a much better handle on what you are eating and the ratios of fat to carbs to protein..If i can do this you can do it.. Stop and look at my three week journel.. if you ned some inspiration .. you can click on the journel icon at the bottom of this post.
Good luck
This is a right way to it...
I am commited
Bill ( E-T )

SooCee Fri, Aug-09-02 19:38

Some people lose weight slowly, but all the time. The other type is you suddenly lose weight, then don't lose any or even gain a little for a while... either way it could be a pain... I would also suggest you go to fitday. There you can see exactly how many carbs, cal, fat, etc you are eating. Good Luck to you always!

SooCee :wave:

yvette Sun, Aug-11-02 14:28

Thanks for the advice

I did try fitday.com. It said i was eating appox. 1350 cals, 40 fat, and 12 carbs on average. But im not sure how many cals I should eat. I am 5ft 150lbs.

And i reviewed my atkins program. It said one could add atkins bars, nuts, etc. to make up the >20 carbs. (If not getting all from veggies) This is wrong?

I will keep trying....guess I was hoping for a 5 lb loss!! Not a 1 pound loss :( Thanks for the posts, guys. Keep em coming!! All suggestions are appreciated.

Evil-Twin Sun, Aug-11-02 16:18

yvette:
Dont be discouraged.. rule of thumb is 10 X to 12 X or body weight in calories, so you should be eating 1500 to 1800 a day no less.. also the fat to protein to carbs ratios are important.
this is where fitday.com comes into play..
Your fat should be 70 to 75 % your carbs should be 2 to 5 % and your protein should be 20 to 25 %... It is dificult to maintane the fat levels.. but it is important ... too much protein can turn to glucose..
I hope this helps
Bill ( E-T )

yvette Mon, Aug-12-02 14:01

Thanks so much ET. That does help me alot, and atleast explains the "why". Guess Id better start using more fats. And I will use fitday.

You Rock.
Thanks Again!!:)

dabrahamso Tue, Aug-13-02 20:17

Yvette, don't get discouraged. This woe is a weird and wonderful thing. I've never jumped up and down so much as I do on Atkins. The bottom line is, you need to eat enough to keep your metabolism working. I think everyone, I know myself, falls victim to not being hungry and then you have to force yourself to eat. Keep finger type foods available all the time so if you don't feel like eating a cooked meal you can snack. I like to keep ham available so I can pick up a few pieces and snack on them. Celery sticks cut up and kept in a glass of water in the fridge are a great grab and run. Also keep hardboiled eggs in the fridge all the time, they're great for grabbing as well. I also try to take hardboiled eggs, celery and cheese with me if I know I'm going out and think I might run into a problem with finding the right food. I also keep a bag of bacon puffs around in case that munching phase attacks. They are great with sour cream. I also made the peanut butter cookies if you look through the sweet treats forum and the cheesecake muffins are to die for. Also you have to try the mock danish, they are absolutely scrumptious. They have become my favourite breakfast meal. These are all in the sweet treats forum in the recipes. Check it out, there are great ideas in there. :thup:

janeanne Tue, Aug-13-02 21:59

How much water are you drinking? You need to drink a lot of water. I have been on it for 10 days and have lost 8 pounds. :confused:
Hang in there.

yvette Thu, Aug-15-02 07:25

NO weight loss....YET

Well, its 2 1/2 weeks in. Ive lost maybe, 1 pound. I drink tons of water. Think im doing everything right. Ive definitely started eating alot more fats. Hoping that will help.

As far as nuts and atkins bars (maybe 2x week), are these ok if counted as carbs? The book says its ok, but who knows.

Hopefully I'll end up will a (atleast) moderate loss soon. Im really trying not to get frustrated. Ive never had problems losing with effort before.

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I truly appreciate it!!