Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Ketostix question too??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=158760)

Hmac Sun, Jan-11-04 19:36

Ketostix question too???

I started Atkins last Sat the 3rd. I have lost ten lbs in that time and have only shown trace on the Ketostix. Someone mentioned water dilutes. Is that true because I love my water and drink tons. My comment on my Atkins Journal was. " Ketostix do not make the weight or world go around. Can someone enlighten me PLEASE,

LadyBelle Sun, Jan-11-04 19:45

What the ketostix show is excess keotenes in the urine. Water dilutes the urine and make less keotenes per volume. Keotenes are used for energy, and this is why only excess keotenes are shown in urine. When you exercise, there are fewer excess and this can also lower the amount.

If any color is showing, then you are in ketosis. It's like saying the line on a pregnancy test isn't dark enough, so you should try to get more pragnant.

Keep up with the water. It flushes toxins from the system, keeps everything running smoothly, clears the skin and so on. If you are drinking a ton you might consider supplimenting with pottasium as electrolytes can be flushed form the system. A simple health fair blood teast can show your levels of electrolytes if you are concerned.

Hmac Sun, Jan-11-04 19:48

Thanks Lady Belle. I tend to get obsessive when I am on a quest and I have decided that this is my newest quest!

Galadriell Sun, Jan-11-04 20:29

Info about ketosis, ketostix

Click on the "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar on the top of the page. You can find tons of info about ketosis, ketostix.

OHGal1415 Sun, Jan-11-04 21:40

I know of several people who cannot turn the stix any color, yet are losing on LC like gangbusters.

Think about it. Which is more important--turning the stix, or losing weight? ;)

hey_Neener Sun, Jan-11-04 22:46

I'm going out on a limb here-and I can't prove it, but I think the people that are LC and not showing ketones on their sticks are eating few enough calories that they use up the ketones they are creating. In a way, it seems to be a good barameter of how many excess fats/calories we're eating.

Hmac Thu, Jan-15-04 14:32

Hey_Neener' Thanks for the reply. Does that mean I am using up and burning it? One day the stick was dark but then next not soooooo I get rather confused. I have continued to loss and that is my goal after all.
Hmac

distinct77 Thu, Jan-15-04 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_Neener
I'm going out on a limb here-and I can't prove it, but I think the people that are LC and not showing ketones on their sticks are eating few enough calories that they use up the ketones they are creating. In a way, it seems to be a good barameter of how many excess fats/calories we're eating.

Now there is something that makes sence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MomSharon Thu, Jan-15-04 16:11

If I remember correctly from the book, ketones are not used *for* energy, they are the by-products of body fat having been used or burned for energy. I remember being told to think of them as "ashes".

Sharon

Lammie22 Thu, Jan-15-04 18:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
What the ketostix show is excess keotenes in the urine. Water dilutes the urine and make less keotenes per volume. Keotenes are used for energy, and this is why only excess keotenes are shown in urine. When you exercise, there are fewer excess and this can also lower the amount.

If any color is showing, then you are in ketosis. It's like saying the line on a pregnancy test isn't dark enough, so you should try to get more pragnant.

Keep up with the water. It flushes toxins from the system, keeps everything running smoothly, clears the skin and so on. If you are drinking a ton you might consider supplimenting with pottasium as electrolytes can be flushed form the system. A simple health fair blood teast can show your levels of electrolytes if you are concerned.

Would pottasium lift my energy level? Some days I get sooooo tired. I drink tons of water (it's all I drink, literally). (Usually in trace, sometimes small ketosis) I'm on day 18, I was hoping for some energy by now. Any tips?

Lammie22 Thu, Jan-15-04 19:13

"When Sufficient Glucose From CHO Is Not Available for Energy, Ketones Derived From Fat Are Used as Energy"

http://atkins.com/science/principle...e-from-CHO.html