Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How do YOU count <1g?? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=172526)

toddzilla Sat, Mar-13-04 10:44

How do YOU count <1g??

Hello all,

As you know, many foods are listed as <1g of carbohydrate per serving (take Atkins BBQ sauce for example).

Is there an industry standard for being able to state <1g? I mean, does that mean there is a small trace of carbohydrates present (ie .05 g) or does that mean there could possibly be .99 g?? That is a big difference...especially for those in the earlier stages of Atkins.

I usually count a serving such as this as 1 whole gram of carbohydrate to stay safe.

How do you guys handle it? Does anyone know what "<1g" actually means??

twinky Sat, Mar-13-04 10:46

if you read above the index it will tell you how much is 1 gr of carb
example 1tsp = 1 carb

sydnarella Sat, Mar-13-04 11:55

I cheat a little and call it .75 of a carb ;)

potatofree Sat, Mar-13-04 12:07

It could be ANY amount .99 or less. I guess I usually count it as 1 to be safe, but it also depends on how close I am to my limit and how bad I want the food in question! :lol:

I would kill myself with confusion trying to count the decimal points...

mel92 Sat, Mar-13-04 12:33

I count it as 1g. It made it WAY easier on me during induction to round up to 1g, then fiddle with fractions.

:)melissa

toddzilla Sat, Mar-13-04 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
It could be ANY amount .99 or less. I guess I usually count it as 1 to be safe, but it also depends on how close I am to my limit and how bad I want the food in question! :lol:

I would kill myself with confusion trying to count the decimal points...

lol
:lol:

geminigirl Sat, Mar-13-04 13:22

I also count it as 1 gram of carbs. I've read that in the U.S., manufacturers do not have to list anything less than 1 gram; it can say zero. So, I just try to stay on the safe side and count it. Products can be real deceiving. Good luck! :)

imlosingit Sat, Mar-13-04 13:27

I also count it as 1 gram.

Lessara Sat, Mar-13-04 13:32

potatofree - I have the same method!! :lol:

4beans4me Sat, Mar-13-04 14:09

I count 1 carb. :)

Marieshops Sat, Mar-13-04 18:31

I count anything that may have some carb as 1 even if label says 0.
Marie

djcarbno Sat, Mar-13-04 18:50

FYI: just read that food producers are now going to have to disclose fully all nutritional ingredients - especially carb counts and to also justify the servings! It will only get easier!

MISSRED197 Sat, Mar-13-04 18:57

I do the same and round up to 1 carb. :)
Unless it's listed in the Atkins index like eggs are .6
But on the products packaging if it says less than 1, I count it as 1 to be safe.

~Becky :roll:

DEM Sat, Mar-13-04 19:36

In that situation I usually just count it at one carb. I am strict in some sense but if I am close to my 25g carb limit a day and want something that is say, 2g and would put me to 26g or 27 I go ahead and eat it but I wont eat something that puts me well over. I wouldent worry to much about if you consider it 1g or not unless you are counting every last little bit.