Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Want Great Induction Recipes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=123972)

randisue Fri, Jul-18-03 21:06

Want Great Induction Recipes

Does anyone have good ideas for induction recipes. I think having a bunch of recipes handy for "inductees" would be helpful. I went to the recipe section and many of the recipes are too high in carbs for me.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

GoHokies05 Fri, Jul-18-03 21:18

I am interested as well since the same old chicken and squash is driving me crazy!

LadyBelle Fri, Jul-18-03 22:05

There is a large recipe sectionon this forum with a lot of great ideas. You can also buy cookbooks for LC. My favorite so far is 500 Low-Carb Recipes. Visit the Atkins site, as well as do low carb searches online. Look in peoples journals on here for ideas. Remember too there is a huge list of allowed veggies. Pick one you've never tried, then do a recipe search for it. Give it a whirl :) You can also experiment. I've done this alot. Some ideas have been failures, others have been so good everyone else eats all my food :\

Skamito Sat, Jul-19-03 01:14

One of my induction favorites: Simple stirfry with either beef or chicken strips, wok oil (or olive oil is fine), fresh garlic, and veggies to your liking. I usually use broccoli and some canned straw mushrooms (it's only 12g carb - 8g fiber for the whole can!).

Good way to jazz up meat and veggies.

Also good to remember you're allowed half an avocado, a couple tablespoons of sour cream, and black olives on induction. Toss those with some chopped tomato, a little cheddar cheese, and ground beef and you've got taco-less tacos, yum! Good on a bed of lettuce or in a bowl. OWL-ers can enjoy on an LC tortilla as well.

Just a couple of ideas. Did you see the 101 Hamburgers thread? That's a huge list of ground beef fun too. :)

tholian8 Sat, Jul-19-03 02:56

Here's one I used a lot on induction. It's fast, easy and tastes great.

MUSTARD VINEGAR CHICKEN

2 chicken breast halves
4 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 Tablespoons best-quality olive oil
3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper

1. Set oven rack so it is about 5" from the broiler (if applicable, but don't worry if you can't adjust--it will still work). Preheat broiler.

2. Pound the chicken breasts until they are approximately the same thickness. Salt and pepper them to taste. Place the chicken in a sturdy dish--make sure the dish is OK for broiling though!

3. Whisk together the mustard, oil and vinegar, and immediately pour over the chicken.

4. Broil for 8 minutes.

5. Turn the chicken over and baste with the cooking juices. They will have curdled by this time.

6. Broil for another 8 minutes.

I used to serve this over my 2 cups of salad. The cooking sauce made a great dressing.

Emily

geo53562 Sat, Jul-19-03 03:57

Easy Roast Chicken

Makes 2-4 servings.
Avg. 2 carbs/chicken piece (w/skin)
Avg. 1 carb/chicken piece (skinless)

This is an easy recipe that tastes great. If you want to substitute "Italian Seasoning" for the Oregano & Basil, that will work, too. Chicken pieces should be golden brown when done...check a few minutes before the timer says it should be ready, as oven cooking times can vary.

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs. Cut up Fryer pieces
1/4-1/3 Cup Virgin Olive oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Directions:
1 - Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C)
2 - Rinse shicken thoroughly under cold running water. Remove skin if desired, or leave it on. Pat dry with paper towels.
3 - Put chicken pieces into small baking pan. Rub with olive oil. Mix spices together and sprinkle over chicken.
4 - Roast chicken in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) and roast until done (about 25 minutes more for 2 lbs. chicken parts/40 minutes longer for 3 lbs.) Let cool for 10-15 minutes and serve.

Meal Suggestions-
Salad:
Serve with iceberg lettuce salad, oil/vinegar dressing. (1 Cup = 4 Carbs)

Side Dishes:
1 - Side of French-Style Green Beans in Butter (4oz = 4 Carbs)
or
2 - Side of Sliced Mushrooms Sauteed in Butter (4oz = 4 Carbs)

Dessert:
Sorry, not on Induction

geo53562 Sat, Jul-19-03 04:48

Here's another, for those who are sick of chicken and burgers.

Grilled Pork Chops with Chive Cream
Pork chops are pan seared then broiled and served with a chive cream sauce. Recipe makes 4 servings. Each serving is about 4.5 Carbs.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 shallots, crushed
3 pounds pork chops (4 large chops)

CHIVE CREAM:
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 cup minced chives

Directions
1 In a shallow pan, stir together oil, salt, pepper, and shallots. Place pork chops in pan, coat with marinade on both sides, and let rest for 15 to 30 minutes.

2 Chive Cream: In a small saucepan over medium heat, place cream and lemon extract. Simmer until reduced by about one third; keep warm over low heat. Just before serving, season with salt and pepper, then stir chives into warm cream sauce.

3 Preheat broiler. Place pork chops under broiler, about 4 inches from heat, and cook until browned on one side (about 4 minutes). Turn and cook second side until lightly browned and slightly firm. Serve chops immediately, drizzled with Chive Cream.

randisue Sat, Jul-19-03 08:58

This is helpful, thanks. I'd sure like some more input though.

Skamita: Sure liked your post re:stir fry. I'm going to run with that one!!

JannyB Mon, Jul-21-03 22:18

Here are a few of my favorites....

Stuffed Mushrooms

6-8 Large mushrooms
Clean and pull out stems (set aside for use)
Melt 1/4 - 1/3 c butter
Add some minced garlic to taste
Add in about 1 c shredded parmesan cheese
Chop the mushroom stems, and add to butter,garlic cheese, mixture
Stuff mixture back into mushrooms
Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes

Probably 1.5 - 2 carbs per mushroom

Coleslaw

1lb bag of shredded cabbage
1 cup mayonnaise
2 T white vinegar
2 pkg. sweet-n-low or equal (amount should be = to 2T sugar)
2 tsp. celery seed

Mix together - refrigerate. Probably about 4 carbs per cup.
Also good with chopped celery, red onion, green pepper, etc
Add small shrimp - yummy!

Broccoli Salad

3-4 medium heads of broccoli
1 cup chopped celery
2-3 sliced green onions
1/2 - 3/4 c shredded cheese
1/2 c bacon bits
1 cup mayonnaise
2 T white vinegar
2 pks sweet-n-low
salt & pepper to taste

Refrigerate well. Probably about 5 or 6 carbs per cup.

Stir Fried Veggies (good as a side dish to chicken or pork)

1/2 head cabbage
2-3 stalks sliced celery
1 medium onion, sliced
2T sesame oil
Soy sauce

Heat oil in pan, add all ingredients to pan, stir fry until tender-crisp, add a few dashes of soy sauce for flavor. You could add sesame seeds also.

Probably about 4 carbs per cup

As you can see I am only guessing carbs here. I know that I figured it out accurately at one point, but I don't always measure when I cook, so I just go by what I remember calculating based on a serving size of one cup.

Hope this helps!

JannyB

randisue Wed, Jul-23-03 11:33

Thanks everyone for your wonderful ideas. I have written many of them down and will be using them on a a regular basis.