Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins Vs Stomach Staple (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=103679)

Just Dave Wed, May-07-03 04:15

Atkins Vs Stomach Staple

I have a good friend at work who first explained atkins to me years ago. He was a good man, but very big in a tall sort of way. He was six feet seven inches tall, very wide shoulders, big powerful hands and thick limbed. He had a very quiet nice disposition and kind. He was doing Atkins with me for a while at the same time. He was quick to smile and had a good ear for listening. He had a belly, but I would not have called him Obese in my private terms of the word.

About a year ago, he inform me he was going to have his stomach stapled, and that his doctor recomended it might be for the best as he keeps failing at sticking to a diet. He told me all about it, just like he sold me on the concepts of Atkins. He had the surgury done, and was out for quite a while.

When I saw him next he was already allot thinner, sitting in his enourmous frame in chairs that always look to small for him reading this instruction book/pamflet on what and how to eat. He was eating his lunch from a custard cup. A ground pulp of protein shake and some kind of pudding. Exacly one ounce, the size of his stomach now. I asked him how he was, and how it went, he smiled and said okay, but went over some of the difficulties which sounded horrible to me but I guess they are the run of the course when you do this.

As the months went by, the weight just kept comming off, he looked really good. then more months went by, and he still looked good but something seemed amis. I saw him the other day, and everyone seemed so proud of him, He Can't weigh more than a 180lbs. I don't think he looks good anymore, though I don't tell him out of kindness, I think he looks like a very tall sad scarecrow. He doesn't look powerful anymore, he looks sickly, though I am the only one who seems to think so, as the thinner people seem ever so proud he has joined their ranks.

Another fellow at work I am aquainted with and was a friend of this frist fellow just came back from a long vacation early this winter. I found him eating out of the same custard cup eating the same kind of goup. He is loosing weight hand over foot, and now is very very thin. The skin on his face just hangs there, because he lost so fast.

I keep all comments to myself of course, But I feel so bad for my freinds, to do such a horrible things to there bodies for acceptance. This stupid idea that its better to do this to yourself than be overwieght because overweight has its own health risks is really far fetched. Unless someone was extremely overweight, and coudn't even stand on there own two feet I might understand, but this surgery boarders on criminal. They have to live like that for the rest of there lives, and though I know it was there choice, and I wish them well, I feel so sad for them.

So as your doing your diet, and see the small gains and it seems to be taking forever, remember its supposed to, loosing weight real fast has its attractions, but in the end....well I wish you could see what I see and you would understand. My friend doesn't smile as much as he used to, but I can tell he finally feels he has one his battle with weight...but at what costs...

I read in the paper the other night that one in two hundred die from the surgury, 30% have life threatning complications and 50% just complications. Thats horrible odds in my opinion.. THis surgury is getting more popular.

Its my opinion that weight loss is a matter of education only, if you understand, then loosing is just a matter of time. Its not about insane exercise about sacrafice. Its just about knowing how food works.. I will be on Atkins most likely for my life to stay in weight, and its not doubt It will take me years to reach where im going, but I am willing to wait..

yvonne326 Wed, May-07-03 04:41

OK, this is my opinon about Stomach Stapling vs. dieting (of any kind).

It is a cop out for 75% of those people. Its the "I wanna do it quickly with the least amount of effort" syndrome. Granted, some people benefit from it and some should have it done but many of those having it done just to me use this as a "quick fix". And the problem is that they (the medical community) are making it too easy for people to get this done. The media sure is pushing it too...every news show has this "topic" at some time...great marketing :confused:

It is still surgery....it is very risky....and I think some people forget about that.

MaryToU Wed, May-07-03 05:24

Dave,

My older sister is going to have the surgery done this summer. It a hard thing, because I don't know where I stand. Every year she is bigger and bigger. At the age of 41 she already had a small stroke. IF nothing is done, I fear for how long she will be around. On a 5'1" frame, she is well over 300 lb.. I don't think she would ever tell me how much she weighs. She had done diet after diet and the loose is so slow that she never stay with them.

When I finally tired Atkins almost 3 months ago, I talked to her about it. I was losing good, and find this style very easy to stick with. But she says that she hate meat, so it wouldn't work. On this point I have to agree with Yvonne, she is choosing the "quick fix". But I cannot say that I would not chose the same in her case. Had to not like the idea of someone else taking care of the problem for you.

I am just glad that I tried this lifestyle and it is working so good for me! I have way to many benefits for it to see myself slipping back into old patterns. For one, I use to get bad sinus headaches everyday before switching to Atkins. Found out I had food allergies I always though were from other sources! Now I can easily tell when I have been bad! :D

Lisa N Wed, May-07-03 05:40

One of my co-workers was telling me just yesterday that her cousin had this surgery done and lost 90 pounds. Then she gained it all back. Sad to have gone through all that only to find herself right back where she started because the "fix" didn't teach her anything about making wise food choices and how to keep it off. :(

MsJinx Wed, May-07-03 06:05

The one experience that I have had with someone who had her stomach stapled was that she did have complications but is glad the weight is coming off. I really believe that when a person starts getting up into a super high weight for their body (this woman could barely get around and was constantly having someone else do EVERYTHING for her) and stays there for decades, that this might be the only sorry option.

I firmly believe that there is something going on either physiologically or psychologically that allows someone to gain so much weight. This woman was very sweet, outgoing, but just could not, for whatever reason, stop eating. At some point, what do you do? She is too large to hold her new grandbaby. Insurance won't pay for long-term psycho therapy to address what underlying problems may exist. I also wonder how these same folks magically change to where they can and do only eat an ounce at a time - this just doesn't make sense. The woman I knew seemed to eat much more than that. Seems to me that folks unable to stop eating so much could really damage themselves with binges.

I think that any of us who have felt the hurt of being rejected by society due to being overweight can sympathize with anyone who would take such drastic measures. I think it's very sad but I would never call serious and permanent mutilation of one's body a "cop out." No disprect Yvonne :) .

Have a great day you thoughtful sweeties.
Jinx

motis Wed, May-07-03 06:37

I seriously considered this surgery when I was at my heaviest point. I only thank God that I found Atkins and saved myself.

It's a hard thing to try diet after diet and fail miserably. It's a desperate and hopeless feeling to not control your eating. I no longer agree with the surgery, but I understand the mentality of wanting to have it done.

I read the diary of someone who had gotten the sugery about 6 months ago. She had the best of recoveries as far as the bypass goes, but there were such greusome side effects that will be with her for life. Even under the most perfect of circumstances, there are still some horrible lifetime effects that come along with it.

There is no "cheating" on the sugery. On LC, if you choose to have a donut a few months down the line it's not going to hurt much. On bypass, if you decide to have a donut, it could make you violently ill for hours. And that's for life. It's simply not worth it in my eyes.

~Angi~

whyspers Wed, May-07-03 06:53

I absolutely do not agree that stomach stapling is a cop out. In order to qualify for the surgery one must be at least 100 lbs. overweight, or be severely obese with other co-morbities. I looked into this, but never weighed enough to have it done.

The majority of the people who have this surgery done are doing it to save their lives. The risks are huge and the process horrendous from all I have researched. For most...this is the last option after years and years of trying other alternatives. In order to be successful with this surgery, they must forever eat out of the "custard cup". Now does this really sound like someone who is copping out? Would you eat mush for the rest of your life in order to be thin? Now ask yourself...would you eat mush for the rest of your life to save your life?

Don't forget...not everyone has heard of Atkins and not everyone is a maverick willing to do their own research regarding the low carb lifestyle. For how many years has this diet/woe been villified??? My neighbor, who recently began a low carb diet (not Atkins as yet although she is going to read my book after not getting the results she wanted doing general low carb (with milk apparently), said in her college courses they were taught how dangerous low carb is. Her first words to me were something along the lines of "its not good for you and its dangerous, but it works".

This is not a flame, but the statement that it is a cop out bothers me. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you start making comments like this, please.

Yes...it is getting to be very popular, but it has saved the lives of many people.

All that being said, I have read where some who do the surgery end up also doing Atkins or another low carb plan. I hope no one here has had it done and had to read about how they "copped out".

Laura

BarbCA Wed, May-07-03 07:03

I'm having to deal with a similar situation in my own family. My second daughter is very obese. She won't tell me what she weighs but I know it's probably around 250 or more. She has Rheumatoid Arthritis, Graves disease that's out of control, Fibromyalgia and Clinical Depression.
Also 4 kids, three of whom are teens that are driving her up the wall and an alcoholic husband.
She is on Prednisone and antidepressants so it is almost impossible for her to lose. She tried Atkins and couldn't stick with it for a week.
She heard about Duodonal Switch which is a newer weight loss surgery. It is supposed to have less side effects than stapling or by-pass. Her Endocrinologist seems to think it's OK for her to do this if the insurance will cover it.
I know she has a lot of problems besides the obesity but I really hope she reconsiders. I think using surgery for weight loss is very dangerous.
I have tried to talk her out of this but so far with no result so all I can do is support her if this is her choice.

fairchild Wed, May-07-03 07:16

2 pennies

Felt a need to add 2 pennies because I have as of late been reading health news -ever since I went Atkins actually I suddenly really care more about my health than anything else go figure :angel:
More than anything this plan has revitalized how much I care about myself, something I probably needed to do in regards to my life. That is a beautiful thing, but I am lucky. I was not yet 'obese' but looking at the definition I have worries that I was close to getting there as I put on the weight quickly over a cold winter.
Having your stomach operated on is a very last ditch effort to save the life of someone who is classified as morbidly obese- that is 100 pounds over ideal weight.
That is what a Dr faces when they have a patient who is more likely to die of being overweight than die of the surgical proceedure. We are blessed with Drs that must act in our best interests, and to live in a country that has such medicine available to the not so rich.
If you question why a Dr would go to such lenghths to treat a patient with this surgery which so diminishes the quality of life of that individual in regards to eating, look at this article from yesterdays New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/06/h...ion/06BROD.html
Title Major Study Erases Doubt on Link Between Excess Weight and Cancer

There is an excellent graph that shows exactly what weight level produces what likelihood of getting cancers of each type.
People who smoked were LESS likely to get these cancers than overweight people !!
This is what a Dr is faced with. More importantly what a patient is faced with when they are morbidly obese. Eating out of a custard cup beats being fed through a tube or IV.

I have no fears that this will become a trendy surgery. A Dr. would be faced with malpractice if they performed it without it being absolutely necessary.

When it comes to being morbidly obese if a 'diet' doesnt reduce that level within a short amount of time to just obese, then drastic measures are necessary.

Thats my two cents !

gary Wed, May-07-03 07:55

I'm too thin!

I have a friend who just had 1/2 of his stomach taken out - not just for weight loss. They got a polyp, small spot of cancer and an ulcer - also removed portion for weight loss. Just the other day I found out his Doctor laughed at him because he is gaining weight. This guy just can't understand he is eating to much. All he wants is a magic pill. He tried that fat blocking pill. Now he is looking into another gimmick. Does not want to change his eating pattern.

As far as how thin people look - I get that all the time. Most people like my new thinness. Some people say disparaging remarks like are you still losing you look thin and unhealthy. I have to show them I still have a beer belly! And those people are usually well overweight that make the remarks. There is a perception problem that what is typical is that a middle aged man should have a beer belly. If you don't then you look unhealthy.

Zora Wed, May-07-03 11:10

A good girlfriend of mine had the bypass surgery in October of last year. When she went in, she was 27 years old and almost 400 lbs. She has now lost 100lbs (and still losing) and looks great. She is always smiling and feels this is the best thing she could have done. She has had no complications thus far and her scarring is minimal.
I also considered it last year and talked to my doctor about it. I was so tired of being fat and failing at dieting. But, the fact is, I was scared to have my body intruded upon that way and have my insides rearranged. Atkins is my last hope - and so far so good. I am mentally ready to finally get this weight off once and for all.
Thanks to everyone on this forum. Although I lurk a lot, and post a small bit, I read all the posts and have learned so much. Everyone is so supportive.

Pssstttt.. I got a pair of pants on today that I haven't worn for a year! I get weighed again on Thursday and I'm excited to see how much I lost this week. :)

orzabelle Wed, May-07-03 11:47

Hey Whyspers, I couldn't agree with you more. Just as it is hard for someone who has never had a weight problem at all to understand why someone overeats and gains weight (and I know people like this who for the life of them can't understand the urge), those who have never had a life-threatening weight problem can't always understand the feeling of absolute powerlessness that accompanies it.

I have a sister, too, who is morbidly obese. She would never tell me what she weighs, but it has to be at least 300 lbs, and she is only 5'4. She once lost 60 lbs. on Atkins, but stayed on Induction the whole time, don't think she took suppliments, and stopped when her hair began to fall out. Of course, she gained it all back. I can't imagine what a terrible feeling that must be. To her, getting to a healthy (even just healthier - 200 lbs. would be a fantastic improvement) weight probably seems impossible. If she were to consider this surgery, I would support her all the way - but with caution, of course. I am pretty convinced that she is not going to lose weight on her own until something drastic happens with her health, but in the meantime, she is an ostrich (head in the dirt - denial) about her weight. I would not think she would be copping out at all if she had a medical procedure like stomach surgery. Some people have the drive and belief in themselves to lose weight on their own, just like some have the drive to run marathons, etc. She does not. She has drive for other things, but absolutely can't visualize herself losing weight. That is sad, but true, and I think the only thing that might help with her confidence/drive is psychotherapy - long term - which she is not covered for and can't afford.

LCBarbara Wed, May-07-03 12:42

Doctors in the U.S. do not get much, if any, nutritional education in school. They tell people to lose weight, but cannot really give them good guidance. A person will have to research and find answers on their own in many cases. For example, how many of us told our doctors about LCing vs. them recommending it to us as a way to lose weight? I'll bet a very small percentage of us had medical guidance to reach the LC way.

Doctors will more than likely intervene, well, medically. Throw a pill at it or cut out the problem. For example, when I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease, my gastroenterologist never told me anything about diet modification. He had no problem writing Rx's for steriods though. I gained a lot of weight on those. When I finally got sick of taking them, I started researching a carbohydrate diet that helps alot of Crohnies. That's when I also decided to investigate Atkins.

Tell a doctor you can't lose weight and they will tell you to exercise more or cut back on calories, maybe give you a diet pill that will be pulled of the market in 6 months if it doesn't kill you first. Or if you qualify, they may send you to a surgeon who will do gastric bypass surgery.

This disease of obesity is as much psychological as it is physical. Someone with a food addiction cannot simply stop eating. An alcoholic can stop consuming alcohol, but a food addict still has to eat to live. Behavior modification in my experience should be the first line of defense for people who are battling obesity.

I don't blame people for opting for the surgery. I have personally felt desperate enough myself to think about gaining enough weight to qualify for it. In many cases, they just don't see any other way and their doctors can't/won't help them. But as has been said, in the long run, unless they change their behavior, even that may fail to work for them.

Pugzilla Wed, May-07-03 15:04

I have very seriously considered getting surgery myself, but decided to do Atkins as a last effort before resorting to it. I am aware of the risks and the side effects and would definitely wish to avoid them if there is any other possible alternative. The desperation, depression and isolation one feels as a result of being obese cannot be understated. I felt like I was dying, and I probably was. If surgery is the only way I could save my life, then so be it.

However, I am glad I tried Atkins. Although I am losing more slowly than I'd hoped, I feel so much better that it is like night and day. I used to wake feeling tired, nauseous, and there was just no "spark". I NEVER felt good. After 4 1/2 weeks on Atkins, I actually wake up feeling rested and I feel good during the day. I have begun to really care about myself and my health. I have started Curves and I actually love going. I even feel like exercising and look forward to it, whereas before I was so exhausted and fatigued that it was all I could do to drag myself through the workday and get home to rest on the couch until it was time for bed (where I suffered from lack of restful sleep).

I feel so much better on this plan that I have decided to stick with it for at least the next 6 months before I consider whether surgery will still be needed. At this point, I can see Atkins as a WOL, and I am planning to continue this WOE for a lifetime (maintanance once I reach my goal).

I know that this way it will take much longer to reach my goal than it would if I had the surgery, but it will be worth it if it works. I know that surgery is still an option if all else fails. But I would never turn to it lightly or out of "laziness".

HollyM_WA Wed, May-07-03 15:13

My MIL had it done 8y ago. She lost alot of weight that first year. I have no idea how much she weighed--but I think well over 300#. She still can only eat small portions-----but you know---it doesn't change the eating habits!!! She was just here a few weeks ago (before I started Atkins) and I gained 5 lbs while she was here. She eats donuts, candy, cookies---as meals!! She really hasn't lost much more weight after that intital first year. She's "looks" somewhere in the low 200's. I know she lost at least 100#---but I can see her gaining it back the way she eats.

I understand the surgery for medical reasons and that some people don't have the "time" (life or death) situations to lose weight by diet/exercise. But it really doesn't change your eating habits.

Holly