Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Good Housekeeping - anti Atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=121543)

etoiles Wed, Jul-09-03 17:01

Good Housekeeping - anti Atkins

I just recieved the August issue of Good Housekeeping in the mail. I was interested when I saw an article about 'good fats' in their magazine, and was hoping maybe they had some new ideas of things I could eat on Atkins.

it turns out that they did not really have any positive comments to make about Atkins and the Atkins part of the article goes as follows:

"People who follow this diet (Atkins) can eat virtually unlimited amounts of red meat, butter, bacon, eggs, and other fatty animal foods. But they must strictly limit such carbohydrates as bread, pasta, potatoes, sweets, most fruits, and many vegetables. And they do drop pounds. "The diet radically restricts the range of foods you can eat, so you naturally end up eating fewer calories," says Paula A. Quatromoni, R.D., an assistant professor of nutrition at Boston University. Many people also lower their cholesterol when they start out on the Atkins diet. But the Fleming Heart and Health Institute, in Omaha, Nebraska, has found that cholesterol levels start to creep up after people have been on the diet for about three months. Finally, the diet is low in fruits and vegetables - important sources of cancer-preventing antioxidants and fiber - which also concerns experts."

Well I must say that I agree with them 100%. I eat so few vegetables and fruits, especially being a VEGETARIAN!!! :lol: And the reason that I am eating fewer calories is really because my diet is SO restricted. Between the almond cake with lemon curd icing for breakfast and green bean, blue cheese and pecan salad for lunch I am just DYING of bordom here. :rolleyes:

Lessara Wed, Jul-09-03 17:08

I hear you! I just can't imagine not having two or more servings of veggies while before my Atkins days I might have a serving of veggies once a week! I have to admit though, low carbing can be limited, just like a low fat diet actually, if you aren't willing to try new foods. Any diet can be limited if you only like a few things. ;)

FionaMcB Wed, Jul-09-03 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoiles
"The diet radically restricts the range of foods you can eat, so you naturally end up eating fewer calories," says Paula A. Quatromoni, R.D., an assistant professor of nutrition at Boston University.

Yet ANOTHER dietician who doesn't know what she is talking about. :rolleyes:

cc48510 Wed, Jul-09-03 20:40

I must be doing it wrong...I'm eating 8-10 cups of green veggies a day.

Lacey O Wed, Jul-09-03 21:35

you can have as many green veggies as you want as long as you don't go over 20 carbs in induction and as you move on it will be the same. I'm losing slowly, but they say that is the best way. good luck