Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Newbies' Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Question about Cream Cheese (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=70940)

Karina Fri, Nov-15-02 21:02

Question about Cream Cheese

Just wanted to know which kind of cream cheese you guys are talking about :confused: ....cause I want to make sure it is the same ones we have here.....I love cream cheese but I have been staying away as I thought it might have a lot of hidden carbs....

I hope to hear from you

Karina

:)

RCFletcher Sat, Nov-16-02 03:56

G'day Karina!

There ar epeople from many different countries on this board so probably the cream cheeses vary a bit. The one you buy here is sort of whitish and a bit squidgy. You'd call it cottage cheese in England. It does have carbs and they are not hidden. It is about 2g of carbs per 100g so don't overdo it! There are lower cheeses. Brie is the lowest if my memory serves me right.

If you go to the carbohydrate counter on the right hand side and type in cheese it will give you a long list of different types in order with their carb counts.

Hope this helps,

Robert :wave:

Karina Sat, Nov-16-02 05:54

Thanks

Hi Robert,

Thanks for that information....sounds like the same kind of cream cheese we have here....will take it easy though....once again thanks! :D
Karina
:wave:

Lisa N Sat, Nov-16-02 07:03

The cream cheese that we generally refer to is the type that you would use to make a cheesecake. As Robert said, it does have some carbs, but they are not hidden. The kind that I use has 1 gram per ounce (2 tablespoons). HTH

Talon Sat, Nov-16-02 08:09

Cream cheese here in the US is smooth, solid, and white, but spreadable. Cottage cheese here in the US is lumpy and loose and white, and spoons out of a container.

Karina Sat, Nov-16-02 16:14

Thanks so much

Thanks everyone for your replies....the cream cheese we have here which is yummoo :daze: is white but squidy looking and it is spreadable like margarine.....I guess the one u are talking about Talon is the one we would call our philadelphia cheese which is solid but spreadable and actually u make cheesecake with....so I guess that is the one I should be able to have.

I really appreciate all your help....I have just began this again and I seem to be going ok....so all the help I can get really helps.....once again THANK YOU

Karina

:bhug:

Talon Sun, Nov-17-02 07:19

Quote:
philadelphia cheese

Yep, that is it!

damaraq Sun, Nov-17-02 16:11

Hi there,

I noticed that my store brand cream cheeses have more carbs than Philadelphia, so I stick with the Philadelphia brand. Sometimes it is slightly higher in price (20 cents usually in my area) but the taste and less carbs more than make up for the pennies saved.

Good luck

wimsey619 Mon, Nov-18-02 15:41

Philadelphia cream cheese :D

It's really good. I had a snack today of two ounces cream cheese, one teaspoon unsweetened cocoa, and a tablespoon DaVinci SF chocolate syrup. It was very good. Tasted like chocolate cheesecake.

Cream cheese is also good with SF jello.

DWRolfe Mon, Nov-18-02 16:25

Cream cheese...

Cream Cheese rocks!

Donald :wave:

onyx Mon, Nov-18-02 22:11

dumb question

I love cream cheese but what can you put it on?? I end up eating ritz which we all know is NOT low carb! Esp. when you can't stop eating the darn things :(

melissa07 Mon, Nov-18-02 23:35

I put it on celery, there is also an awesome recipe on the forum for a "mock danish" that uses cream cheese....yum!

maggimae Tue, Nov-19-02 01:13

cream cheese

i put it on the celery too but also on the right kinds of thin lunch meat and roll them up and slice them you have perfect little snacks to go along with your dill pickle. enjoy

sam59 Tue, Nov-19-02 09:18

cream cheese ideas..

I chop up a few olives and mix with cream cheese, spread it on deli sliced ham or smoked turkey and roll up....one of my favorite breakfasts.

Also, along the celery line....I stuff them with cream cheese mixed with grated cheddar. Is my sub for cheez whiz.

For a nice snack mix cream cheese with some minced green onion and stuff mushroom caps, put a piece of pepperoni on top and put in the oven.

Sam

onyx Tue, Nov-19-02 10:16

great ideas!

I would never have thought of putting it on lunch meats! Thanks for the ideas.