Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   i FEEL like i'm cheating (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=178106)

el123 Sun, Apr-11-04 18:48

i FEEL like i'm cheating

My problem is that when I eat something not induction level, it feels like cheating. I want to try new things- berries, more nuts, etc. But even peanut butter feels like cheating (even though I still seem to be losing). I feel guilty for even a tablespoon. With the ease of fluctuation I experience on this plan, I am just SO scared to eat a little above the alloted amount.

This whole low glycemic index thing is throwing me off... I want to try a tortilla or something! And I know they only have about 3 carbs. I see that. But if the ingredients in the tortilla are high on the glycemic index, won't they spike your blood sugar a lot? Even though they say 3, couldn't they do more damage than you'd think?

potatofree Sun, Apr-11-04 18:55

The low-carb tortillas aren't that high on the GI, as far as I know. The fiber in them as well as the protein and fat in the foods you'd eat WITH them would slow absorption even more. It's not like eating a plain white-flour tortilla with nothing else.... :)

You're getting pretty close to goal, so you need to be building on your carb level and adding some variety like the berries and such, since they have valuable nutrients for your body. I can understand that it's shaky leaving your comfort zone of induction, but it really IS okay! Reviewing the chapters pertaining to OWL might give you some added reassurance until you don't feel so nervous.

Hang in there!

Britgrl Sun, Apr-11-04 20:13

Hey EL123,
Dont worry, your not alone! I feel the same way. I'm losing great right now but I feel so scared moving onto OWL as I feel I will start to gain it all back ...but in reality I know this isnt true. If I could only convince myself this! Once I reach my mini goal, which is 120, I will move onto more maintaining and not worry so much about losing.

JustAGirl Sun, Apr-11-04 22:34

i think you're smart for sticking to more natural foods. and Great job so far!! :)

PecanPie Mon, Apr-12-04 10:36

Hi - I understand this and what I think the real issue is that I still treat food as the enemy - when of course that is not the case. My goal for this WOL is to get to a point where food does for me what it should do rather than serving as substitutes for feelings - you know, bored=eat, sad=eat, happy=eat etc. etc. Having used food unknowingly this way for years I know I will always have to be mindful of its hold, I just hope to get to a point where control is less of a workout!

Personally, the first time I ate vegetables and sauteed them then put butter on them they were wonderful, but in the back of my mind I kept having to say this is okay, this is okay, it is okay for food to taste great and be good for you...

Hang in there - keep a journal and you will be surprised at what you learn about yourself.

pecanpie