Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   No veggies= loss? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=154242)

bigdaddi Tue, Dec-16-03 14:05

No veggies= loss?

I mentioned in another thread that I had went to eggs and bacon only diet for a while. part because I was in a stall so I decided to do away with anything that could be causing it and maybe moreso because I was broke and went to the grocery store and thats all I could afford, anyway I have been loosing about a lb every other day since I've been doing so. I Know some people were getting on me for not eating my veggies but at this rate I'm thinking about warding them off for good if I keep loosing like this. What do you all think?

nitrovixen Tue, Dec-16-03 14:10

hmm. well, doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.. Don't let weight loss take precedence over health!

potatofree Tue, Dec-16-03 14:24

Honestly, I think it's not the best idea. You may lose faster, but at what cost down the road?

Nille Tue, Dec-16-03 14:24

Not a very good idea !

If you're having only bacon and eggs you're not following Atkins in any form. You might lose weight, but the weight will come back ! Guaranteed ! And it's very unhealthy as well...........

LadyBelle Tue, Dec-16-03 16:03

I don't even think you would lose weight faster. Some claim they do on stillmens or other all meat fasts. For me though if I skimp out on veggies I stop losing. Veggies are also a way to get full for very little carbs or calories.

There are also numerous health benifits to veggies including antioxidents, nutrients and other such. Supplimenting can help, but they can not make all substances ofund in nature in the lab yet, the body doesn't absorbe as well form suppliments as from diet, and occasionaly it is the certain combinations of nutrients that make them effective.

Do you really plan on eating nothing but eggs and bacon for the rest of your life? Once you hit goal you should of established good eating habits that include a wide range of foods. You can't go back to pizza, nachos and beer and expect the weight to stay off.

Rachelle Tue, Dec-16-03 16:07

You need to eat your veggies.... They are what keeps you "going" and there are all the vitamins and benefits of veggies...

Just think of how boring your life would be withouth them.. EVER... Bacon and egg's will get old.. and then what happens when you would like to stop losing weight?? what will you add in? i think going by the book.. is the best possible plan.. and healthiest :)

RandiS Wed, Dec-17-03 23:07

I agree veggies are a good idea for any weight loss program however if you read the 1972 version of Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution (notice the word "new" is not in the title) written by Dr. Atkins himself, induction only had less then two cups of loosely packed salad a day for the two weeks. It was almost a no carb plan then he suggest to add 5 grams of carbs in each week coming from veggies.
I did the newer version for a year and was stall for 4 months. I have recently got Dr. A's 1972 book and have re-inducted with that plan have lost 4 pounds in 5 days.
A lot of people tend to over do veggies, they forget that its 2 cups of salad and 1 cup of other veggies per day and that is during ongoing weight loss phase.
I see nothing wrong with getting yourself into deep ketosis for a days or weeks by omitting veggies.
Dr. Atkins had the book right the first time around!
If you have the newer book , you may want to look into getting the older version and giving it a shot the very basic ol' timers way.

potatofree Wed, Dec-17-03 23:16

...and since 1972, understanding of long-term health benefits and risks has likely come a little way?