Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   My face is breaking out?? Could it be the fat? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=96313)

lowcarbabe Wed, Apr-02-03 19:52

My face is breaking out?? Could it be the fat?

Okay I'm on day 3 of induction and my face is looking bumpy..I mean I'm breaking out in the chin areas and I'm wondering if this happened to anybody else with sensitive skin? I have had a low-fat diet forever and my body is definitely not used to high fat foods. I'm not too worried but I hope it doesn't last...

coolazchic Wed, Apr-02-03 19:53

Same thing happened to me. I am now on week 3 and it seems to be getting better.

Jones Wed, Apr-02-03 20:24

Me, too!

I'm half way through week 6 and my skin is trashed, raw, scaly patches all over. I've been trying everything I can think of to clear it up and haven't figured it out yet. I have such sensitive skin. I did read a thread here recently where several products were recommended. I've tried some of them to no avail.

My understanding is that with the weight loss, the fat cells release the estrogen they store and that increase in estrogen into the system is the cause of the breakouts. This is particularly true for those of us with sensitive skin.

If I find a solution, I'll post it.

Jones

Miss Melis Wed, Apr-02-03 21:07

THere are threads in here some where about this problem... and how maybe it is "toxins leaving your body"....??

My face actually cleared up on week 2 of induction....

But I cannot tell if it was that alone... that same week I started using Neutrogena Deep and Clear or Clean... every night... So I do not know which one was the answer...!

Keep up the good work!!

Take Care, :wave:
M-

lowcarbabe Wed, Apr-02-03 21:24

OH good I'm not alone! I started using phisohex tonight so I hope that helps. I can't really see any 'toxins' being released, it wasn't like I was living on drugs or crappy food. I really think it's the animal fat because I NEVER EVER have eaten animal fat. We'll just have to wait and see..thanks for the help!! Hey and we are all pretty close in weights and goal weights!!! :wave:

Alina Wed, Apr-02-03 22:00

Hi,

happened to me, too. THOSE ARE TOXINS so be glad they are leaving your body LOL Passed after about 4 weeks so hang on. Drinking 3 liter of water/day helped and I used SOS formula from Clinique.
Good luck! You are doing great!
a

Rosebud Wed, Apr-02-03 23:41

Quote:
the fat cells release the estrogen they store and that increase in estrogen into the system is the cause of the breakouts.

Yep, you're absolutely right, Jones.

It's not the fat you're eating, Lowcarbabe, it's your fat cells shrinking and releasing hormones.

Your skin will return to normal soon, as your body adjusts to low carbing. Meanwhile, try to look at eack li'l zit as a victory sign! :thup:

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

whyspers Thu, Apr-03-03 07:23

I saw someone on another forum post about this problem. My skin actually is better than it was before I started. My pores seems smaller and my skin feels very soft and healthy where before it was rather dry.

L

Kathy54 Thu, Apr-03-03 09:44

For me, it took til about the 2nd month before I saw changes in my complextion, and they arent nice ones either :eek:
It's starting to look a little better, but for a week or so, my face was very red and blotchy, small white heads, dry patches.
My son is on Accutane, and he said to me one morning, I think you need some too Mom! Yuck :mad:

Kathy

atiaran Thu, Apr-03-03 19:39

I have noticed this too - lots of red bumps around my hairline. I feel like I'm 13 again! Hope it does go away after another couple weeks.

Channah Fri, Apr-04-03 03:18

Thank you for this thread. I was getting worried, with a face that looks like I am 14 again! Glad to hear it passes.

gkeenan Fri, Apr-04-03 08:18

I've been doing this for 18 months and in the last four months my face has broken out like you wouldn't believe! I've NEVER had acne in my life! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it...nothing works!

Gail