Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   opposite constipation (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=152535)

bkseler Fri, Dec-05-03 15:09

opposite constipation

Funny that the previous thread was curing constipation. I was just going to ask about the opposite. I'm just glad no one can see how red my face is just thinking about asking for help on this. Before Thanksgiving I was following WOE no problem except severe diarrhea. I mean I need to go NOW diarrhea. During the week of Thanksgiving I ate as I wanted; low fat, rice and stuffing, pumpkin pie. During that week I had no problems, I fact I thought I was "cured". I have since gone back on very strictly WOE and the diarrhea has returned with a vengeance. Is this just the way lowcarbing works? I eat plenty of veggies and protein, have lost over 30lbs since Sept. 1st and generally feel great. Except for the 10 second dashes for the bathroom. I don't eat the low carb bars or anything else with "fake" sugars. For the most part I have cut out all sugars. And these mad dashes for the bathroom usually happen right after I eat. Thanks for any help or support anyone can give.

Hilary M Fri, Dec-05-03 15:14

Hmm...sometimes eating cheese will help me solve this problem. Maybe all the fiber from the veggies is moving things along extra-quickly, in your case.

verniebird Fri, Dec-05-03 15:14

Hi BKseler....I have the same problem. It seems to get worse when I eat eggs with a high fat meat (bacon or sausage). It does not happen to me everyday but when it does it is a bit unnerving. But I just let it pass and figure maybe I lost more weight, lol.

maryc Fri, Dec-05-03 15:27

Bacon can do that to me. I think it is the bacon grease that really does it. But then I have had so many probs being constipated that I sometimes eat some bacon to get it going again even though it gets it going really fast. hehe :)

Lisa N Fri, Dec-05-03 15:28

Any time you make a big change in your eating patterns, it can result in constipation OR diarrhea. Different people react different ways. Fortunately, the remedy for both is the same...more fiber. You can try plain psyllium husks in water, but I've never been able to get past the taste or texture of that stuff. Ground flax is a great way to add fiber to your diet and get some very healthy Omega 3 fatty acids in the bargain. There are also fiber caplets that you can take.
The good news is that it's usually only a temporary problem until your body readjusts to your new way of eating and will usually clear up on its own in a week or two. If not...try adding more fiber.
HTH! :)

mle_ii Fri, Dec-05-03 15:52

I agree with Lisa N on this. I had the same problem as you bkseler and I added fiber and ... no more running to the bathroom.

Depending on what I eat I take 1 or 2 Citrucel caplets during a meal. This was mainly when I was on induction. Once I was past induction and adding more carbs (which usally means more fiber) I no longer had to take the fiber as I got enough from my diet. Though if I had a meal that was low in fiber I would take 1 caplet.

Hope this helps.

Rosebud Fri, Dec-05-03 18:18

Yes, psyllium works well to fix both constipation and diarrhoea. It softens while adding bulk.

And you can get around the funky taste by adding a flavouring such as lemon juice to the water, or you can obtain it in capsule forum.

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Dewi Fri, Dec-05-03 19:40

BTDTand BT again, Its probably all the ruffage your eating. I found that If I eat 1/2 and Atkins bar or have Low Carb bread for lunch I'm ok. But I don't know what to say to you since you dont do the bars. Perhaps try the Citrucel advice.

hey_Neener Sat, Dec-06-03 02:26

Hey! You aren't alone! While I don't have diarrhea, my stools are fairly loose. I know what you mean about the 10 second dash. There's nothing like the sudden gurgle in the lower belly and the "Oh-my-God!" look that comes on my face while I race with my buns clenched to the bathroom. I swear many days I don't think I'll make it! The swing side is constipation. Sheesh. It's like my IBS without the gut pain! Increased greasy fats and LC candy are my triggers.
As for you having to go right after a meal, peristalsis kicks in about 15-20 minutes after you start eating and gets your intestines moving. Lesson to be learned until you master your problem: Never eat far from an acceptable toilet!

BlitzedAng Sat, Dec-06-03 07:09

Try Psillium husk caplets. I take 2 every morning :)

Slapfish Sat, Dec-06-03 07:18

Re:

I've had exactly the same problem. Almost constantly since I started. I have narrowed it down to the cause so it's under control for the most part.

I LOVE the Flax O Meal cereal, but I have to watch how much I eat. Every other day is max for me.

Pickled sausages. You know the kind in the jar with the red food coloring. Total junk food and YUMMY! Sometimes I get carried away and boy do I pay for it.

LC bars and others with sugar alcohols. I don't eat a lot of them, but every now and then eat too many and it causes trouble.

black57 Sat, Dec-06-03 12:23

I would blame the fats. The reason is because of an experience my dog had. The goofy thing ate almost the entire container of my sister' hair pomade, comparable to VO5. He got the runs for days. So maybe reducing your fat intake will help with your diarrhea problem.

It will all come out in the end.

Black57

PoofieD Sun, Dec-07-03 10:09

Quote:
Hey! You aren't alone! While I don't have diarrhea, my stools are fairly loose. I know what you mean about the 10 second dash. There's nothing like the sudden gurgle in the lower belly and the "Oh-my-God!" look that comes on my face while I race with my buns clenched to the bathroom

It rather funny, because your feeling just fine and then 'OOOPSIE!'.
To the suggestion to cut fat intake, I would say try to add the fiber first. Because cutting fats may or may not mean you gotta fill it with some other food type, because your hungry, and that might not be so good :-)
The other suggestion might be to take Enzymes. Its helped members of my family.

Mabel Mon, Dec-08-03 13:48

I just figured this WOE was irritating my IBS! This forum is so great! Now I have a potential cure-I'll add fiber! Thanks!

AJ_0001 Mon, Dec-08-03 14:08

OK, I went through this too, and to such a degree that I went to the doctor for blood, stool and lactose tolerance tests. Turns out I'm borderline lactose intolerant and the increased amounts of dairy I was consuming with this WOE brought it out full force, especially cheese. I have cut cheese almost completely from my diet and now things are fine. I had tried the psyllium and it made it worse, so be careful just in case - don't stray too far from home!

Good luck figuring it out - it took me almost 2 months of terrible tummy troubles before I found my solution.