Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   when will people notice? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=107353)

flangee Thu, May-22-03 11:15

when will people notice?

I lost 15 pounds in one month wich is totally awsome and I can really notice in my cloths and in the mirror! but how long befor others notice? i'm inpatient. :rolleyes:

fairchild Thu, May-22-03 11:22

Good for you !!

:thup:

I find that people are generally shy about commenting on your weight unless they know what you are up to.
Even when they do it is hard for folks who see you every day to notice.
It is hard but hang in there and you will get positive reactions from other people, but for now you will get them from me!
Hold up three 5 pound bags of sugar and say to yourself-I used to carry that around !

Congrats ! :cheer:

LCBarbara Thu, May-22-03 11:38

Everyone is different, both in how they carry their weight and if they will comment. It took 2 months before my DH said "I can tell you've lost weight."

Try not to rely so much on outside approval to feel good about yourself. You know that you are doing great and that should be enough. I understand that it 'feels good' to hear someone comment on your hard work. The downside of that is once you have lost the weight, people stop comments. If you are 'hooked' on the weight loss attention, that can spell trouble when you quit getting it.

BTW, you've lost weight, haven't you? :D

paradise Thu, May-22-03 13:27

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yippee on your weight loss!!!

As far as people noticing, I've been at this for ten months now and not one person (that I haven't told I'm trying to lose weight) has said anything about my weightloss. My husband, sister, BIL, SIL, and MIL all know and they've told me they see a difference. But be patient for the real rush when someone (who is completely unaware of your weightloss efforts) says something positive to you. It'll happen when you least expect it. Happy LCing!!!

Groggy60 Thu, May-22-03 13:37

I am still waiting for people to say something.

I am now look skinny instead of fat, and no one but my wife and my mother have said a word about it. You would think someone would be interested in how I did it, but then maybe they think I have cancer.

GramnGramp Thu, May-22-03 13:41

Everyone notices that my DH has lost weight (40 lbs).
It's pretty obvious with that much loss.

No one notices that I have lost. It's only 13 lbs, but my clothes do fit a lot looser now.

Guess I will have to lose a lot more before it is obvious.
I like feeling lighter and not stuffed all the time after meals.
So I guess that will satisfy me for now. :D

Am looking forward to buying smaller clothes-soon?-I hope!
Hang in there-they will notice in time.

stacy41230 Thu, May-22-03 13:45

Dont get discouraged. I lost 37 pounds before my husband commented on it. A few other people had noticed and commented and it made me feel great but not as good as it did when my husband finally said something about it. My mother in law even commented on it and she never says anything good about anybody. Dont worry if people say anything you know yourself that you feel better and look better. Most people are afraid to comment, afraid they may affend you in some way. Keep it up and they will notice.

good luck.

debmarjs Thu, May-22-03 13:46

I am now done 20 pounds and lots of people are noticing now. Makes me so happy when people say wow you look great!

Mandyjane2 Thu, May-22-03 14:08

I too have lost 15 lbs. in one month and my clothes are looser but like you, NOBODY HAS SAID A THING! lol Except my husband. Congrats to you on your loss! I guess we do like everyone has said, give it time. It'll happen.

Mandy

pbastian Thu, May-22-03 14:24

Another perspective

My parents started low-carbing in November (they were MY inspiration!) and they found that friends are hesitant to say anything - because they're afraid the dramatic weight loss may be due to a terrible illness! Quite the contrary :)

Paleoanth Thu, May-22-03 14:25

It took 25 pounds before anyone said anything to me.

Iowagirl Thu, May-22-03 14:26

Are you wearing the same stuff? Treat yourself to a new, smaller outfit !

But the important thing is, of course, that YOU know you're doing well. And so do we. ;)

flangee Thu, May-22-03 19:55

Thank you to every one and congrats on all your weight losses... it really lifted my spirits. I love this WOL and I love this forum :D

I am so excited to get into the one hundreds!

Thanks again guys :thup:

shannonlea Thu, May-22-03 20:17

Hello

I've lost 33lbs and not many say anything about it. I think people are funny about mentioning it. Some feel they'd be saying you were sooo big before if they say ,"Wow , you've dropped a lot of weight!" I still crave that acknowledgment at times,but then I think.. I AM PROUD OF ME!! So you know what? Who cares if they don't say it.. you know they see it! I've gone down 6 pant sizes who could not tell? lol Congrats to you and you're doing GREAT!!

Angelmommy Fri, May-23-03 04:17

Patience

The compliments will eventually come dont worry !!! Last year when I was on this diet it took about 30 lbs. of weight loss for people to start noticing.... then the compliments abounded. It will feel wonderful when it happens !

Traci