Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Keto breath (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=32403)

lesleyc Thu, Jan-31-02 13:48

Keto breath

There's been a bit of discussion about this subject, but I was interested to know how widespread it is.

I get a mild form of it - a kind of metallic taste in my mouth, but according to DH it doesn't give me bad breadth.

i welcome it - it is my little fat burning tester. When it is there I know I'm shrinking ;)

SO what's the consensus - don't have it at all, mild taste in mouth or full blown gag hold your nose here I come :eek:

Lesley

TerrieP Thu, Jan-31-02 14:05

Mild

Mine is mild too, but watch out if you don't drink enough water. You could kill someone with that dry mouth keto breath.

Keeping hydrated keeps mine stinkies away. :D

odinisgod Thu, Jan-31-02 14:48

I get it from cheese.

I seem to get it worst after I eat a couple of slices of cheese. That gross metallic taste in my mouth. Originally I thought it was bad cheese, so I changed brands, but the same gross aftertaste came back with a different brand.

That sucks because I used to love to eat cheese plain. Now I only eat it on my daily salad. :(

I also get a more milder version if I don't drink for about an hour after I eat dinner.

One good thing about ketone breath is that I now brush my teeth twice as much as I used to. :D

As long as I am losing weight, ketone breath is very livable.

lesleyc Thu, Jan-31-02 14:57

I know what you mean about the cheese!!

I's exactly the same for me. I just make sure I have something elso on hand to have after the bit of cheese.

Lesley

starchile Thu, Jan-31-02 16:57

Can we tell?

I'm glad you brought this up b/c I've been worried about this a lot lately. I am very self conscious about it but I can't really tell HOW bad it is or isn't. I don't have a significant other and I just moved to a new place so I haven't really developed friends that are close enough to ask something like that, you know? My job requires me to meet with several people all day long and I worry that I might be blasting them with dragon breath.

Besides the taste, is there a way to tell? I heard that b/c our noses get desensitized to the odor we can't tell as easily as someone else can.

Peace,
Tesia

rgarlough Fri, Feb-01-02 11:47

Ketone Breath?

I was wondering about ketone breath too. I've noticed that mine is tolerable as long as I keep drinking water. If I go for over 20 minutes without taking a sip or two of water, my mouth seems a bit foul. I haven't heard any complaints though either. :thup:

I use my keto breath as a sign that I'm still in ketosis. I tested myself yesterday with 31 grams of carbs and I'm allowed 25 now that I'm in my third week (I only signed on for 2 weeks of induction). Last night and this morning I still have keto breath. This mornings was enough to kill me.

I've noticed that a good sign of ketosis for me too is the water cravings. I feel constantly thirsty when I'm in ketosis.

I always drank a lot of water before but more out of habit not because I feel like I'm dying of thirst.

Oh, and I'm constantly dehydrated or something because even with constant lotion application, my humidifyer and all the water I drink, my skin is still way dryer than before I went on Atkins. I wonder if it'll ever go away.

Annie G.

PS - this forum thing is great! :D