Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Karen's Corner (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   How to cook with LC breading... (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=145467)

tenorGJ Tue, Oct-28-03 13:55

How to cook with LC breading...

Friends,

I'm ready to experiment with some LC breading options. I love pork rinds so naturally, I think I'll start off with that. Yes, I've read all of the books, but feel that real kitchen folk are the best guinnea pigs...

Say I want to fry some chicken tenders. Do I soak the chicken in cream or egg and dredge in the pork rind meal? Fry in an inch of canola oil over medium high heat until golden brown?

I have some almond flour left over after making the cake recipe over in the dessert section. Is it preferable? I also have Atkins bake mix in the pantry.

I'll be ever indebted...

Karen Wed, Oct-29-03 01:15

Quote:
Say I want to fry some chicken tenders. Do I soak the chicken in cream or egg and dredge in the pork rind meal? Fry in an inch of canola oil over medium high heat until golden brown?
The best "glue" to use is mayonnaise. You can add whatever seasinings you like to it instead of adding it to the breading. I usually bake instead of fry.

I've never even tried Atkins Bake mix so I don't know how it would work. But, I do add a bit of almond meal to pork rinds. Almond meal I find - well mealy :) - all by itself.

Karen

Froggiebro Wed, Oct-29-03 01:47

I use atkin's bake mix to fry EVERYTHING! First i season the meat (chicken breast, pork chop, veal cutlet, whatever) and then dip in a beaten egg and then roll in the bake mix and fry. REALLY REALLY GOOD! DH likes the chicken fried steak better with bake mix than when I made it before using flour.

Also, you can make your own "shake and bake" using half low carb bread crumbs ( I crumble in the food processor) and half grated parmesan cheese straight from the can. Just pour a bit of vegetable oil on a baking sheet and then season and egg the meat and roll in the crumb mixture. This produces a very crunchy result. SUPER!!

Froggiebro Wed, Oct-29-03 01:48

Beware!!! If you decide to use crushed pork rinds, make sure the temp is low because they burn quickly and smoke up the house.

tenorGJ Wed, Oct-29-03 08:22

Great replies!!! I'll try both the rinds and bake mix. I've been dreaming of some LC chicken fingers for weeks! Now that I've met most of my goal, I'm gonna give myself a treat. Here's hoping the Atkins ketchup is worth its price!

If ya'll would just double check my thoughts on the pan frying technique: I'll dredge the fingers in egg and then the breading. In a large frypan:

1. should I use canola, or another oil for frying
1a. how much oil? An inch in the pan?
2. how hot should the oil get before frying the tenders
3. cook how long--golden brown?

Thank you all for taking the time to help out a newbie...

Karen Wed, Oct-29-03 10:24

1/2-inch of oil should do for frying. If the oil is too hot the strips will burn so it's best to fry them until golden over medium heat then transfer to a baking sheet to finish the cooking in the oven. With something as small as a tender, it should only take about 10 minutes at 350F.

Never tried the Atkins ketchup but I've tried the Keto ketchup and it's good. Wasn't crazy about the Steele's. Too vegetal.

Karen