Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Upcoming surgery; soft food ideas? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=98870)

wordlady Tue, Apr-15-03 05:08

Upcoming surgery; soft food ideas?

Hi all :-)

There is such awesome brain power here. I have been so loyal, focused, and true to this WOE, and I don't want my mouth/chin surgery next week to be a set back. I'll be home recovering, and mostly immobile for a week or two.

I am making a list of the foods I can eat during this time, especially because I usually eat a lot of salads, and that just won't work; the Dr. says soft foods only.

So far, I'm thinking of the cauliflower casserole, protein shakes, soy milk, scrambled eggs with soft veggies cut up small, and.........um......that's about it.

I am following Atkins induction. I'm especially concerned because I have been going to the gym for an hour and a half every day, and when I don't I get REALLY hungry!!! I'm dreading being immobile and hungry. Any suggestions for soft foods that you have will be vastly appreciated.

thanks!
Ann

yvonne326 Tue, Apr-15-03 07:05

How about a nice chicken/veggie soup?

1 can (14 oz) chicken broth (low-sodium canned or make your own)
3/4-1 cup of veggies, cooked to soft - celery, green beans, cauliflower, zuchini (actually any legal veggie you like)
1/4 - 1/2 cup of shredded chicken/turkey

In small saucepan add all these together till just to boil. You can add some heavy cream to make "cream of chicken soup".

When I had a tummy virus and when I had dental surgery I ate this "concoction" - it was filling, totally legal and nothing feels like chicken soup :) :wave:

Kristine Tue, Apr-15-03 07:37

Ann, your ideas are right on the money. :thup: I can't think of much else...

- softened cream cheese
- tofu (boring, but it's soft. ;) )
- quiche

Yvonne's soup sounds good. I would actually toss it in a blender, to make it easier to eat. :)

If you do indeed have a blender, an icey berry shake would probably feel good on a sore mouth.

Hope everything goes smoothly; take care of yourself! :wave:

Skamito Tue, Apr-15-03 10:45

Sounds good so far. I also like to make egg drop soup with chicken broth and an egg scrambled in. Toss in some green onions and a bit of sesame oil and it's pretty durn good.

Mock danish. Bend the induction rules a little for soft cheeses, such as cottage? Perhaps you could puree some veggies like baby food. Sounds gross, but would be good for nutrition. I'll be pureed green beans and soft steamed broccoli may taste pretty good, especially mixed with melted butter. You probably want to make sure to have protein powder or shake mix in order to get it in with limitations on meat.

Good luck. I hope you recover quickly. :)

wordlady Tue, Apr-15-03 15:45

Wow! These are great ideas!!!

I'm keeping, and using them! Thank you!!

kiwilass Wed, Apr-16-03 20:01

..and low carb cheesecake (no crunchy crust!) to treat yourself in case you need to! (make it now and freeze slices) Hey, it's better than feeling sore, sorry for yourself and in need of something nice, and succumbing to chocolate, ice cream or worse! :roll:

S_Hysmith Wed, Apr-16-03 22:48

I'll add my thanks for the ideas as well! I'm having an endoscopy tomorrow and one of the things I've been told may happen is that I might not want to eat much in the way of solid hard-to-swallow foods for a day or so.

Never occurred to me to make mock danish. Thanks!

wordlady Thu, Apr-17-03 05:39

The cheesecake idea is a great one. I like the ones that are more firm; and there seemed to be quite a lot of them. Which of the firm ones do you guys like best?

Skamito Thu, Apr-17-03 08:32

You know what's a good soft food and a good treat: Ricotta cheese! If you need something chocolatey sweet, how's this for legal? :) P.S. I usually double this... it's so good.

1/4 cup whole milk ricotta
1/2 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder
1 packets Splenda

Nutritional Facts: (according to Fitday)
133 calories
10g fat
4g effective carbs
7g protein

You can make a healthier version of this using chocolate protein powder. :)