Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   I am LIVID!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=189356)

SFMOM Sat, Jun-05-04 10:47

I am LIVID!!!

So, i thought that i was being sooooo smart buying the Carb Options brand peanut butter & steak sauce last week! Yesterday while i was enjoying my steak, i decided to check out the ingredients on the back. Sugar & cornsyrup were listed among splenda!! What bloody nerve! I then checked out the peanut butter, yeah it may be made with splenda....but has hydrogenated oils!! Oh boy, i'm telling you all please read the labels before buying......talk about discouraging! I threw both out. Thanks for reading my rant. :rolleyes:

Lipid Sat, Jun-05-04 10:54

I agree...they have hydrogenated oil in many of their products.....they need to read the book before putting products out there that go against what low-carbers are supposed to eat.

The same goes with the sugar and corn syrup.... I never bought the peanut butter, but I did buy the steak sauce weeks ago and didn't read the ingredients and it made me mad too.

I use very little 'low-carb' products...mostly just ketchup once in awhile and Kraft now has low-carb salad dressings and I buy them and the Carb Options ones... this is just because they are lower carb that the regular kinds and I like the convenience of using bottled salad dressings.

PacNW Sat, Jun-05-04 11:07

Isn't Carb Options from Unilever? The make SlimFast, which is sugar in a can. So, blame yourself for buying such products.

SFMOM Sat, Jun-05-04 11:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW
Isn't Carb Options from Unilever? The make SlimFast, which is sugar in a can. So, blame yourself for buying such products.

Yep, Unilever! But for someone who has NEVER tried Slimfast, i would not have known. Why should i blame myself?????? :rolleyes:

eve25 Sat, Jun-05-04 11:27

Quote:

so basically youre saying that, because they make something with a lot of sugar, everything they make MUST have sugar????

PacNW Sat, Jun-05-04 11:27

You need to read the labels yourself and come to your own decisions. No one to do that for you.

Clearly, Unilever has zero interest in promoting the LC WOE; it is among the companies most hostile to the Atkins Nutritional approach. It suckered you in with the "Carb Options" name to make you think that it deserted its core business: selling sugar-in-a-can.

Quinadal Sat, Jun-05-04 11:36

Actually Carb Options is made by different companies (Lawry, Lipton, etc) and placed in the Carb options line.

SFMOM Sat, Jun-05-04 11:39

Quote:
You need to read the labels yourself and come to your own decisions. No one to do that for you.

Clearly, Unilever has zero interest in promoting the LC WOE; it is among the companies most hostile to the Atkins Nutritional approach. It suckered you in with the "Carb Options" name to make you think that it deserted its core business: selling sugar-in-a-can.

As stated in my initial message, i've tossed the Carb Options out(where they belong). Regardless, i'm on the right track and almost at goal.

Thank you for your OPINION.

Ladycody Sat, Jun-05-04 12:02

Gotta say PacNW...people come here for support and to share info...now this is just my opinion...but making a comment that sounds a whole lot like "well...what did you expect idiot"...isnt very supportive. Just a little note. Phrasing can be hurtful....and people dont instantly "know" all the in's and out's and tricks of this WOE...it's a learning process....so sharing mistakes and info should be recognized with acknowledgement, support, and gratitude(if you learn something new). JMHO

Elsah Sat, Jun-05-04 12:05

That so sucks SFMOM. :( I know when I first started seeing things marked low carb or atkins I just assumed it was okay. It's a shame companies are allowed to be so misleading. As for the peanut butter I can say that the smuckers natural is wonderful! Even my kids love it. ;)

Jenn

RoseTattoo Sat, Jun-05-04 12:39

In my experience, all peanut butters--low carb or not--that don't say "natural" or "containing only peanuts" on the label, have hydrogenated oils.

Let the buyer beware! :)

jbird Sat, Jun-05-04 13:33

I've done so well low carbing (avoiding sugar and white flour etc) so VERY ocasionally now I will buy a LC product I know has corn syrup or something in it. But like I said I'm almost at goal and its an occasional thing. In my opinion its one of those things that makes my life easier at times, and also easier to stick to the WOE forever.

So you may not want to throw it away next time cause even if it does have a few bad ingrediants you may be able to tolerate it later in in the WOE in very small doses once you are closer to goal. (Well of course assuming it doesn't have a next week exp. date or anything)

Good luck
Jenny

blessedbei Sat, Jun-05-04 14:00

Personally, I don't see the big deal and I can't believe you threw the stuff out.

black57 Sat, Jun-05-04 14:04

I personally would not have pitched it. I don't eat enough of steak sauce or peanut butter in a setting for it to even affect me. Once it was gone, I would never buy it again. I would have also written the company with a respectful complaint. Companies get ideas for their products through the suggestions of thier customers. They appreciate the time that a customer takes regarding the quality of a product.There are even commercials that are no longer broadcast on TV because customers complained.

LilaCotton Sat, Jun-05-04 14:11

I have a huge axe to grind with these companies--and I'd like to grind it sharp. They slap a label onto a product and unfortunately all too many people are in a hurry shopping or whatever and just grab the product off the shelves without thinking to check labels. It happens to the best of us. ;)

Instead of throwing them away, though, you should have taken them back to the store and got a refund, explaining how these products aren't suited to an LC lifestyle and why. If people would return this stuff instead of tossing it, the manufacturers might start to get a clue.

As for peanut butter, stick with the all-natural stuff. One of our stores has a grind-your-own peanut butter in their bulk section, and all the major groceries in our area carry (and have as long as I can remember) Adams all-natural (peanuts and a little salt).

I personally don't think a tiny bit of corn syrup or sugar is going to hurt a person unless it starts serious cravings, and in most cases it won't. Unfortunately you'll never know until you try a product. Check the carb count and see how much of the carbs come from sugars.

There are salad dressings on the market that are a lot better option than the Carb Options dressings. If you have a WalMart, check out their store brand dressings (Great Value). Several of them have 0 carbs, and run around $1.17 per bottle. The problem in our family is with 4 low-carbers, we go through a lot of salad dressing and it would be pretty easy to spend $20 a month just on dressings. We buy some that are spendier, but when I can I also throw in some cheap stuff. ;)