Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Tips and Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   rude awakening. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=121157)

saara Tue, Jul-08-03 09:40

rude awakening.

WOW! i was recently stalled with my weight even increasing one week. i was doing everything right...i was trying to point the finger at low carb bars, artificial sweeteners, etc. so finally i decided to count my caloric intake one average day. holy moly! 2800!!! i included EVERYTHING (oils i cook with, etc.) wow, no wonder i was stalled out! i never imagined i was overeating this much...i am going to count calories (arrgh) for a couple of weeks and keep it around 2000. if anyone has any similar experiences to share and what they did about it i would appreciate the input! and if anyone wants me to keep them updated, sure no problem.
:wiggle:

Peterpan Tue, Jul-08-03 12:48

Saara

I have been "bouncing" since the end of week 2! I lost 9.5 lbs. now I bounce up from 1/2 lb to 3 lbs. I am on my 4th week of this and it is wearing thin.
I had thought of counting calories, but I ate so much bacon during the first 2 weeks, yet lost 9 1/2 lbs! I don't know what's up. I thought maybe I should go back on induction, but am not sure of that either.
If I get the time I may go into my FitDay journal and add some more days. I just find it laborous to do so. Half of the foods I eat aren't listed there, or you must constantely update for size etc..

Great idea, I think I will try it.!

Fat Tue, Jul-08-03 13:20

Me too

I have been stalling too, bouncing around 142 to 144 for the last week. I did stop drinking diet soda, so maybe that will help. I still lost an inch in my waist and hips during my stall. :Party: Happy am I about that.
Yes, I too at times in the past was eating too many calories. When I first started I went overboard with meat and cheese. For some reason I thought the more meat and fat I ate, the more weight I would lose. NOT......... :nono: I stopped eating so much cheese, and my stall ended until now. From reading the forum, it seems very common to stall off and on and it is normal. Your body is adjusting itself to the weight lose, before it moves on to lose more. I hope I said that right? I always look forward to moving on. I get shocked everytime I lose a lb or even half a lb. To me this LC diet is a miracle that is happing to me, and I will enjoy even the stalls along the way, because I know what will happen next.

saara Tue, Jul-08-03 16:04

thanks guys!

peter pan- you and i have a very similar track record! i lost almost 10 lbs and then bounced up a little. my only guess is that because some of the weight we lost during the beginning of atkins was water, we will inevitably re-retain as our bodies adjust to low carbing. also, our bodies recognize that we're losing weight, so we have to decrease the amount of food we are eating because of this as we continue a low carb lifestyle. i am estimating that i was eating even more calories than 2800 during induction, yet somehow managed to lose!!! i guess the body adjusts to low carbs and then says "hey, but you're still eating too much, babe!" who really knows, though, right?! i don't. but i DO know that since i started counting calories (note: not being restrictive, just reasonable) 3 days ago i feel my jeans easing up on my thighs! yea!! let me know how it works for you if you want to! we can help each other out. as for fit day, i really don't like it. i read the labels on food packages, use dr. atkins' carb. gram counter, and a calculator. it works for me :) ! kind of cumbersome, but i plan my menu at the beginning of the day, caloric/ carb count and all and it makes things much easier. anyway, we are hangin' in there together!!!

fat-(i don't like calling you that!) thank you so much for the support and insight. i totally agree that the body has to adjust to weight loss. i just get a little impatient (arms crossed, tapping my foot)! i am soooo looking forward to my "woosh" as everyone likes to call it.
:dazzle: CONGRATS on losing inches when your scale wouldn't budge...that's great!

guys, thanks so much for the replies. it's so motivating and makes me gain a lot of hope.

brokbabe Thu, Jul-17-03 11:58

hey

Hi saara-
Our stats are very similar as well. During induction I lost a little over 10 lbs and ever since it's been a roller coaster ride. I've ranged from weighing 142lbs - 147lbs! I'm about 90% sure my problem has been the "low-carb" bars.....seeing I've stalled ever since I've started eating them. Since yesterday I've cut both the bars and the shakes. I'm already noticing a little "shift" in the scale :)

I'm not actually counting my calories (b/c that'd make me go insane) but I am eating until satisfied. It's just not a good habit to eat when you're not hungry (unless it's been over 6 hours since you've last ate).

Anyway, I think it's great that you're taking that extra step. :cheer: Let us know how everything works out! Don't forget the exercise!!! :hyper: You may gain in muscle mass but your clothes will fit wonderfully

Good luck!
:rheart: Lindsay

saara Thu, Jul-17-03 12:38

hey guys!!!

hey guys! i just wanted to let everyone know that since i started this thread my weight has gone back to where it was before it "fluctuated" in the wrong direction!!!! :p
here's what i did: cut out the low carb "fake foods". lindsay-i'm totally with you!!! i've noticed big changes in my appetite since...i'm not craving the "fake foods" like i was.
i'm keeping snacks to a minimum...like a hard boiled egg or 3 oz. tuna. something like that. (only one snack a day)
as for counting calories, i did it for a few days. lindsay-it does make one a little crazy! :agree: i found what foods would total up to around 2000 cals at the end of the day and have kept that in mind when planning my daily menus. so an example of a regular day is as follows:
breakfast-3 eggs scrambled with 1 oz. cheese
lunch-grilled chicken breast
large salad (with romaine, spinach, radiccio, escarole)
2 T. blue cheese vinaigrette (yum! i recommend La Martinique. has NO sugar added)
.3 (or so) oz. blue cheese crumbles
snack-hard boiled egg
dinner-grilled salmon
steamed broccoli (around 1.5 cups) with butter
dessert!: 1 cup decaffeinated coffee w/ 2T heavy cream and 1T atkins syrup (usually vanilla)-so yummy and comforting!

TONS of water.
cardio and weights at least 3 times a week.
supplements: atkins basic 3, essential oils, calcium, CLA

anyhoo..i weigh on sunday...i will certainly keep you guys updated if you would like!

i wish you all the best of luck!

love, sara
:dazzle:

Fat Fri, Jul-18-03 11:50

Hi everyone, I lost another lb this morning. So here we go again. Stall lose, Stall lose.....What fun....Huh

GG'sMom Wed, Aug-06-03 09:49

Hi, Everyone!

I'm new to the LC forum and totally love it. I started Atkins June 26,2003. I think I've found in you my Atkins soul sisters! Like you, I dropped a lot in the first week (154lb to 147 lb), then RE-GAINED 3 lb in the 3rd week, and slowly took that off to end up at 146, where I hovered for the longest. Last wk. I was on vacation so I eased up on the carb restriction a little, and went back up to 149, but re-started induction 3 days ago and have dropped to 147. I took advice from some others on the forum who suggested "re-feeding" while experiencing a stall. I'm hoping I'll now break through and get below the 146 stall point I was at.

After reading your solutions and especially the post including the message from the Atkins.com people, however, I'm feeling seriously bummed out. To me, the point of ATkins was to take the weight off RAPIDAMENTE, while being able to eat all the protein/fat you want, pretty much. I'm feeling ripped off if I need to also count calories, monitor my protein and fat intake, and do serious exercise along with restricting carbs. For that, it seems like using the typical low-cal diet would have the same effect on weight loss with a much wider variety of food choice (including bread, for God's sake!). I still need to lose about 30 lbs, and am not looking forward to induction menu for the rest of my life!!

Any words of encouragement for me before I bag this altogether??

Fat Wed, Aug-06-03 12:46

Hello GG's Mom, GG is my DD's nickname. Anyway welcome to the forum. All the above I do not do, except for the exercising. Just floor exercises for maybe 20 minuets. That is with lots of time to rest in between. I have lost weight with just eating my green veggies and fat and meat. I do not eat LC sweets from the store. I am still on induction since April. I do have heavy cream with my diet soda. Stll have one cup of coffee every morning and drink diet pepsie. I tryed the diet rite, but I don't care for it.

There are a lot of us here who DO NOT count calories and all that stuff. To me this is a life time way of eating and I am not going to do it writting and counting every little thing I eat.
As for the refeeding, I myself would not do it, because of the fact that some people who are real HC addicts like me....may start craving sugar again.

Low calorie diets suck. It never did a thing for me. I could not eat all the meat I wanted...cheese...fat of any kind...heavy cream... Now if you wait induction through...that is without any cheats of any kind...you will get to like the foods you eat and lose more weight. Once you lose all the lbs you want to...you can start adding other LC foods to what you are eating. Everything takes time. Please do not give up your right to be healthy and thin again. This really does work. Go to the Success Stories at the top of the page..if you have not already...and that is just a drop in the bucket of people who are raving about LCing their way back to good health.

GG'sMom Wed, Aug-06-03 13:07

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom and for actually posting a reply! I'm completely new to forums/message boards/chat rooms, not just to the low-carber forum, so I'm amazed and thankful that someone actually took time out of their day to respond to me.

I'm with you--there has to be a little something enjoyable in the day (coffee, diet pepsi, whatever) to keep me from having a colossal wig-out. You should be really excited, though--you've really done well in only a few months! Hope to follow in your footsteps.......

Fat Wed, Aug-06-03 13:31

GG's Mom....I feel like I am talking to myself when I call you GG's Mom....LOL
Hang in there, you will not be alone on this thread. Others will respond. I just happen to be a home mom, and care for my mother, so here I am. Others are at work, and actually have a life outside the home. Anyway I thought I would just let you know that you are not alone in any of this....OK?
You are welcome. I love to talk to others who are just starting out on the road to health and happiness with their new bodys.

skeeweeaka Wed, Aug-06-03 15:08

I know what you mean by the rude awakening when you first post to Fitday...and how laborious it is... But I'm doing it for now to see what my intake is and see if lowering the calories and carbs back around 20 will help with this 2 week stall... It's crappy cause I feel better at around 30 carbs... I was hoping that the exercise would do the trick but I haven't noticed the scales moving at all... Will weigh again on Friday...