Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Diet Soda (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=86046)

showpuli Tue, Feb-11-03 13:40

Diet Soda

hi

i was wondering if any of you had problems with diet soda. i know we are not supposed to drink it, but like coffee - have any of you been drinking diet soda with no major affect on your loosing? I'm interested in your thoughts on diet soda.

thanks

ilona

jplush76 Tue, Feb-11-03 13:42

well read up on aspartame which is the sweetner ingredient in diet sodas(most) and you'll see its not pretty stuff.

I was stalled for a week and stopped drinking diet sodas and low carb bars with sugar alcohol and I started dropping 1lb a day for 5 days right after (also upped my water intake to 14 glasses)

Yaseruzo~! Tue, Feb-11-03 13:45

I have diet rite (white grape is my favorite) couple of times a week, and I don't think it's affected my weight loss. Of course I'm still on induction (day 16), so I'm not sure about the long term effects, but so far so good :)

showpuli Tue, Feb-11-03 13:56

diet coke

i trink TONS of water - way over the 8 glasses. do you think a soda 1-2x a week is fine? or will it knock me out of ketosis?

Yaseruzo~! Tue, Feb-11-03 14:11

Stick to non-aspartame sweetened sodas like Diet Rite. They use sucralose (splenda) which isn't supposed to affect your insulin level.

jplush76 Tue, Feb-11-03 14:20

When I stopped drinking diet sodas I switched to diet rite because it contains splenda. Have about 2 a day and I'm losing just fine with it.

viv Tue, Feb-11-03 16:31

Here are a couple more questions related to ilona's:

I've been avoiding all diet soda because of the aspartame & citric acid. I've had several people tell me that citric acid will knock you out of ketosis. Is this true? Has anyone else heard that?

Question: If we're supposed to avoid aspartame, why can we have diet jello? (it has aspartame in it) thanx, viv

freydis Wed, Feb-12-03 00:06

Quote:
Originally posted by viv
I've been avoiding all diet soda because of the aspartame & citric acid. I've had several people tell me that citric acid will knock you out of ketosis. Is this true? Has anyone else heard that? Question: If we're supposed to avoid aspartame, why can we have diet jello? (it has aspartame in it) thanx, viv

I have also been told that citric acid will stop ketosis. I do not know if it is true for certain, but I suspect it may be. I used to have lime juice on a regular basis and was not losing weight during that time. When I stopped juicing the limes, my weight started down again.

Jolly Rancher and Hunts Juicy Jels have a sugar-free version that uses Splenda rather than aspartame. Those are the brands we are supposed to use. If you use any product with aspartame there is a chance that it will delay weight loss. When I stopped using ANY aspartame, one of my stalls ended and I began losing again.

I'm so lucky! Pretty much EVERYTHING that CAN stall somebody stalls me. :)