Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Question about how exercise affects weight loss (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=171306)

freckles Sun, Mar-07-04 10:45

Question about how exercise affects weight loss

Hi. I started exercising a couple of weeks ago...not much...20 min. on a stationary bike, 20 reverse sit-ups, 20 leg lifts, 10-15 modified push-ups 5x per week. It seemed to me that the exercise slowed my weight loss. Because of my perception I quit exercising, even though I knew I shouldn't. Started feeling guilty about it and have started exercising again. Before I started exercising this week I had lost 1-1.5 lbs. I've been exercising 4 days and am back up with a loss of 0 this week. Could this be due to the exercise? There are other factors, but I'm just wondering if exercise can slow or stop weight loss? And for how long? Will there come a time when my body gets used to the exercise and the weight loss will even out...or should I expect to have slower loss while doing exercise from now on?

No matter what the answer is, I'm not going to stop exercising...I'm too convinced of the benefits...but I do want to have a sensible understanding so that I can adjust my expectations accordingly. Thank you for any opinions.

tofi Sun, Mar-07-04 11:08

You could be gaining muscle pounds while losing fat pounds so the scale "stands still". The tape measure gives a far better idea of how you are doing than the scale.

Gaining muscle gives you more tissue that is 'metabolically active' which means 'uses calories'. so you will lose more fat while low carbing AND exercising. Atkins always said that exercise was a necessary part of the new LC lifestyle.

So off you go.

Meg_S Sun, Mar-07-04 11:14

echoing what tofi said....

Exercise can slow weight loss, but it won't slow fat loss unless you're start to eat too much because the exercise increases your hunger.

I find high intensity training makes me very hungry. If I eat the way I WANT I would not lose fat.

On top of gaining "metabolically active tissue," damaged muscles (read, worked hard) can hold water, adding to your overall weight. This is not the same as retaining water and being "bloated" because bloat water is under your skin, making you puffy.

Congrats on making exercise a part of your life!!
take care,
Meg

AFwife Sun, Mar-07-04 11:24

I started exercising two weeks ago, 5 days a week and have not lose scale wise but I've lost another 3 inches off my waist since I started the exercising.

Keep up the good work, the scale will move again.

Lily

maggieb Sun, Mar-07-04 12:46

Hi Freckles,

I joined a gym were I have access to a personal trainer. The first thing he said to me is "Put away your scale and don't look at it for at least a month'!!
We take measurements here, we don't weigh people....

I have been only going for a week and have lost one inch from my waist, 2 from my bust, and one from each thigh!!!
I did peak at the scale and it hasn't moved either way.....
so hang in there and keep exercising...what everyone else has said is true!!!

I still can't believe my measurements have changed that fast!!! and I measured myself as well just to be sure.....

freckles Mon, Mar-08-04 10:34

Thanks so much for all the replies...just as I suspected, though was hoping it not to be true. :lol: I'll keep up the exercise with the knowledge that it'll slow the scale, but not the fat loss. At least I'll know and hopefully it won't get me discouraged. I've been measuring so that will have to be my new guide. Thanks again!

pha1226 Mon, Mar-08-04 12:18

Freckles - I've been exercising for 8 weeks/5x a week and my weight loss has been very slow. I've only lost 2 lbs in the past 5 weeks.

I try to focus more on the tape measure and how my pants fit. I had a pair of very tight jeans that I could barely zipper and tried them on once a week to prove to myself I was ok, even though the scale was stalled. Within 3 weeks, they went from painfully tight to too loose and I had to buy new ones.