Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Protein Power (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Weakness and joint pain on the Eades plan (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=107923)

JKB-Boston Sat, May-24-03 16:30

Weakness and joint pain on the Eades plan

Hello, all. I started the Eades plan 6 days ago, and I'm experiencing generalized achiness in my joints, weakness, and mental grogginess. The symptoms started a couple of days ago, and seem to be getting worse each day. I feel like I'm dragging myself around, very low on energy, like someone poured molasses on my brain.

I am taking plenty of nutrtional supplements (I have for many years), incl. potassium, magnesium. The Eades also recommend taking CoQ10, alpha lipoic acid, C, & E, which I am taking daily. I have never taken CoQ10 or APA before.....could my symptoms be related to these supplements?

I drink plenty of liquids, so I doubt my symptoms have anything to do with dehydration.

I really want to stay with this plan and lose the weight, but, if I don't start feeling better, I won't be able to work or function.

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thanks, JKB-Boston

Karen Sun, May-25-03 08:59

It sounds like you're going through carb withdrawal and the sensations range from headaches to achey limbs to flu like symptoms. It happens to almost everybody! :) As soon as you're through the withdrawal period, you'll feel great! Hang tight!

Karen

MsJinx Tue, Jun-24-03 14:48

Check out this:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/t39953.html

I have serious problems with arachidonic acid. EFAs do help. I have to watch my intake of eggs and fatty meat. I also had problems with rashes and peeling nails.

Best of luck!
jInx

2puttbob Tue, Jul-08-03 18:32

Thanks Karen. I've been l/c for 5 weeks. Down 9 lbs. Since I cut the carbs to almost nothing, I've had the same symptoms. Drugged, headaches, muscles sore and tired, joints achey. What a mess. But, your description has given me new light. I'm not a meticulous carb counter. I have traded carbs for protein and have a 30 gram powder mix in the morning. I'm waiting for the new found strength.
Bob

joizienew Wed, Jul-09-03 07:15

I started walking in the a.m. the same time I started low carbs diet. I am experiencing more energy and a boost in self esteem. I think it's the walking.

joizienew Wed, Jul-09-03 07:16

I also wanted to know how to make the strawberry shake that they talk about in the Eades tapes. Have you heard this, and do you know what to put in them?

Darnia Wed, Jul-09-03 09:46

This is good to know. How long (approx) is the withdrawal phase? How long does one have to stand these symptoms (if it happens)?

acohn Thu, Jul-10-03 13:14

2puttbob,

If your carbs are truly "almost nothing," (as measured by some software, like Fitday), increase them to the amount recommended by Eades. Even for a purist on intervention, that's 40 g/day, though no more than 10 g/meal or snack. Five weeks is a long time to have your symptoms.

2puttbob Fri, Jul-11-03 21:07

Carb Withdrawal

Actually, I have 10-40 grams per day. So far it's been pretty nice. I do miss white rice and corn tortillas but, gotta have some sacrafice. Withdrawal (I guess that's what it is) has just been mostly tired legs and light headedness. I can live with it. Considering a nice side effect is I used to have to take 50% more blood pressure medicine than I'm supposed to. After starting this, I noticed part of my tiredness was due to LOW blood pressure. I checked the other day and was 107/77. It has never been that low. I'm usually 130/88. So I was able to cut my dose in half. Also, I have a hiedal hernia in my stomach(thanks for the inheritance, Mom) and take prilosec. Was able to cut that in half. Overall, my health has imprved and lost 1 lbs. since 6/1. I like it.
Bob

2puttbob Fri, Jul-11-03 21:15

OOPS. Excuse me. I meant I lost 11 lbs. since 6/01. Don't want to discourage anyone.
Bob

skeeweeaka Sun, Jul-13-03 20:18

Protein Shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by joizienew
I also wanted to know how to make the strawberry shake that they talk about in the Eades tapes. Have you heard this, and do you know what to put in them?

I substitue a protein shake for each snack...for one shake you can use 1 scoop of Protein Powder, 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup water, 3 ice cubes, and a sweetner......you can also add cottage cheese it you like...sometimes I do... The shake is very filling and helps me at night when I am thinking about something sweet...

Also for snacks...I half the Protein Powder and the strawberries...to limit the protein and strawberries...counts for my day.... Also, check the recipes you might find other variations.

TJ

joizienew Mon, Jul-14-03 08:48

Thanks for the reply, I need to get some Protein Powder.