Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   LC Stuffing? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=314914)

joylorene Tue, Nov-07-06 07:42

LC Stuffing?

Is there such a thing? Or what does anyone else use instead? Just getting ideas so I'm kinda prepared for that big CARB day.

MsCina24 Tue, Nov-07-06 08:03

Hi :wave:
I've found a few recipes.
I was thinking of trying this one myself:

Savory Herb Turkey Stuffing
http://lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-bread05.html

surrealme Tue, Nov-07-06 08:27

Here's my stuffing recipe adapted from one on allrecipes.com

It's a low-carb DREAM!

ITALIAN-STLYE STUFFING
INGREDIENTS:
1 (1 pound) loaf Low-Carb bread, cut into cubes
8 eggs, beaten
1 cup diced prosciutto
1 cup diced salami
4 ounces diced pepperoni
16 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
ground black pepper to taste

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Place bread cubes in a large bowl and sprinkle with enough water to moisten.
Add the eggs, prosciutto, salami, pepperoni, Mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley and pepper; mix well.
Place stuffing in a fowl or casserole dish. If using a casserole dish, bake uncovered at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes.

I always make this and a regular stuffing with apples and pine nuts. Guess which one after three years has NEVER had leftovers!
Enjoy!

KvonM Tue, Nov-07-06 09:40

does anyone know of a stuffing that doesn't use bread (lowcarb or otherwise) at all? that savory stuffing that mscina posted looks so good, and i love stuffing, but i'd love to find something that's completely devoid of bread.

lisaz8605 Tue, Nov-07-06 10:32

I don't have an official recipe, but I'm starting to think about mixing together my LC faves...cheese, nuts, mushrooms, onion, celery, lots of herbs, eggs to bind. I'm also starting to think about dicing ham and shredding poultry (chicken or turkey) for additional filler and flavor. I'd planned to just skip the trad'l stuffing this year (make it but not eat it) but now you've got me thinking!

Bon Tue, Nov-07-06 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
does anyone know of a stuffing that doesn't use bread (lowcarb or otherwise) at all? that savory stuffing that mscina posted looks so good, and i love stuffing, but i'd love to find something that's completely devoid of bread.

I made a breadless sausage stuffing casserole last year. I got it from George Stella's Low Carb and Lovin' It site via www.foodnetwork.com. It has cauliflower in it and is very tasty, but not the consistancy of the real deal.

Bon

winterlily Tue, Nov-07-06 11:02

I make mine with everything you wuold normally put in, but instead of bread cubes, I use dried out pork rinds that I crush up into small pieces...I also mix an egg and cream cheese in it to solidify it.

joylorene Tue, Nov-07-06 11:27

Wow what wonderful recipes! I guess there are alot of options just have to think outa the "bread" box.

ElleH Tue, Nov-07-06 12:52

There is a great recipe for sausage mushroom stuffing in Suzanne Somers Eat Great, Lose Weight book. I have made it and it's lovely. It's bound to be posted on the internet somewhere. On FoodNetwork.com George Stella of the Low Carb and Lovin' It show also has a recipe for a stuffing that looks very good. You should be able to search for it there. Neither has bread of any kind.

Rosebud Tue, Nov-07-06 16:19

If you look in the "Contents" sticky thread in the Salads, Veggies and Side Dishes subforum, you'll see a selection of stuffing recipes. :)

Rosebud:rose:

IslandGirl Thu, Nov-09-06 21:12

and of course, there's quite a few in the Holiday Recipes thread, which is right here on this page for all to see, being popular at this time of year...

Holiday Recipes link, save you backing up and looking ...

:D

Linda_Sue Fri, Nov-10-06 13:42

I serve this as a main dish, but it tastes a lot like stuffing/dressing and has no bread in it:

TURKEY AND DRESSING CASSEROLE
1 1/2 pounds frozen cauliflower
1 pound pork sausage
20 ounces ground turkey
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped, 4 ounces
1 pound mushrooms, quartered
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
Poultry seasoning or seasoning of your choice
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a very large soup kettle, cook the cauliflower as directed on the package until tender; drain very well. In the same pot, brown the sausage and turkey along with the celery, onion and mushrooms. Season with poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Drain fat, but keep meat in pot. Stir in the cream cheese until well blended, then add the cauliflower and cheddar cheese. Adjust the seasonings, if necessary. Spread in a greased 9x13" baking pan; cover with foil and bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and the top is browned.

Makes about 8-10 servings

Per 1/8 Recipe: 541 Calories; 41g Fat; 35g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs
Per 1/10 Recipe: 433 Calories; 33g Fat; 28g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carbs

joylorene Fri, Nov-10-06 13:57

WOW Linda Sue that looks/sounds d-lish!!! I'm gonna have to try it this weekend - Thanks so much

IslandGirl Sat, Nov-11-06 21:56

I just yesterday posted a recipe by Tortoise, for an LC bread specifically designed for stuffing or for topping a casserole (kind of like having dumplings on top of a casserole, really) in the Holiday Recipes thread.

You might find this interesting.

:D

GlendaRC Sat, Nov-11-06 22:07

Sounds good Jude - I just might volunteer to make the stuffing for this year's Christmas turkey! I made every Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter dinner for 45 years - it's someone else's turn dammit!!! Like maybe DD, or DIL :agree: BUT ... if I don't make the stuffing, at least I'll make the bread for it! Nice to find I can have bread stuffing again ... no-one here is very fond of sausage stuffing, at least not without bread to lighten it up!