Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   REAL CHEESECAKE !!!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=35533)

Chloep Wed, Feb-27-02 05:32

REAL CHEESECAKE !!!!!

I was thinking abt the real cheesecake, those you see at Starbucks.

And I did a carbo count based on the usual recipe for an AMerican Cheesecake.
Here's the usual ingredient for a 12 serving cake :

1 cup crushed biscuits (530 calories, 24g fat, 76g carbs)
1 TBSP butter (100 calories, 11g fat)
2 lbs cream cheese (3200 calories, 320gfat, 4g carbs)
1 cup sugar (773 calories, 200g carbs)
4 eggs (300 calories, 20g fat, 2g carbs)

Total calories = 4900 (408 calories each)
Total fat = 375g (31g fat each)
Total carbs = 282g (23g carbs each)

abt 23g of carbs for a real pc of cheesecake ?? Or maybe 30g if the cake is abit sweeter than the norm.

If hubby and I share a pc of cheesecake at Starbucks, its not too much of a sin right ?????

Thats abt 15g of carbs each. We'd prob make sure we have no more carbs for the rest of the day !!!

Thing is I can't succeed in making the No-bake Vancouver cheesecake (Karen's recipe). Never able to get the egg whites to rise ... So I'll just have to buy the real thing !!!

Your views please !!!

Natrushka Wed, Feb-27-02 07:47

Carb count

I think your carbs are off. Depending on the cream cheese, 2 lbs would have 25-30g of carbs.

If you can't get the egg whites to rise then omit them - I can't imagine the taste would be that different.

Nat

melanie 27 Wed, Feb-27-02 11:06

Heres my recipe

2 8 oz packages cream cheese
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
mix in a bowl on high speed tell smooth

in a seperate bowl add
1 cup boiled water
No flavor gelatin
1/2 cup splenda granuals
mix well tell desolved

Mix in gelatin mixture to cream cheese mixture on high speed 3 minutes or until smooth &thick..Refrigerate 5 hrs cut into 12 peice sections.. pieces should be about 1 1/2 inches wide I'll figure out the carbs & post back...

melanie 27 Wed, Feb-27-02 11:23

Ok heres fit day results

Whole cake 37.25 grams carbs
Cut into 12 pieces 3.1 carbs per slice
cut into 10 pieces 3.7 carbs
cut into 8 pieces 4.6 carbs

Its actually lower then I thought in carbs..
But be careful I got addicted to it so Had to limit it to once a week now. You can also add Extract flavorings to the gelitin mixture before you mix every thing Ive tried Carmel flavoring & strawberry so far. :yum: see you dont half to cheat oh yea I dont use a crust that just adds the carbs up I poor the mixture into a glass pie dish & once its fully set it comes right out.I dont miss any crust as ive always ate just the filling any ways.hope you try it & enjoy see you dont gotta cheat :D This is a leagal food I actually had A guy in church whos also on atkins tell me he can have sara lee cheesecake on atkins yeah right !!!Gotta give his wife my recipe...well hope this helps :wave:

agonycat Wed, Feb-27-02 12:24

Just one thing you should remember when eating real sugar.....the insulin spikes. It may be under 40 grams of carbs but what does it do to your insulin levels?

Insulin in the blood stream means no fat burn. Is it worth it?

Chloep Thu, Feb-28-02 03:26

Thanks !

Thks Nat, you are right, my carbs count for cream cheese was wrong !!

i've signed up for a cheesecake demo class on tuesday. its conducted by a hotel. WIll watch how they do it, so i can make them at home !!!!!

My first try flopped terribly ..

Will attempt melanie's recipe after tuesday !!

cheers !

canamer Fri, Mar-01-02 20:48

Real cheesecake w/ splenda!

Hello!

I've recreated the family cheesecake recipe with Splenda....DELICIOUS and seems to be okay on induction but heck...I'm new!

Instead of a whole slice I divide it into large cupcake liners. I am not permitted to have any graham cracker crumbs on induction so I make mine WITHOUT the crust. Just as good in my opinion!

The carb count I came up with....2.6 per cupcake. Well worth it to skip the crust!

Let me know if you would like the recipe!

CRIS Tue, Mar-05-02 19:36

I WANT THE RECIPE!

CANAMER,
CAN YOU PLEASE POST THE RECIPE? I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR REAL CHEESECAKE W/SPLENDA RECIPE.

I NEED A CHANGE FROM EGGS AND THIS SOUNDS GOOD FOR BREAKFAST.
THANKS!

drehr Tue, Mar-05-02 21:11

I would love to try the cheescake recipe. How much gelatin to you put in?

canamer Wed, Mar-06-02 08:54

Absolutely NO gelatin. This is a baked cheesecake. Contains only cream cheese, eggs, vanilla and Splenda (and a dash of lemon juice if you like it - I don't).

I made these for my partner. One cupcake with sugar, one cupcake with Splenda. She couldn't tell the difference! Actually said the sugar one was the sugar free one!

3 - 8 oz blocks of Philadelphia cream cheese
3 eggs
1 1/4 c. Splenda (or less to taste)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice (opt. - not included in carb count)

Whip together until smooth and creamy! Mmmm. Yummy uncooked if the egg issue doesn't bother you!

Bake in large muffin cups (filled about 3/4 full) at 350 for 15-18 minutes (or until set)

Makes about 18 cupcakes at 2.6 carbs each (I believe)

If you want an additional topping on the cheesecake, the recipe calls for an additional sourcream topping.

TOPPING:
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp Splenda
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix and spread on top of cheesecakes and bake again for 3-5 minutes.

Let me know if you have any questions. ENJOY!

Kati

CRIS Wed, Mar-06-02 09:02

THANKS

THESE WERE REALLY GOOD. NICE BREAKFAST TREAT. I THINK I'LL ADD A LITTLE COCOA NEXT TIME FOR THE CHOCOHOLIC IN ME!

mjengels Fri, May-10-02 11:27

Cheese Cake

My husband makes the cheese cake and he uses crushed walnuts for a crust it is wonderful.

kahuck Fri, May-10-02 15:17

OMG thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys, thank you guys. Well you get the idea 8^)

In_Control Fri, May-10-02 16:57

I'm in Cheesecake heaven!

Oh my goodness. 1st treat in 8 WEEKs!!!! Thank you soooooooooo much!

kahuck Mon, May-13-02 12:02

Man Splenda is hard to find, however I did find a boxed version of the recipe from a companey called "Keto" it gave me 2 full pies. I only made one, it was eggy at first but after it was in the frig for 24 hrs it tasted much better.