Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Cookies (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=156865)

cosmic Sun, Jan-04-04 06:56

Cookies

My family eat a lot of cookies.

Which I always have to politely refuse.

Can anyone give me some low carb recipes to help me out?

Many thanks

(This is my 1st post)

RCFletcher Sun, Jan-04-04 11:05

I presume by 'cookies' you mean biscuits? They are easy enough to make using ground almonds. I usually mix this with soya protein isolate to lower the carb count or desicated coconut for a different texture.

Get about 100g of almond flour, melt about 25g butter and add 3 beaten eggs to it. Combine all the ingredients. Add a little baking soda if you want them to be a bit lighter. Add extra ingredients. These can be: splenda, cocoa powder, ginger, vanilla flavouring it's up to you. Mix the whole lot together well. Add a dash of cream or a little water if the mixture is too think.
Put dollops of the mixture on a baking sheet and pop then in the oven, gas mark 4 for 5 to 10 minutes. Or you can nuke them for about 2 mins.

I've made all sorts of variations on these - including chocolate chip (with diabetic chocolate) and a 'carrot cake' variety by adding grated carrots.

Good baking!

cosmic Sun, Jan-04-04 13:04

thanks for the info.

Soya protein isolate? is this soya flour?

How many should this mix make and what sort of carb count is it?

These certainly sound like what i'm after

RCFletcher Sun, Jan-04-04 13:10

No. Soya protein isolate is a white powder you buy in health food shops like Holland and Barrets. You can use soya flour but this pushes the carb count up. The only thing to count is the almonds. If you use all almonds the carbs in 100g of almonds is 6.9 plus maybe another 1 for the eggs. This is for the whole batch.
How much will it make? Depends on the size of your cookies! Try with 100g of dry mix and see how you get on.

RCFletcher Sun, Jan-04-04 13:19

Try this link
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ght=devon+cream

cosmic Sun, Jan-04-04 14:05

Thanks

will get some ground almond tomorrow

LittleAnne Mon, Jan-05-04 06:09

Biscuit recipes

Cosmic

I made these biscuits before Christmas just using soya flour. The almond ones were particularly good. They keep OK.

Biscuit Recipe

100g (1 cup) soya flour
45 ml (3Tbs) olive oil
8 g (1/3 cup) Granular sweetner
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
60 ml (4 tbs) soya milk (or water)

Flavourings: Caraway - 10 ml (2 tsp) caraway seeds
Almond: Almond essence, 0.5 oz flaked almonds

Mix oil and sweetner together, add the flavouring, add the flour and baking powder, mix together with the milk to form a soft dough. Divide it up into equal portions and put the balls of dough onto a greased baking sheet. Flatten the bisuits with a fork. Bake in an oven at 170 C for around 15 minutes.

I made 13 biscuits from this recipe, but they are quite small, for 13 the carb count is 2 each.

Next time I am going to make some larger biscuits, around 30 - 40 g uncooked weight and perhaps try sesame seeds as the flavouring. Might also try using cocoa powder and diabetic chocolate. Wonder how malitol cooks?

SarahWeb Mon, Jan-05-04 07:56

Anne - the granular sweetner - is that bought from H&B type places or local supermarket? I know soya flour you can get from H&B.

Thanks
Sarah

RCFletcher Mon, Jan-05-04 10:24

I've tried cooking with sorbitol Ann. It cooks OK - just like sugar - the big differences are that it doesn't change colour (ie it doesn't brown) and it is much less sweet than sugar.

The granular sweetener can be bought at supermarkets. It's the powdered one you sprinkle on things, not the little pills one. I find 'splenda' cooks better than some others.

SarahWeb Mon, Jan-05-04 11:15

so if I can find the powder equiv of the clickable pills people usually use in tea instead of sugar lumps? (sorry never been a huge sugar fan so never really had to by any other than soft brown sugar!)

RCFletcher Mon, Jan-05-04 11:19

You asked about granulated sweetener and where to buy it, not me.

SarahWeb Mon, Jan-05-04 11:32

eh? yeah I know I asked and I was clarifying what you meant! As your answer didn't quite give me a 'picture' in my head? so.....
Quote:
so if I can find the powder equiv of the clickable pills people usually use in tea instead of sugar lumps?
is that what I am looking for?

:confused:

doogieb Mon, Jan-05-04 14:49

SarahWeb - I'm sure LittleAnne will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing she's talking about granulated Splenda.

You'll normally find this in your supermarket beside the sugar, hermasetas etc, in both granular and tablet form.

The granular has 1g carb per g of product due to the filler added to make it flow more like sugar and be equivalent in volume for recipes.

A lot of the time when I use Splenda, I use the tablets as suggested in a previous thread here, and grind them up with a mortar and pestle.

You can find out more info about Splenda, including pictures of what you're looking for at their website:- http://www.splenda.co.uk/site/about...da/line_up.html

cosmic Mon, Jan-05-04 15:24

thanks for the recipes.

I just tried the one at the top of the post with some crumbled diabetic choc.

I would say it came out as a chocolate bread after 10 mins. How long should I cook it for to make it more like a biscuit (crunchy)

Thanks in advance

additionally whats the best way to store these and how long do they keep for?

LittleAnne Tue, Jan-06-04 02:41

Hi Sarah

Yes, I buy granular sweetner from the supermarket. I've just finished a jar of Hermestas Gold bought over a year ago before Splenda was available. I've now got a jar of Splenda, but have not opened it yet.

Some of the pills you put in your tea are not surposed to be that good for cooking. Have not tried using the crushed up pills as sweetner, but do know others that do.

Thanks Doogie for your comments and the link to the pictures. Good post.