Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I just gained five pounds in one day!!!! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=57458)

Further Fri, Aug-23-02 05:29

I just gained five pounds in one day!!!!

How did i do that? I am so dissapointed. I've been on maintainence for a couple months so I've been uptaking the carbs but yesterday, I think I totally overdid it. But how can I gain five pounds in one day?!!!!!

Yesterday, I was so bad. I had started out well. I had this huge cheese omlet and a salad with blue cheese from ihop....then I just gradually got worse. I had a low carb bagel with butter for lunch, and a low carb bagel and pizza for dinner! It was a bread fest!!! Btw, that one slice of pizza murdered my system because I was up all night with stomach pain.

All I know is that I need to get back on track so I'm going to lower the carbs once again. Fortunatly, I am no longer afraid of the scale so when I see trouble, I prepare accordingly.

agonycat Fri, Aug-23-02 06:17

Hrm.

Did you weigh in the morning and then again at night?

We all gain 4-10 pounds each and every single day. It's from consuming water and food. (They are not weightless) :) If you are not drinking enough water, your body will store it making you "gain" weight. This is why you need to drink a minimum of 64 oz a day. If you drink sodas or coffee, you need to drink even more water as the caffiene in drinks will dehydrate you.

No one gains 5 pounds of fat over night. In order to gain a pound of fat you must consume 3200 calories more than you burn up. So that means you had to consume 16,000 calories the day before. :eek:

If you ate something saltly or with nitrates in it, you are probably retaining water.

tofi Fri, Aug-23-02 07:53

Such good advice above. One should only compare weighings at the same time and conditions of two days. NEVER compare the first weight in the morning to any other weighing later in the day. That way lies madness!

If you do eat carbs (and that's not such a folly when you are on maintenance), your cells and liver will hold water and the material in your intestines will also hold extra water. So there's your gain. Since it's water, it is extremely temporary. Panic not, just eat closer to LC the next couple of days. Atkins says that when you gain a bit, you have Induction or even a higher level to fall back on until you lose the extra.

:wave:

wallylu Fri, Aug-23-02 16:08

Weigh in the morning?

I tend to weigh myself only first thing in the AM. I weighed at various points during the course of one day a few weeks ago, and nearly keeled over in hysterics at the fluctuation!!

It really was hilarious - I never knew it could go up (and down) so drastically. It cured me of my scale obsession, though, cuz it really doesn't matter. Also, SheilaRaye mentioned weekly averaging of weight to me, which also makes sense.

Don't sweat it!!! You're fine!!! You're probably full of water!

Hang in there.

:daze:

bambigirl Mon, Aug-26-02 17:20

WATER WEIGHT

Eating all those carbs made your body secrete insulin a hormone that also attracts water. I've seen people gain 7-10 lbs of water weight in a matter of a day or two. If you eat low carb for the next several days, you should lose the water and the weight