Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Need potassium! Help (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=189014)

MelbaT Thu, Jun-03-04 21:03

Need potassium! Help

What foods can we have that has a good potassium level in it? My feet/legs are starting to cramp bad and I know from experience it is because my potassium level has dropped. I used to eat bananas all the time but stopped since I started on Atkins.

Anniemt Thu, Jun-03-04 21:19

I used to have the same problem and what I noticed was that I get leg cramps when I don't drink enough water. I started using morton "no salt" which has potassium in it, started a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement and make sure to drink all my water and I no longer have the leg cramps. Hang in there, I know how miserable they are!

threejs Thu, Jun-03-04 21:49

Eat your veggies.Especially green ones. Spinach in your salad will up your potassium, and some broccoli too. My hubby was skimping on the salads and he got charlie horses, while I never had any problem ( I had all the salad stuff here at home) Do a google search on potassium and vegetables, you'll see a huge variety. Even some nuts like Almonds, pecans, cashew, brazil nuts have potassium.

One other thing, the Atkins Advantage Shakes have a good bit of potassium, and only 1 net carb. You could have one of those for breakfast .

Elsah Fri, Jun-04-04 05:18

I had cramps in my feet twice last week too. I know I get enough potassium so is there some other mineral that you need in order to absorb the potassium that I am missing maybe??

Jenn

doreen T Fri, Jun-04-04 06:32

Bananas aren't bad as far as potassium content, but there are other foods such as avocados and salmon that are much higher. :)

Check out this thread for a list ... What's the best low carb food for potassium ??.

Doreen

Elsah Fri, Jun-04-04 06:50

I notice magnesium was mentioned.. do you need that too in order to absorb the potassium? Magnesium is something that I see a little low quite frequently on my fitday. That and vitamin D are pretty much the only things I seem to have a consistent hard time getting enough of.

jenn

Fridaylove Fri, Jun-04-04 06:54

Green Veggies are great for potassium...there was another thread written about this approximately one month ago...I believe.
You may want to also get a good multi-vitamin.
I find that I get cramps in my left leg when I drink red wine and don't have water afterwards.

BlitzedAng Fri, Jun-04-04 07:06

Ohhh, thanks Doreen. Good to know.

Angel

BoogieBlue Fri, Jun-04-04 08:13

Hi
You can buy a potassium-Mag suppliment...one pill....they are very resonably priced even in most drug stores and supermarkets....$3-$4 a bottle...I have to take a Water pill every once in awhile to help with the swelling in my feet...it flushes out all the minerals with it if I dont take a potassium supplemnt with it Horible leg cramps happen.....Big John

Karen Fri, Jun-04-04 10:11

Quote:
I notice magnesium was mentioned.. do you need that too in order to absorb the potassium?
You need it to absorb calcium.

Karen

libra81 Fri, Jun-04-04 10:45

avacados are good and so are psyllium husks, the powder form anyway I believe has a lot of potassium.

csolyn Fri, Jun-04-04 13:26

Elash- cramps are also caused by not enough calcium and magnesium. Many pills have them all together w/ zinc because they are good together. :)

As to vit D. Well you only need the sun, sunscreen free, in early morning or evening when the suns rays are less intense, for 15min a day.

Elsah Fri, Jun-04-04 15:44

Thanks CS.. I had cut back on my yogurt in the past couple weeks and I am not a big cheese eater so that's probably what the problem was. Thanks again! :)

Jenn

Birddog Fri, Jun-04-04 16:00

I feel your pain I used to be plagued with leg, foot, toe, & ankle cramps. I was up several time a night trying to walk them out. I drink a gallon of water a day and take potassium, magnesium, and other assorted supplements. I eat 2 to 3 cups of green veggies a day and I still get them every now and then. Hang in there it will get better. :D

MelbaT Fri, Jun-04-04 21:03

Many thanks!

I just want to thank you all for your advice! I bought a potassium supplement today so we'll see if it helps. My feet cramp so badly, I almost can't walk. I also take a water pill so maybe I also need more water than the usual 64 oz.