Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Health (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   gout and kidney disease (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=77328)

monroe25 Mon, Dec-30-02 16:20

gout and kidney disease

My hubby( who is diabetic ) started this diet and his sugars shot way down and the swelling in his feet went totally down.now the doctor says there is no way he can do this diet because of his kidneys. I'm concerned because she gave me a diet plan for him that is full of fruit and starches.I think she may consider this a fad diet.HE HAS 20% use of his kidneys.
Also his gout has flared up and is pretty painful.
Is there anyone who has had this problem,any help??? :confused:
Also he takes insulin two to three times a day.
HIS WEIGHT IS 260 AND HE IS 5ft.10in.

UAGirl Mon, Dec-30-02 16:34

Hi Monroe.

I cannot speak for the kidneys, but as for the gout, my Bf has it and he does Atkins. He has been doing Atkins for 6 months.

First I suggest he get a new Doctor. :) (Really)

They make medication to control his uric acid. It's Allpurinol.
You should take a look at the foods high in uric acid, which are what trigger Gout attacks. These are pretty much organ meats, seafood and dried beans. Shell fish is a main triggering food. (also any alcohol consumption)

The Gout attacks can also be triggered by high cholesterol & high blood pressure.

My BF got attacks all the time when we first sent on Atkins, and now with a small dose of Allpurinol he has had no attacks for several months.

As long as he is under a doctors care, they should be glad that he is trying to better his health, whether it be Atkins or any other form of dietary change. Good luck!!

I know you'll both do well!! :thup:

monroe25 Mon, Dec-30-02 16:51

He is on 100 mg allopurinol but because of his kidneys the doctor wants him to use it only every other day ,although when he has these flareups I give it to him every day.She also lets him have prednisone( which helps a lot ) but he doesn't follow thru because his sugar sky rockets with this.

nawchem Mon, Dec-30-02 17:13

How about staying lowcarb but not quite so low start at 50 carbs and see how it goes. If you need the structure there are other plans that might work better. I don't why a person with blood sugar problems would want to eat much in the starch department and anything but the fruits that are low glycemic.

Many years ago I was diagnosed as diabetic. I panicked and cut all high glycemic foods out no candies, fruit, grains etc. In 3 months I lost 30 pounds and I wasn't even trying to lose weight. I tested my blood sugar all the time and walked and walked. I'd never heard of lowcarb and have no idea if I was in ketosis but the weight sure came off fast. So don't be discouraged you can personalize lowcarb and end up with something healthy for him.